Vipassana vs Theravada

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Buckwheat

Vipassana vs Theravada

Post by Buckwheat »

Ben wrote:Hi Pilgrim,
pilgrim wrote:Don't forget the thousands of Vipassana practitioners . Which side of the fence do they fall in?
Realistically, we are Theravadin. What we practice is considered to be mainstream Theravada within Myanmar. U Ba Khin described what he practiced and taught as Buddhism as did Ledi Sayadaw before him.

If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then I think its probably a duck - even if that duck says its not a duck.
kind regards,

Ben
I'm kind of curious about the distinction between Vipassana and Theravada in general. I only recently noticed the distinction. The local "vipassana" group seems to be a group the Theravadans who heard a little too much of the Mahayana criticism of Theravada (too many rules) and decided they need a different name. This is a simplified statement, but it somewhat describes what I have noticed so far. Really, what is the difference between a Theravada group and a Vipassana group? I understand technically vipassana means insight and is a sliver of the path of Theravada, but in practice, the groups seem almost synonymous (based on my limited expose to the local vipassana meditation group that mostly follows a Theravadan approach, with emphasis on Thai Forest style meditation but with plenty of theory including some modern psychological perspectives).
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
cooran

Re: Vipassana vs Theravada

Post by cooran »

Buckwheat said: Really, what is the difference between a Theravada group and a Vipassana group?
Vipassana is a meditation technique - a tool to use when practising to see things as they really are. Vipassana can be practised by people of all religious faiths.

‘’Everyone faces the problem of suffering. It is a universal malady which requires a universal remedy, not a sectarian one. When one suffers from anger, it's not Buddhist anger, Hindu anger, or Christian anger. Anger is anger. When one becomes agitated as a result of this anger, this agitation is not Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim. The malady is universal. The remedy must also be universal.
Vipassana is such a remedy. No one will object to a code of living which respects the peace and harmony of others. No one will object to developing control over the mind. No one will object to developing insight into one's own nature, by which it is possible to free the mind of negativities. Vipassana is a universal path.’’
http://www.dhamma.org/en/art.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theravada practitioners may 'use' vipassana as a practice, but this is only part of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Zom

Post by Zom »

Really, what is the difference between a Theravada group and a Vipassana group?
As I see it from my contacts with vipassanists (that of Goenka) - the difference is enormous.
I would not call any of them to be "a buddhist" (and they don't consider themselves "buddhists" either).
Among them there are a lot of those with completely wrong views. Still, they feel themselves fine in "Vipassana".
For my opinion this is the result of wrong approach in teaching Buddha Dhamma - that is - picking out only bare meditation methods.

About a year ago I posted some information about the Noble Eightfold Path in Goenka's group in largest russian social network - and I was shocked when they deleted it and explained that "this have nothing to do with Vipassana" :shock:
Last edited by Zom on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Zom wrote:
As I see it from my contacts with vipassanists (that of Goenka) - the difference is enormous.
I would not call any of them to be "a buddhist" (and they don't consider themselves "buddhists" either).
Among them there are a lot of those with completely wrong views. Still, they feel themselves fine in "Vipassana".
For my opinion this is the result of wrong approach in teaching Buddha Dhamma - that is - picking out only bare meditation methods.
How well do you know about bare meditation method?

How do you do your vipassana meditation? Please don't describe how do you do the Samantha meditation. Only the Vipashana.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Thanks for clarifying. I think I see your point. The local vipassana group is fairly true to Theravada, with the addition of some modern psychological perspective and an emphasis on meditation, in part because they are influenced by Thai Forest approach. I did not realize there are large groups that are removed from the Theravada traditions and only use the meditation technique. Thanks.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Zom

Post by Zom »

I can't say this about all groups. I speak only about those cases which I met. I also know people who came to Theravada via Goenka's retreats. But they are few (I can recall 3-4 such cases, while many thousands participate in this movement). But generally I think the major point here to look at - is the interest in buddhist texts. If people who practise this or that kind of meditation are interested in them - this is good. If they deny them as something not essential and speak only "about meditation" - these are usually far from Dhamma.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Zom wrote:As I see it from my contacts with vipassanists (that of Goenka) - the difference is enormous.
Actually I'd say the opposite is true, the difference between meditation oriented Theravadins and insight or vipassana meditators is not that great.

