Greetings from California

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
etile

Greetings from California

Post by etile »

Ello everyone!

I've been interested in Buddhism for about a decade, but in a very casual way. Reading books, musing about the philosophy, etc. Now I want to be a little more committed. I have no Sangha nearby that I can take refuge in, so I was hoping to use this forum as a surrogate. Here are some facts about me:

I'm 25, male, and reside in the Golden State. I've been interested in Buddhism every since I read Herman Hesse's Siddhartha as a freshman in high school.

I've been fortunate enough to take introductory classes about Buddhist philosophy and poetry at Stanford University, where I received a B.A. in Psychology.

Despite the above facts, I feel horribly ignorant. Sometimes I think this is good, because it keeps my mind open, but other times it makes me feel directionless and unprepared.

I've studied a few religions/philosophies in the past few years, and Buddhism is the one that resonates most strongly with me. There are a few things I don't like about it, and much, much more that I don't understand. My goal is to ask questions, and hopefully come to like/understand what I do not. And if that is not possibly, then to settle on a personal version of Buddhism that I am comfortable with, one that can give me peace.
cooran

Re: Greetings from California

Post by cooran »

Welcome etile! :group:

I hope you enjoy your experience on Dhamma Wheel.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome etile!

- Bodom
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome etile!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Hi, Etile.

It's wonderful to have you on the forum. I also am in the Golden State, was initially inspired by Siddhartha in high school. The story you outlined really resonate with me. There is only one problem with your post:
etile wrote:...one that can give me peace.
You will have to find peace for yourself. However, Buddhism is a wonderful map.

Metta - May you find peace,
Scott
:anjali:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
etile

Post by etile »

Hey, thank you all for the warm welcome so far!

Haha, Buckwheat, I agree completely with what you said. I'm sure that is one of many, many little mistakes I will make. I'm glad to meet someone else who was inspired by Siddhartha!

For the longest time, I've noticed that when talking about Buddhist philosophy, you have to be REALLY careful with how you communicate. Small phrasings that normally wouldn't cause much of a stir can have deep implications when you're dealing with such a profound array of themes.

Sadly, I can sometimes play it rather fast and loose with grammar. We'll see how many times it comes back to bite me.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings etile and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
Many of us have read Siddartha. You may actually come across a thread or two which critique's Hesse's vision of Buddhism as expressed in Siddhartha.
But I hope DW represents more to you than just that and that you find here some inspiration and companionship on the path.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Haha, sorry I did that on the opening post. :embarassed: It's great to have you here. :thanks:

:anjali:
etile

Post by etile »

To Buckwheat: No worries, man!
Ben wrote:Greetings etile and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
Many of us have read Siddartha. You may actually come across a thread or two which critique's Hesse's vision of Buddhism as expressed in Siddhartha.
But I hope DW represents more to you than just that and that you find here some inspiration and companionship on the path.
kind regards,

Ben
Ooo, I might have to poke around and see if I can find those threads. I know that Hesse comes from a cultural background that was immensely different than what he was writing about, and it would be cool to see someone pick apart his work. Even if his views are wrong, though, I think it has helped many people deal with various problems and worries.
Noah

Post by Noah »

Welcome!
I thought there were MANY more Buddhists in Cali than where I live (Atlanta). Good luck finding "peace" or any of the other intangible :P We are all seekers here so, I think, good company for the search!
I have studied many aspects of Buddhism and LOVE to share my understanding for the benefit of others and myself. I am nothing but a seeker but, here to discuss ideas!

Noah
Evil is caused by and is the cause of future suffering, abandon at all costs! Cultivate virtuous qualities and live the happy life! Just as all wise human endeavors, from Physics to Philosophy, approach the Dhamma; be fearless in your reverence for it- The time for the True Law is yet to dawn in the west!! :D
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

I just caught that the op said there is no sangha nearby... maybe not close enough for weekly visits, but I can't think of a place in Cali that's more than a few hours from some sort of sangha. It might be worth monthly or quarterly visits just to have some face to face contact with a monk or two. I don' want to press you to be too specific on a public forum, but what area are you in? I am about to move to the stix myself and I will be an hour from the nearest sangha. That will be rough after being so close for so long. It could of course be worse.
Noah

Post by Noah »

I live in Atlanta, Ga. There is a Tibetan temple downtown (Deprung Loseling) that is very active and open to lay followers with multiple activities per week open to public. There are also many Zen centers (Happy Science!) that offer weekly teachings and group meditations in zazen tradition. Also, quite a few Theravada tradition groups that meet weekly for group meditations and one downtown that offers 1 day "retreats" all day on Sat. or Sun. :)

The more I look into it, the more I see an active and large Buddhist community here, I am sure you can find like-minded individuals anywhere you look :)

Noah
Evil is caused by and is the cause of future suffering, abandon at all costs! Cultivate virtuous qualities and live the happy life! Just as all wise human endeavors, from Physics to Philosophy, approach the Dhamma; be fearless in your reverence for it- The time for the True Law is yet to dawn in the west!! :D
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Noah,
I apologise for not clarifying my question was for etile. I assume etile is not near a large city and there are large swaths of california that are probably hard to find a sangha within an hour or two. But if one can travel a few hours once in a while there should be something unless you were in bishop or modoc then your pretty much on your own planet. This really is a fascinatingly large and diverse state. but yes in big cities there are usually several options.
vidar

Post by vidar »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel etile!!! :hello:
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239