Ordination despite of child

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
bodom

Re: Ordination despite of child

Post by bodom »

Nehemia83 wrote:Hi everybody,

would it be possible to ordain as a monk if one has a little child to leave or would he be required to fulfill his duty as a responsible father and give up his dream of ordination??

Thanks for your opinions..
How regularly are you keeping the eight precepts? I recommend seeing how well you are able to maintain these eight precepts daily for a year or so before seriously considering ordaining.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Nehemia83

Post by Nehemia83 »

Well the situation is that i am not married to my partner (actually never considered married life fitting for me) and i have a lovely little daughter (three years of age). I would never just pack my stuff and leave her, although the child wasn´t really planned she´s the queen of my heart. But on the other hand i have recognized that this "normal" life isn´t and probably will never really work for me. I am more of a spiritual person and i am on a search for meaning and happiness since i am 14 (now 29). I am a regular meditator also..

I know that becoming a monk would be the right thing for me but on the other hand leaving my daughter behind isn´t an option at all!

So you see this creates suffering..

But i have the responsibility as a father to be there for my child at least until she reaches a age where she probably can continue her walk of life without her father right by her side..

I guess i have to practice patience and wait..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nehemia83 wrote:I guess i have to practice patience and wait..
A very good idea. And don't forget engage in bhavana day-in-day-out.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Nehemia83 wrote:Well the situation is that i am not married to my partner (actually never considered married life fitting for me) and i have a lovely little daughter (three years of age). I would never just pack my stuff and leave her, although the child wasn´t really planned she´s the queen of my heart. But on the other hand i have recognized that this "normal" life isn´t and probably will never really work for me. I am more of a spiritual person and i am on a search for meaning and happiness since i am 14 (now 29). I am a regular meditator also..

I know that becoming a monk would be the right thing for me but on the other hand leaving my daughter behind isn´t an option at all!

So you see this creates suffering..

But i have the responsibility as a father to be there for my child at least until she reaches a age where she probably can continue her walk of life without her father right by her side..

I guess i have to practice patience and wait..
'Not planned' huh...well I can relate to that, too ;) I just spent a wonderful day with my youngest daughter, believe me the love you feel does not just grow, it also becomes refined. You eventually learn what love is really about. You realize that, "Wow, so this love I feel for my child - warm, tender, protective - is how the Buddha advises us to feel (ultimately) towards all beings in the Universe?" It's not a bad journey to take, my friend. I apologize if my earlier posts sounded judgemental in any way. May you, and your dear one(s) be well, and grow in the Dhamma.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.