Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
abhishek_laser

Re: Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by abhishek_laser »

a
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

abhishek_laser wrote: Some of you have recommended that I stay in the monastery for 3 months or 1 year. But in the website for Wat Pah Nanachat they have mentioned that it is recommended that you need to stay there for 5 years, to really understand the monastic life
It could possibly take a few weeks to understand that is not for me.
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

Go for it, man.
Afterall, what have you got to lose.
except maybe your 'self'
abhishek_laser wrote:Thank you for all the responses given so far.

I think threatening to burn down the monastery or threatening to commit suicide would be considered speaking lies if you don't really mean to do it, both of which I really would do.

Some of you have recommended that I stay in the monastery for 3 months or 1 year. But in the website for Wat Pah Nanachat they have mentioned that it is recommended that you need to stay there for 5 years, to really understand the monastic life and i've read in many of ajahn chah's talks that he too recommends anyone taking ordination to do it for 5 years since he feels that only then do you have 5% of the understanding of dhamma, before that you have 0% percent :D
Zom

Post by Zom »

I would not recommend becoming a monk before establishing a solid foundation for that in lay-life. Being a monk is not a fun, but a hard work and serious task. While disrobing is called by the Buddha "a death in the Discipline of the Noble Ones". Very few people stay in robes for all their life. Perhaps only 5% of those who's got ordination. All others "are dead".
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

abhishek_laser wrote:Some of you have recommended that I stay in the monastery for 3 months or 1 year. But in the website for Wat Pah Nanachat they have mentioned that it is recommended that you need to stay there for 5 years, to really understand the monastic life and i've read in many of ajahn chah's talks that he too recommends anyone taking ordination to do it for 5 years since he feels that only then do you have 5% of the understanding of dhamma, before that you have 0% percent :D
The 5 years is if you ordain, you haven't even got to the point where you can do that yet, the 3 months is to give a taste and make sure this life is for you, and hopefully convince your parents you are serious.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
abhishek_laser

Post by abhishek_laser »

a
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

But, if you are not ordained then how does the visa situation work? Generally the tourist visa is for a max of 90 days.

bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Bankei wrote:But, if you are not ordained then how does the visa situation work? Generally the tourist visa is for a max of 90 days.
Yes, so he'll have to leave the country and return every 90 days, which is why I suggested give it a 3 month trial then decide on the next move.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

This may be of interest with reference to the social dynamics of WPN.

What the Buddha Never Taught by Tim Ward
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

ancientbuddhism wrote:This may be of interest with reference to the social dynamics of WPN.

What the Buddha Never Taught by Tim Ward
Worth a read as a reality check.
― Ajahn Chah
Zom

Post by Zom »

So I guess even my case is also uncertain, but anyway at Wat Pah Nanachat they do allow a minimum of 6 months of being an anagarika before being ordained. I guess this is good period to know if i'm up for it or not.
This is too uncertain ,)
There is such thing as neophytism - it may last for several years. During this period you will be excited by everything (simply because this is unique and new experience) and this excitement will help you to "be a monk". When this new experience becomes ordinary and dull (and it certainly will during first years) - this energy will fade away and there appears a high probability that you will disrobe.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Zom wrote:
This is too uncertain ,)
There is such thing as neophytism - it may last for several years. During this period you will be excited by everything (simply because this is unique and new experience) and this excitement will help you to "be a monk". When this new experience becomes ordinary and dull (and it certainly will during first years) - this energy will fade away and there appears a high probability that you will disrobe.
You may be right, are you talking from a position of experience? It may also be delay the journey and never finish. I'm sure there are many monks who entered the monesty with no long term view and not firmly established in the practice but who are still in robes today (for better or for worse :) ).
Zom

Post by Zom »

You may be right, are you talking from a position of experience?
Personally I have no experience being in robes, but I have friends who are monks (so far). So I have some information on this account ,)
I'm sure there are many monks who entered the monesty with no long term view and not firmly established in the practice but who are still in robes today
I'm not sure that "there are many" such monks ,) Perhaps this is a quite rare case.

This is a common mistake to think that once you get the robes, your defilements will fade away and progress practice will be fast, good and fruitful.
So I'm trying to point on the idea that one should be ready to be a monk before ordaining, no need to hurry.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Zom wrote:
I'm sure there are many monks who entered the monesty with no long term view and not firmly established in the practice but who are still in robes today
I'm not sure that "there are many" such monks ,) Perhaps this is a quite rare case.
I think you will find it to be the case with most of the senior western monks who were under the tuterage of Ajahn Chah or who are connected with that grouping
This is a common mistake to think that once you get the robes, your defilements will fade away and progress practice will be fast, good and fruitful.
I'm not sure if it is a "common mistake".
So I'm trying to point on the idea that one should be ready to be a monk before ordaining, no need to hurry.
I don't think is really possible to be ready except in the most basic and practical sense. If you wait until you think you are ready you may be waiting an awful long time. It is also quite possible the one's idea of "being ready" is quite wide of the mark.
;)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Zom wrote:
Reading the monks bios in the book "Seeing the Way" it struck me how many of them stumbled into the monastic life without really planning to, met Ajahn Chah, and later decided to stick with it.
― Ajahn Chah