I'm so depressed

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Lampang

Re: I'm so depressed

Post by Lampang »

the more I read up on Buddhism the worse I feel. All the stories of being trapped in hell realms, animal realms, hungry ghost realms is making me feel so depressed.
So put all that stuff aside. There are plenty of Buddhists around who don't pay the slightest attention to this.

And exercise. In Britain, exercise is routinely now prescribed instead of medication for mild to moderate depression and it's been shown (by researchers at Duke, I seem to remember) to have better long-term results than medication alone. I've been hospitalized for depression in the past so I've got some experience of this and also an interest in how to avoid recurrent episodes; since I started doing weights, I've had nothing but positive moods. That could, of course, be pure coincidence but it's also in keeping with the research. And also, just hang on. Depressive episodes end and people get better. In the end, even the longest, darkest night gets broken by dawn.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...this (Dhamma Wheel) is hardly the place to learn it.
I (for one) have learned a lot here...thank you...
perkele

Post by perkele »

appicchato wrote:
...this (Dhamma Wheel) is hardly the place to learn it.
I (for one) have learned a lot here...thank you...
I am sorry for what I have said. It was certainly off the mark.
I did not mean to denigrate this place. What I meant was that this is not a replacement for real life.
I was just projecting my own stuff. It was stupid. I apologize :embarassed:
I guess many people can learn a lot here. And I hope I can do that, too.
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Coming from a Zen background, I agree with you. Words are secondary to experience.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
perkele

Post by perkele »

Thank you for not taking offence.

I must say that I do think this is a great place and it is wonderful that the Dhamma is discussed with great enthusiasm and interest by many well-versed people here, and I am grateful for that.

The reason why I was so negative (although my intention was not sinister) is just that I have my own problems in real life that I don't deal with properly, and of course that it's the nature of internet forums that they are also always places for some useless proliferation and discussions about nothing - which I tend to get stuck in a lot. Not always easy to focus on all the good stuff that is there and take it to good use. I seriously need some practice in focussing on important matters and restrain my negativity.
So don't take my negative comments seriously. I hope you accommodate yourself well here and take some insights into the real world where it is needed. :smile:
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

Whenever you can when you are on a train, or in waiting room, or just doing nothing, close your eyes, take deep breath, put your mind on your breath, your limbs, your chest, your bottom, your nose, everywhere you can "feel", imagine looking at yourself from outside and realise you are sitting here in your surroundings (of course meditation is much better, but if you are undisciplined like me, this is my Band-Aid).

Have enough sleep.

Cut down coffee or other stimulants, eat well & healthy. Oh and fish oil.

Sorry very dubious advice, but I am sincere, because these are what work for me.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

greggorious wrote:Do you think I should give Dhammawheel a rest for a while, just practice?
Actually I think you should give practice a rest for a while. Both Vipassana and Zen. I suspect you are not really practicing either anyway. Take lots of walks. Eat well. Talk to friends and family about other things than The Meaning Of Life...take up hatha yoga . Watch comedies. Read novels.
:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Contemplate the three marks of impermanence, suffering, and nonself. That's what overcomes suffering.

This talk by Ajahn Brahm will be of help:

What to do with Suffering
Last edited by Lombardi4 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Attend appropriately

as with everything it is how one uses things, not the things themselves.

Here is no more a place of proliferation than anywhere else, the reactive mind, going to the extremes can be more noticeable here, online, as the stimulus is narrowed down to a screen, however, the 'real world,' that of the six senses, is still present here, so ask yourself can the path fold of upright communication be used here? can the path fold of upright intention be used here? can the path folds of Upright View, Effort & Mindfulness be used here? these last three run after and circle around each other and support the rest of the path, until Upright Focus is reached, as we do not regret our actions of Body (action/livelihood) speech (speech/livelihood) and mind (intention) because we have Upright Perspective, Upright Effort, & Upright Mindfulness working together appropriately.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Get out to the open sky and start running, jogging, biking, or hiking at least every other day. Then come home and read Ajahn Brahm's wonderful essay "Joy At Last To Know There Is No Happiness In The World"..

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha201.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Can certain realms intergrate with each other. I feel like i'm in the hell realms (Depression, anxiety, anger), also hungry Ghost (Alcohol addiction) and obviously human too.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
David2

Post by David2 »

santa100 wrote:Get out to the open sky and start running, jogging, biking, or hiking at least every other day. Then come home and read Ajahn Brahm's wonderful essay "Joy At Last To Know There Is No Happiness In The World"..

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha201.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a similar talk as video online:

perkele

Post by perkele »

You're human. Make the best of it. Don't fantasize.
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

MN 20 - Vitakkasanthana Sutta: The Removal of Distracting Thoughts

Also:
Alcoholism and Depression often follow anxiety disorders. Did you consider grabbing a friend who can take you to a clinic and admitting yourself to it to deal with these matters? If you want to change things, that would be a right step to do.
manas

Post by manas »

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.