removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
mirco

removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Post by mirco »

Hi Friends,

if you want that smiley galore on the right not to be there, here is one method.
Of course, mental methods are welcome. But for the moment it would be

With Firefox: use adblock plus, hit left mouse button and add it to the filter list.
With Opera: hit left mouse button and block content.

Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.

Regards, :-)
Last edited by mirco on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben

Re: block smiley galore

Post by Ben »

Or one could just ignore it.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

mirco wrote: Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.
And can't see any smilies within posts.

I prefer piece of paper and some glue.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Alexei wrote:
mirco wrote:Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.
And can't see any smilies within posts.I prefer piece of paper and some glue.
Well, not really.

Under User control panel -> Boards Preferences -> Edit display options
you can choose "No" for "Display smilies as images".

Then you can see them in the texts. In their original form.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Took me a while until I knew what you meant with "smiley galore".
And: Can it be that you live in a mirror world? Left <-> right?

To stop the smileys flashing and twinkling while editing a post I usually just hit "Esc".

:anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

What is wrong with just not paying attention to them?
but just tried that esc suggestion and i was surprised it worked :)

yes I am a techno wiz :)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Cittasanto wrote:What is wrong with just not paying attention to them?
I post from work sometimes, which is acceptable in moderation and/or at break times.

It's not so much the annoyance to me it's what people may think if they happen to glance over my shoulder.

The turning them off option works in the user control panel works for reading posts but not for the writing post window.

I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mirco wrote: With Firefox: use adblock plus, hit left mouse button and add it to the filter list.
With Opera: hit left mouse button and block content.
Thanks for the adblockplus tip, it works wonders.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Goofaholix wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
Juveniles of all ages are also welcome to post on Dhamma Wheel. :hug:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Cittasanto wrote:I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
I felt the same way as you when I first started posting online. :jawdrop: I quickly found that communications in this media was flat emotionally, and you really didn't have any clue as to the intent of the poster. :shrug: Then along came "emoticons", from which the smiley cons evolved. :coffee:

And now, everything is just swell! :woohoo: :thanks: ....to emoticons. :toast:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
mirco

Post by mirco »

but just tried that esc suggestion and i was surprised it worked
Well, I think that is the very best solution.
Not ignoring, but accepting them and let go of the attention.

I can do that. But not always. Depends, how relaxed and 'sati'-full it is.

This morning, when I started this post, I wasn't at all ;-)

On the other hand the Buddha suggested to visit quiet, secluded places for meditation - with little distraction only.

Removing the smileys with one of the external methods mentioned above makes this 'place' more quiet.

:-)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

A couple of quotes are attributing this to me and it certainly isn't the case
this was Goofaholix responding to my post.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Goofaholix wrote:
I post from work sometimes, which is acceptable in moderation and/or at break times.

It's not so much the annoyance to me it's what people may think if they happen to glance over my shoulder.

The turning them off option works in the user control panel works for reading posts but not for the writing post window.

I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
well if you are worried about what people may thing if they look over your shoulder should you be doing it?

at the end of the day, it is abit of fun, for those in the mood or age (I am certainly of that age at times) it is harmless and most of the time I pay no attention to them unless I am reading a post, or wanting to use them.

May I suggest the teaching of the Buddha found in the Cetana Sutta (SN 12.38).

John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Re: removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I like the "ESC" suggestion.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Cittasanto wrote:well if you are worried about what people may thing if they look over your shoulder should you be doing it?
I already addressed that, it's not an issue in moderation.

Nobody here would have an issue with somebody reading the news or similar websites at work from time to time, but no online news website has a twenty or so flashing gyrating yellow gremlins shouting look at me on it.

Just a minor inconvenience.
― Ajahn Chah