I'm happy to attend retreats or meeting of either or both, from what I've seen a lot of Theravadin monks don't really see the distinction and are happy to teach or coordinate activities with insight meditation groups.

Sometimes the rituals and Asian superstitions that exist in Theravada get a bit much for me, sometimes the notions of "it's all about me and my personal dramas" which is more prevalent in insight meditation gets a bit much for me.

Ultimately the meditation practise is the same, when you have confidence in that then the differences of emphasis of different groups seem unimportant and I've benefited from both.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
vidar

Post by vidar »

Zom wrote:

About a year ago I posted some information about the Noble Eightfold Path in Goenka's group in largest russian social network - and I was shocked when they deleted it and explained that "this have nothing to do with Vipassana" :shock:
Really? how strange :thinking: . Goenka has always given a clear explanation of the Noble Eghtfold Path in different places , for example in the Discourses of the days two and three in the 10 day courses:
(...)
The path of Dhamma is called the Noble Eightfold Path, noble in the sense that anyone who walks on it is bound to become a noble-hearted, saintly person. The path is divided into three sections: sila, samadhi, and panna. Sila is morality--abstaining from unwholesome deeds of body and speech. Samadhi is the wholesome action of developing mastery over one's mind. Practising both is helpful, but neither sila nor samadhi can eradicate all the defilernents accumulated in the mind. For this purpose the third section of the path must be practised: panna, the development of wisdom, of insight, which totally purifies the mind. Within the division of sila are three parts of the Noble Path:

(1)Samma-vaca--right speech, purity of vocal action. To understand what is purity of speech, one must know what is impurity of speech. Speaking lies to deceive others, speaking harsh words that hurt others, backbiting and slanderous talk, babbling and purposeless chatter are all impurities of vocal action. When one abstains from these, what remains is right speech.

(2)Samma-kammanta--right action, purity of physical action. On the path of Dhamma there is only one yardstick to measure the purity or impurity of an action, be it physical, vocal, or mental, and that is whether the action helps or harms others. Thus killing, stealing, committing rape or adultery, and becoming intoxicated so that one does not know what one is doing are all actions that harm others, and also harm oneself. When one abstains from these impure physical actions, what remains is right action.

(3)Samma-ajiva--right livelihood. Everyone must have some way to support himself and those who are dependent on him, but if the means of support is harmful to others, then it is not a right livelihood. Perhaps one may not oneself perform wrong actions by one's livelihood, but encourages others to do so; if so, one is not practising right livelihood. For example, selling liquor, operating a gambling den, selling arms, selling living animals or animal flesh are none of them right livelihoods. Even in the highest profession, if one's motivation is only to exploit others, then one is not practicing right livelihood. If the motivation is to perform one's part as a member of society, to contribute one's own skills and efforts for the general good, in return for which one receives a just remuneration by which one maintains oneself and one's dependents, then such a person is practising right livelihood.

A householder, a lay person, needs money to support himself. The danger, however, is that earning money becomes a means to inflate the ego: one seeks to amass as much as possible for oneself, and feels contempt for those who earn less. Such an attitude harms others and also harms oneself, because the stronger the ego, the further one is from liberation. Therefore one essential aspect of right livelihood is giving charity, sharing a portion of what one earns with others. Then one earns not only for one's own benefit but also for the benefit of others.

If Dhamina consisted merely of exhortations to abstain from actions that harm others, then it would have no effect. Intellectually one may understand the dangers of performing unwholesome actions and the benefits of performing wholesome ones, or one may accept the importance of sila out of devotion to those who preach it. Yet one continues to perform wrong actions, because one has no control over the mind. Hence the second division of Dhamma, samddhi-developing mastery over one's own mind. Within this division are another three parts of the Noble Eightfold Path:

(4)Samma-vdyama--right effort, right exercise. By your practice you have seen how weak and infirm the mind is, always wavering from one object to another. Such a mind requires exercise to strengthen it. There are four exercises to strengthen the mind: removing from it any unwholesome qualities it may have, closing it to any unwholesome qualities it does not have, preserving and multiplying those wholesome qualities that are present in the mind, and opening it to any wholesome qualities that are missing. Indirectly, by the practice of awareness of respiration (Anapana) you have started performing these exercises.

