''Dhammachai Tudongha'' mind recuperation after the flood

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DMCnews

''Dhammachai Tudongha'' mind recuperation after the flood

Post by DMCnews »

About 1,127 Dhammachai Tudongha monks from all over Thailand had started this ritual which is considered to be one of monastic disciplines. After 3 months of Buddhist Lent period, the monks received Kathina and it is one of their disciplines to go on Tudongha to seek isolated places to practice meditation.
Dhammachai Tudongha had been arranged from Jan 2 - Jan 25, 2012. A group of 1,127 monks started on Tudongha from province to province, not walking in the forest. They will walk through the total of 6 provinces, 365 km long, affected by the flood. These provinces are Bangkok, Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Suphanburi, Phra Nakorn Sri-ayudhaya and Nakorn Pathom.
There are 3 purposes of this activity:
1. The monks will practice self-discipline.
2. The monks will walk along the path of Luang Pu Sod, Phra Monkolthepmuni, Wat Paknam, Pasi-jaroen, who re-discovered Vijja Dhammakaya. They will visit the important places linked to Him, for example, Song Pi-Nong Temple, Suphanburi Province where He ordained as a monk, Boad Temple, Bangkuvieng District, Nonthaburi Province where He attained Dhammakaya, Paknam Pasi-jaroen Temple, Bangkok, where He propagated Vijja Dhammakaya.
3. To recuperate and revive the mind of people who were affected by the flood. Therefore, the monks will walk through these 6 provinces to inspire and give will-power back to the flood victims who are depressed and feel hopeless about their lives. Once they see a long row of 1,127 Tudongha monks walking peacefully along a distance of a few kilometers, they will regain their strength and blissful mind in order to fight any future hardship that may occur.
While the monks are doing their Tudongha walk, they will meditate, spread loving kindness and make a wish for the flood-affected provinces not to suffer at all or in another words, they will not have to face this dilemma again. The monks also make a wish for Thailand to be peaceful and filled with happiness.
Most importantly, we have heard from the local people who sat along the Tudongha path with their palms together in a lotus position to welcome the monks, that everyone was so happy, blissful and contented. Many of them even had happy tears rolling down their cheeks. Some people are over 70 and 80 years of age and they said that this was the first time in their lives that they had witnessed a group of over 1,000 Tudongha monks walking past them. They were in tears but they had regained their will-power to live.
We cordially invite everyone to accumulate this merit and good experience in life to follow, assist and welcome these Tudongha monks from today until Jan 24. The contact phone number for Tudongha path is (+66) 02-831-1000.
Attachments
dhammachaitudongha1.jpg
dhammachaitudongha1.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
Goofaholix

Re: ''Dhammachai Tudongha'' mind recuperation after the flood

Post by Goofaholix »

Instead of walking around, wouldn't it be better to help with the cleanup?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Goof,

That is already being done by bhikkhus.

http://www.demotix.com/news/955357/garb ... kok-floods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a separate action.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

cooran wrote:That is already being done by bhikkhus.

http://www.demotix.com/news/955357/garb ... kok-floods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a separate action.
Good to know, but is it being done by the Dhammakaya sect?
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Goof,

Yes - they did their part.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Thail ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As with the floods in Queensland last year, the physical clean up is just the beginning. The mental recovery in the years following is
the hardest.

That's why this thread and these actions are called ''Mind recuperation''.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The one
who follows the crowd
will usually get no further than the crowd.
The one
who walkes alone
is likely to find himself
in places no one has ever been.

Albert Einstein

Cf. http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/dhutanga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

gavesako wrote:The one
who follows the crowd
The one
who walkes alone

Albert Einstein

Cf. http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/dhutanga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good quote :thumbsup:
Are the Dhutangas often practiced these days? Are they practiced on a permanent or a temporarily basis?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Ytrog wrote:Are the Dhutangas often practiced these days? Are they practiced on a permanent or a temporarily basis?
In the Thai forest monasteries I've been in usually there is somebody practising one or two of the dhutangas, I think it's optional or temporary or both, and then the cold season is walkabout season.

I'm not sure what is described in the OP is really dhutanga though, appears more like a publicity stunt.
― Ajahn Chah
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Goofaholix wrote:
Ytrog wrote:Are the Dhutangas often practiced these days? Are they practiced on a permanent or a temporarily basis?
In the Thai forest monasteries I've been in usually there is somebody practising one or two of the dhutangas, I think it's optional or temporary or both, and then the cold season is walkabout season.

I'm not sure what is described in the OP is really dhutanga though, appears more like a publicity stunt.
It wasn't a reaction on the OP, but exclusively on Ajahn Gavesako's post. I agree with you that the events described in the OP are a bit peculiar.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Dhammakaya has organized a second season of the "tudong" on marigold petals through the streets of Bangkok. Not all residents are happy with it:

http://2bangkok.com/forum/showthread.ph ... tion/page8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rolleye: :shrug:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Prodigal Ark

Re: ''Dhammachai Tudongha'' mind recuperation after the floo

Post by Prodigal Ark »

gavesako wrote:The one
who follows the crowd
The one
who walkes alone

Albert Einstein

It's a brilliant quote I must say. However, it is misattributed to Albert Einstein. I think you can still make your point using your original thoughts rather than trying to prove intellect and forced credibility by using a fake quote largely misattributed.