Stupid curiosity...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
jcsuperstar

Re: Stupid curiosity...

Post by jcsuperstar »

i know some east asian buddhas have facial hair to show that the buddha is from the west, most of the time it's amida buddha with the facial hair though( like in your picture of the dai butsu in japan who is amida)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Speaking of 'facial hair' . . . some Sri Lankan monks even shave the eyebrows!

Bhante Gunaratana is a member / leader in the Siam Nikaya sect of Theravada and those monks shave all facial hair, including the eyebrows. But I am pretty certain that is just cultural, as the Vinaya mentions nothing about eyebrow shaving.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

TheDhamma wrote:Speaking of 'facial hair' . . . some Sri Lankan monks even shave the eyebrows!
All Thais as well...started a couple hundred years ago to differentiate themselves from Burmese 'spy' monks...
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

appicchato wrote:
TheDhamma wrote:Speaking of 'facial hair' . . . some Sri Lankan monks even shave the eyebrows!
All Thais as well...started a couple hundred years ago to differentiate themselves from Burmese 'spy' monks...
So why does it continue? Are there still Burmese spy monks?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

pink_trike wrote:
appicchato wrote: All Thais as well...started a couple hundred years ago to differentiate themselves from Burmese 'spy' monks...
So why does it continue? Are there still Burmese spy monks?
:spy:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

pink_trike wrote:So why does it continue?
Beats me...I pretty much ask the same question every time I'm shaving them... :shrug:
Are there still Burmese spy monks?
Wouldn't think so, but who knows?...not me...
nathan

Post by nathan »

A mustache would be handy for me here in Thailand. It would serve as a way for the endless stream of sweat from my head to drip off of the corners of my mouth. I like it here but in this one respect I do miss my snowy mountain home.
:smile:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}