The Life of Gotama Buddha

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I don't know how accurate this is, but I enjoyed it :smile:

tiltbillings

Re: The Life of Gotama Buddha

Post by tiltbillings »

It is a traditional Theravadin accounting taken from the Pali sources.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote:It is a traditional Theravadin accounting taken from the Pali sources.
Hi tilt,

Speaking of accuracy, did you notice that account had the Buddha's birth at 623 B.C. ? I know you have done some reading and research on the dating of the Buddha. What do you think a more accurate date of the life of Buddha is?

I suppose some prefer an older date, like 623 B.C., because it could make a founder/re-discoverer's status a little higher by the older he or she is. Most accounts use 563 B.C. to 483 B.C. and then there are some that put the dates a hundred years or so younger. What do you think?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

TheDhamma wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It is a traditional Theravadin accounting taken from the Pali sources.
Hi tilt,

Speaking of accuracy, did you notice that account had the Buddha's birth at 623 B.C. ? I know you have done some reading and research on the dating of the Buddha. What do you think a more accurate date of the life of Buddha is?

I suppose some prefer an older date, like 623 B.C., because it could make a founder/re-discoverer's status a little higher by the older he or she is. Most accounts use 563 B.C. to 483 B.C. and then there are some that put the dates a hundred years or so younger. What do you think?
Probablty 100 to 150 years from his death to that of Asoka reign, which pushes the time forward a far amount. Didn't some here post a link here to a scholarly article on this?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

There is a disputed range of around 400-500 years among academic scholars who have no personal investment in when he lived or died. I'll have to go digging to see if I can find my notes/links for this.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I remember the page but not the link. the authour settled on 500 as it showed that there is three different dates depending on the country sri lanka, burma, and thailand. I done a small calculation from the dates given and it worked out 512 or 515 were the mean depending on if you used all or just the earliest and latest posibilities to average it out, I am going with 512 as the full moon falls on my birthday that year :))

but yeah I know none of that could be considdered scientific
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Laura,
Ngawang Drolma wrote:I don't know how accurate this is, but I enjoyed it :smile:

There's a couple of ways to look at this, but I think you get the most "accurate" picture if you rely on just the Vinaya and Sutta Pitakas, but you get the most "detailed" picture if you include other non-canonical Pali sources. It's therefore handy when writers state the sources of the information.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
MMK23

Post by MMK23 »

According to Peter Harvey (Buddhist academic) the emerging 'probable' consensus of the Buddha's lifetime is around the area of 480-400BC. :reading:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Just wondering if anyone knows the factual elements that contribute to determining Buddha's birth & death dates. I recall something about reigning periods of certain Indian kings or princes, but how were they decided - archeology or...?

A full study of all the issues regarding His dates would be great - either here or a reference to some published work.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

For those interested in the proposed dates for the historical Buddha, one might summarize them as follows:

Traditional Theravadin dates: 623/4-543/4 B.C.E. (rejected by scholars)

From the Dotted Record Chronology: 566-486 B.C.E. (fallen out of favor, according to Dr. Prebish)

From the Corrected Long Chronology: 563-483 B.C.E. (fallen out of favor)

Ryusho Hikata: 508-428 B.C.E. (rejected by virtually all scholars, acccording to Dr. Prebish)

From the Short Chronology (advocated by Heinz Bechert): 448-368 B.C.E.

Andre Bareau: 500/460-420/380 B.C.E.

U.I. Hakuju: 466-386 B.C.E.

Hajime Nakamura: 463-383 B.C.E.

Richard Gombrich (most recently proposed dates): 484-404 B.C.E.

The most plausible date ranges for the Buddha's life given at a symposium at the University of Gottingen in 1988 seem to be: 484-404 B.C.E., 448-368 B.C.E., and 463-383 B.C.E. Most arguments hinge on the question of how many years (100? 116? 218?...) passed from the Buddha's death to the relatively firm date of the coronation of King Asoka. (Asoka's accession date is derived from references to foreign rulers whose dates are known in an Asokan edict carved in rock. His coronation date was probably approximately 268 B.C.E., although it might have been anywhere from 280-267. The Buddha's birth would then be 80 years before the date of the Buddha's death, based upon the univeral testimony of the various ancient traditions.)

An article summarizing recent research may be found here:

http://www.buddhistethics.org/15/prebish-article.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Great link sukhamanveti - thank you!
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
chatra

Post by chatra »

Excellent link. The pictures on the front page were surprisingly good, and they got me thinking ... are there any pictures of what The Buddha might have actually looked like? Forgive me for being a heretic, but I have trouble imaging him with gold skin.

PS: Yes, the "heretic" part was a joke.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Like a chap.
Wind

Post by Wind »

chatra wrote:Excellent link. The pictures on the front page were surprisingly good, and they got me thinking ... are there any pictures of what The Buddha might have actually looked like? Forgive me for being a heretic, but I have trouble imaging him with gold skin.

PS: Yes, the "heretic" part was a joke.
Perhaps "gold" skin refers to "yellow" skin. Like how we categorize people of Asian decent as being yellow skin. By calling it gold is a way of saying it is a radiant yellow. That's my guess. :)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

As I recall the Buddha said that those who have seen his Dhamma have seen him.