(5)Samma-sati--right awareness, awareness of the reality of the present moment. Of the past there can only be memories; for the future there can only be aspirations, fears, imaginations. You have started practising samma-sati by training yourself to remain aware of whatever reality manifests at the present moment, within the limited area of the nostrils. You must develop the ability to be aware of the entire reality, from the, grossest to the subtlest level. To begin, you gave attention to the conscious, intentional breath, then the natural, soft breath, then the touch of the breath. Now you will take a still subtler object of attention: the natural, physical sensations within this limited area. You may feel the temperature of the breath, slightly cold as it enters, slightly warm as it leaves the body. Beyond that, there are innumerable sensations not related to breath: heat, cold, itching, pulsing, vibrating, pressure, tension, pain, etc. You cannot choose what sensation to feel, because you cannot create sensations. Just observe; just remain aware. The name of the sensation is not important; what is important is to be aware of the reality of the sensation without reacting to it.

The habit pattern of the mind, as you have seen, is to roll in the future or in the past, generating craving or aversion. By practising right awareness you have started to break this habit. Not that after this course you will forget the past entirely, and have no thought at all for the future. But in fact you used to waste your energy by rolling needlessly in the past or future, so much so that when you needed to remember or plan something, you could not do so. By developing samma-sati, you will learn to fix your mind more firmly in the present reality, and you will find that you can easily recall the past when needed, and make proper provisions for the future. You will be able to lead a happy, healthy life.

(6)Samma-samadhi--right concentration. Mere concentration is not the aim of this technique; the concentration you develop must have a base of purity. With a base of craving, aversion, or illusion one may concentrate the mind, but this is not samma-samadhi. One must be aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion. Sustaining this awareness continuously from moment to moment--this is .

By following scrupulously the five precepts, you have started practising sila. By training your mind to remain focused on one point, a real object of the present moment, without craving or aversion, you have started developing samadhi. Now keep working diligently to sharpen your mind, so that when you start to practise panna you will be able to penetrate to the depths of the unconscious, to eradicate all the impurities hidden there, and to enjoy real happiness--the happiness of liberation.

Real happiness to you all.
(...)
Within the division of panna fall two more parts of the Noble Eightfold Path:

(7)Samma-sankappa--right thoughts. It is not necessary that the entire thought process be stopped before one can begin to develop wisdom. Thoughts remain, but the pattern of thinking changes. The defilements at the surface level of the mind start to pass away because of the practice of awareness of respiration. Instead of thoughts of craving, aversion, and delusion, one begins to have healthy thoughts, thoughts about Dhamma, the way to liberate oneself.

(8)Samma-ditthi--right understanding. This is real panna, understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be.
(...)

Maybe the "Noble Eightfolt Path" that you put in that russian social network was something that had nothing to do with Dhamma.

Best wishes,
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well said, Vidar.
Like Goof, I believe the differences to be superficial.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I see these 'distinct' groups as being nothing more than different type of Theravada, even those which claims to be non-sectarian.
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Burmese Vipassanā is sectarian of Theravāda. As a contemplative practice taught by the Buddha it is nowhere to be found.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Zom

Post by Zom »

Ultimately the meditation practise is the same
The views, on which the meditation is based, makes this huge difference. As the Buddha said: From wrong views comes .... wrong mindfulness, wrong samadhi :reading:

So when make judgements, we should look not on meditation techniques - but exactly on the views of practitioners 8-)
Goenka has always given a clear explanation of the Noble Eghtfold Path in different places , for example in the Discourses of the days two and three in the 10 day courses:

(8)Samma-ditthi--right understanding. This is real panna, understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be.
And that's it? Is that all that he said about the Right Views? How about the explanation of kamma, about rebirth? That is, actually, an important part of this factor. And I wonder, why does he place the most important factor to the very end of the Path... while Buddha puts it in the very beginning :spy:
Maybe the "Noble Eightfolt Path" that you put in that russian social network was something that had nothing to do with Dhamma.
Really? Actually as you see this Goenka's version of the Path differs from Buddha's one ,) And I posted original version.
vidar

Post by vidar »

And that's it? Is that all that he said about the Right Views? How about the explanation of kamma, about rebirth? That is, actually, an important part of this factor.
He gives explanations about kamma, rebirth and many others aspects of the Path in the other discourses along of the 10 day course like in the day four and five when he explains the Law of kamma, the Four Noble Truths, etc., however, rebirth is not something you necessarily have to accept, not even if you identify yourself as a buddhist. But I suppose you know that, don't you?

