How do monks in non-Buddhist countries obtain food, etc?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tex

How do monks in non-Buddhist countries obtain food, etc?

Post by Tex »

I'm curious how monks in countries without large lay Buddhist populations, like the U.S. or England, obtain their food, lodging, clothing, and medicine? I'm sure a lot is donated, but I would imagine daily alms rounds would be difficult?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
gavesako

Re: How do monks in non-Buddhist countries obtain food, etc?

Post by gavesako »

Here is a proof that (almost) daily almsround works in the West (Germany):

http://picasaweb.google.com/muttodaya/P ... lmosengang#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://picasaweb.google.com/muttodaya/E ... nowNov2008#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other food & requisites are brought to the monastery by laypeople on the weekends, there is usually a list of things that are needed.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Abhayagiri monastery monks walk alms rounds in Ukiah, California:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

At one of the temples here in Las Vegas, families 'sign-up' for certain days of the month. For example, one family might sign-up for the 5th of the month and then on the 5th of each month, that family will be responsible for providing the monks with the lunch dana.

But as it turns out with many women and men both with careers, some days are empty with no family signed up for lunch dana. On those days, the monks take their cash donations, go to the grocery store, purchase food items, return and cook the food themselves.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello David,
But as it turns out with many women and men both with careers, some days are empty with no family signed up for lunch dana. On those days, the monks take their cash donations, go to the grocery store, purchase food items, return and cook the food themselves.
:o Isn't this a breach of the Vinaya ... monks handling money, shopping and choosing food?

At Dhammagiri, Brisbane, we have a roster - and with only a small group of lay persons manage to cover the daily dana of a nutritious meal for our ordained. We are present for an Alms round on the monastery grounds - it is in the forest about 40 minutes drive from Brisbane. We have an emergency roster in case of sickness.
Once, when a new monk was travelling from Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery in the U.K. to Dhammagiri, Queensland - his plane was held over in Dubai past the allowable time to eat - so he didn't. Missing one meal isn't a catastrophe.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Chris wrote:Hello David,
Isn't this a breach of the Vinaya ... monks handling money, shopping and choosing food?
Better fed than dead.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes, it seems to be rostered or planned in advance at the Melbourne-based Sri Lankan vihara that I've been to before.

With this advance planning, they're even going to bring me food whilst I stay there for a few days later in May. :thumbsup:

Very beneficial for me of course, though the merits obtained by the donors based on the quality of the recipient might be a bit dubious 8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Chris wrote:...monks handling money, shopping and choosing food?
Although the quote alludes to this being the case, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Do you mean if they have an assistant taking care of the actual transactions etc.?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: Isn't this a breach of the Vinaya ... monks handling money, shopping and choosing food?
It could be, but sometimes it is more than one day without a family on the roster, so . . . they have to eat.

Apparently it is quite common for monks to have money and some even have bank accounts. I agree it could be a violation of the Vinaya, but these are difficult times (when in a non-Buddhist country) and some concessions may be necessary for catching a bus or other small incidentals.

The Sri Lankan monks seem to be the most 'flexible' (for lack of a better term) and also store some food in the refrigerators. That way if there is no family on the roster for just one day, they might just eat the left-overs instead of purchasing and making new food.

Also, sometimes, a lay person will make the actual purchases or a lay person may even make the food, but store it in the refrigerator for re-heating at another day.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Most of the lay supporters at Dhammagiri are of Sri Lankan background. They are fastidious in assisting monks in their adherence to the Vinaya. All dana not eaten at the meal is taken home by the lay supporters. Ven. Dhammasiha, the Abbot, strictly observes the rules set down by the Buddha. Allowable drinks and medicines are kept at the Monastery. Breakfast cereals are stored by the lay people on the property, and someone is there to present these at 6.15 a.m. (approx) each day.

Actually fijinut lived there for some weeks, so he may be able to give an opinion and correct any inaccuracies in my understanding of the daily routines.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Do you mean if they have an assistant taking care of the actual transactions etc.?
Yes...a steward, or lay follower...
zavk

Post by zavk »

appicchato wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Do you mean if they have an assistant taking care of the actual transactions etc.?
Yes...a steward, or lay follower...
Dear Bhante,

How common is this? I ask because in Thailand and Cambodia, I've seen many lay people give money to monks on the alms round. And I'm pretty sure I've seen them handling money too. As David mentions, I was under the impression that it is not uncommon for members of the Sangha to handle money these days, if only for bare necessities.

Thanks,
zavk

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if I've seen in it Thailand but I'm sure I've seen it in Cambodia.
Last edited by zavk on Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
With metta,
zavk
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

What is allowed by Vinaya is something called "meal by ticket", so if someone gives a monk a meal voucher that they can use in a cafe or takeaway, that would be OK.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

zavk wrote:How common is this? I ask because in Thailand and Cambodia, I've seen many lay people give money to monks on the alms round. And I'm pretty sure I've seen them handling money too. As David mentions, I was under the impression that it is not uncommon for members of the Sangha to handle money these days, if only for bare necessities.
Hi zavk,

In Thailand most monks, for good, or not, use money...lay people, on a regular basis, do give envelopes, with cash, to monks...and in some places, though not often, people put notes right on the rice in one's bowl...

As far as 'How common is this?', although I have been to many, but not every, wat (in excess of 30,000 I've heard) , I've yet to see a steward, though they must be out there somewhere...

Be well... :smile: