Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
SeekingPractice

Greetings

Post by SeekingPractice »

I look forward to learning and expanding my knowledge. I hope to refine my practice also.

Thank you for having me.
retrofuturist

Re: Greetings

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Welcome! :smile:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome SeekingPractice!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SeekingPractice

Thank you Kindly everyone for the welcome. I hope to get some of my questions and querries resolved here. And to share if and what I can that might help others. Although, I am a seeker who feels far from knowing of that which I have sought. Practicing well, but not sure what I am practicing. I hope to find out soon.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

SeekingPractice wrote: Practicing well, but not sure what I am practicing .
Um...so...how do you know you are practicing well??
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi & welcome
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
SeekingPractice

Justsit wrote:
Because I haven't had an anxiety attack in almost 2 months now (and they are severe and have caused hospitalization). I go to meditation classes at the Avalokiteshvara Buddhist Center (in Denver), but if you were to ask me what it is, I could not tell you. All I know, is that Vipassana is the path I want to follow. But how to do that, I have no clue. I have a zen teacher here in my area I am about to make contact with for some guidance. I have been reading material for the past year, and am very lost in theory.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Zen meditation is quite similar to Theravadin in some ways, although not necessarily from the outside.

which tradition of Zen is it the teacher is from? and which country?

There is Dharma Wheel our sister forum for Mahayana and Vajrayana which maybe more useful for you considering you are going to be studying with a Zen Teacher, but I am sure members here can help relate what you are practising to the Theravada practices if that is what you are interested in.

Theory is useful, but more so when it is backed up with practice.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

SeekingPractice wrote:
Justsit wrote:
Because I haven't had an anxiety attack in almost 2 months now ...
Ah, wonderful! Glad vipassana is working for you.

Welcome!
Noah

Post by Noah »

I always find it inspiring to hear of physical and mental problems being destroyed by Dhamma practice. I think reading the Dhammapada is of great benefit as well. I recently bought a translation by Eknath Easwaran with an introduction that was worth the 11 bucks in itself :P
Evil is caused by and is the cause of future suffering, abandon at all costs! Cultivate virtuous qualities and live the happy life! Just as all wise human endeavors, from Physics to Philosophy, approach the Dhamma; be fearless in your reverence for it- The time for the True Law is yet to dawn in the west!! :D