We must also take into consideration that the 10 day courses are only a introductory course, "the kindergarden of Dhamma" as Goenkaji says.
And I wonder, why does he place the most important factor to the very end of the Path... while Buddha puts it in the very beginning
Precisely because is the most important factor of the Path he explained at the end and gives the greatest importance over the course.
Really? Actually as you see this Goenka's version of the Path differs from Buddha's one ,) And I posted original version.
Actually I see that the Goenka's version of the Noble Eightfold Path is no different at all from Buddha's one. :reading:

Best Wishes
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239
Ben

Post by Ben »

Zom wrote:The views, on which the meditation is based, makes this huge difference. As the Buddha said: From wrong views comes .... wrong mindfulness, wrong samadhi :reading:
Zom, I think its incredible that you feel qualified to judge that what a respected teacher is teaching "wrong view" based on your own incomplete knowledge of what he teaches and your own predelictions of what you think qualifies as authentic Dhamma.
Zom wrote:So when make judgements, we should look not on meditation techniques - but exactly on the views of practitioners 8-)
This is just a recipe for ill-informed judgementalism and appealing to your own biases. If we use the same logic then anyone who misrepresents the teaching of the Buddha (intentionally or unintentionally) means that the Buddha is to blame.
Goenka has always given a clear explanation of the Noble Eghtfold Path in different places , for example in the Discourses of the days two and three in the 10 day courses:

And that's it? Is that all that he said about the Right Views? How about the explanation of kamma, about rebirth? That is, actually, an important part of this factor. And I wonder, why does he place the most important factor to the very end of the Path... while Buddha puts it in the very beginning :spy:
Here, again, you display your very real lack of knowledge of what he teaches.
[/quote]
Because he talks about the last path factor first? You are kidding me, right?
ancientbuddhism wrote:Burmese Vipassanā is sectarian of Theravāda. As a contemplative practice taught by the Buddha it is nowhere to be found.
Mahasatipatthana sutta.

kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Ben wrote:
ancientbuddhism wrote:Burmese Vipassanā is sectarian of Theravāda. As a contemplative practice taught by the Buddha it is nowhere to be found.
Mahasatipatthana sutta.

It is a claim that satipaṭṭhāna is, in part, representative of the Burmese vipassanā tenet system, and this is fair enough where the later finds support in satipaṭṭhāna. But this is a specious claim when it is used to further another claim that Burmese vipassanā is the Buddha’s teaching. However, vipassanā can be found in the Buddha’s teaching, working along with other factors conducive to knowledge and wisdom:
“Dveme bhikkhave dhammā vijjābhāgiyā. Katame dve ? Samatho ca vipassanā ca. Samatho bhikkhave bhāvito kamatthamanubhoti ? Cittaṃ bhāvīyati. Cittaṃ bhāvitaṃ kamatthamanubhoti?Yo rāgo, so pahīyati. Vipassanā bhikkhave bhāvito kamatthamanubhoti? Paññā bhāvīyati. Paññā bhāvitā kamatthamanubhoti? Yā avijjā, sā pahīyati, rāgupakkiliṭṭhaṃ vā bhikkhave cittaṃ na vimuccati. Avijjupakkiliṭṭhā vā paññā na bhāvīyati. Iti kho bhikkhave rāgavirāgā cetovimutti, avijjāvirāgā paññāvimuttīti.

“Bhikkhus, there are two states conducive to contemplative-knowledge, which two? Calm and Insight.

Bhikkhus, when calm is developed, what is the benefit of this undertaking? The mind is developed. When the mind is developed, what is the benefit of this undertaking? Desire is abandoned.

Bhikkhus, when insight is developed, what is the benefit of this undertaking? Wisdom is developed. When wisdom is developed, what is the benefit of this undertaking? Ignorance is abandoned.

Bhikkhus, defiled by desire, the mind is not released; defiled by ignorance, wisdom does not develop.

Bhikkhus, therefore with the absence of desire there is the mind-release; with the absence of ignorance there is wisdom-release.

–A.N. 2.1.3.11(31) (Vijjābhāgiyā Sutta)
And all of these factors can be found in the Buddha’s teachings on one contemplative effort where ānāpānasati, which is the support of satipaṭṭhāna, leads to the fulfillment of satta bojjhaṅga and vijjāvimuttiṃ. (S.N.5.10.2.3. Ānanda Sutta)
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves