Swine Flu

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cooran

Swine Flu

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I work for the Health Department here, and this is part of an email all staff received today:

What is the swine flu?
Swine influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses (these cause regular outbreaks in pigs). People do not usually get swine flu, but human infections can and do happen. Swine flu viruses have been reported to spread from person to person, but in the past this transmission was limited and not sustained beyond three people.

In late March and early April 2009, cases of human infection with swine flu (H1N1) were reported in Mexico and some parts of the United States (US). These have indicated that person to person transmission has occurred to a greater extent that has been reported in the past. The majority of cases have occurred in Mexico, mainly affecting healthy young adults. While some of these cases have been severe, initial cases in the US have not been severe.

While there have been several suspected cases identified in Australia, currently no cases of this strain of influenza have been confirmed in Australia after rigorous health testing has been completed.

Transmission

Swine flu is contagious and is spreading from human to human. However, at this time, it is not known how easily the virus spreads between people.

Swine flu is thought to be spread from person to person in the same way seasonal influenza and other common respiratory infections spread.

Being in close contact (eg. within a metre) with an infected person while they are talking, coughing or sneezing puts you at risk of becoming infected. Virus-containing droplets can land on the surfaces of the mouth, nose and throat of people close by. The virus may also be spread through contact with infectious respiratory secretions (i.e. sweat) on the hands of an infected person or other objects and surfaces.

Infectious Period
People with swine flu should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possibly for up to seven (7) days following the onset of illness. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.

How do I protect myself?
Swine flu is thought to be spread from person to person in the same way seasonal influenza and other common respiratory infections spread. So the best way to protect you and your family from swine flu is to take the following proactive seasonal flu measures:

~stay home when you are sick;
~wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand gel;
~wash your hands prior to touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
~when coughing or sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with disposable tissues which should be disposed of immediately;
~don't share items such as cigarettes, glasses or cups, lipstick, toys or anything which could be contaminated with respiratory secretions;
maintain at least one metre distance from people who have flu-like symptoms such as coughing or sneezing;
~consult your doctor if you have a cough and fever and follow their instructions, including taking medicine as prescribed;
~if attending a medical practice or hospital Emergency Department, telephone beforehand so that they can arrange for you to be seen away from other people.
Symptoms

The symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of seasonal influenza, including:

fever;
cough;
sore throat;
body aches;
headache;
chills; and
fatigue.
Some people have also reported diarrhoea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

Treatment
Antiviral medications such as oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza) can be used in the treatment of swine flu. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines which fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. Antiviral drugs work best if started soon after becoming sick (within 2 days of symptoms developing).

Antibiotics may be required for secondary bacterial infections such as pneumonia.

Health Outcome
Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe.
Serious complications such as pneumonia can occur. People with existing health problems may be at risk of these conditions worsening if they develop swine flu.

We encourage you to talk with health practitioners if you have any questions or concerns.

Prevention tips
For both seasonal and swine flu, the best way to protect yourself and others is to:

~stay home when you are sick;
~wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand gel;
~wash your hands prior to touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
~when coughing or sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with disposable tissues which should be disposed of immediately;
~don't share items such as cigarettes, glasses or cups, lipstick, toys or anything which could be contaminated with respiratory secretions;
~maintain at least one metre distance from people who have flu-like symptoms such as coughing or sneezing;
~consult your doctor if you have a cough and fever and follow their instructions, including taking medicine as prescribed; and
~if attending a medical practice or hospital Emergency Department, telephone beforehand so that they can arrange for you to be seen away from other people.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Swine Flu

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Fede

Post by Fede »

Chris, this is very timely and useful.

I attended a Government programme of Health & Safety at work yesterday, as our premise is changing from a mere delicatessen to one also housing an Italian Bistro-eaterie, so I have to have a certificate of food hygiene.

It's really very simple.
The best and most effective way of preventing the spread of harmful bacteria either to food, or to another person, is to wash hands and to cover mouth when coughing or sneezing.

And I have to mention it here:
In a recent survey carried out in local business premises (of all kinds)* the following question was asked:

Do you wash your hands every time, after using the lavatory?

Women - 87% said yes. 5 % said infrequently. 8% said never.
Men - 4% said yes. 8% said infrequently 88% said never.

Gentlemen:
Wash - your - hands - !!! :jedi:

And in every bathroom everywhere (particularly in premises where cooking takes place), the loo flush-handle, light switch and sink taps should also be wiped with an anti-bacterial cleanser.
It's easy, it's quick, it's effective.

(* this was a total number of just over 17,000 people).
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Chris

I was hearing about it all today on Radio National and a TV interview with a world health influenza (Laurie Garrison) expert on 7.30 Report:
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I heard yesterday afternoon that in the United States we're in a stage five alert. There's only six stages. :(
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

There are several cases here in London

:shock: .
Fede

Post by Fede »

...Left Luggage.....?? :D

I don't want to alarm anyone here, but I have a dry irritating cough, a bunged up nose and that tell-tale heavy feeling at the front of the head......they say keeping a certain distance from those suspected as infected, is an advisable option....

So just leave a blank post either side of all of mine. ;)

:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Too late!
I'm sniffling...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

We're overdue for a big one, and we've created really ripe conditions for it when it does happen. That what we do... :cookoo:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Thanks for posting that Chris.

Fede - that survey is gross ! :quote: (just wanted to use that smiley)
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Sadly the H1N1 'Swine Flu' has now taken 15 lives here in Thailand.

By: BangkokPost.com
Published: 10/07/2009 at 04:09 PM

The Public Health Ministry confirmed the 15th swine flu-related fatality on Friday.

The ministry's Bureau of Epidemiology said the latest death was a 63-year-old woman from Samut Prakan province. She suffered from valvular heart disease, high blood pressure and a lung infection.

She died on Thursday night and the ministry was notified on Friday afternoon.

More than half of the flu-infected patients were between 11 and 20 years old, the bureau said.
Metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
Hoja

Post by Hoja »

Well, here in Argentina swine flu has caused 82 deaths and we expect more, because the next two weeks are usually where the flu propagates more.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Fede wrote:...Left Luggage.....?? :D

I don't want to alarm anyone here, but I have a dry irritating cough, a bunged up nose and that tell-tale heavy feeling at the front of the head......they say keeping a certain distance from those suspected as infected, is an advisable option....

So just leave a blank post either side of all of mine. ;)

:namaste:
:rofl:
Perry

Post by Perry »

It's way too easy to hear about swine flu or another illness and brush it off as something you are immune to, so there's only been a few people in your country with it, and none have been anywhere near you, right? It's too easy to think you are on the outside looking in, but in actual fact you are right there in the middle of that ring, just as at risk as anyone else.

It's been spreading in the UK quite rapidly - understandable when you consider how densely populated it is - but it was always as if it was another UK, almost in another dimension. If I wash my hands and give the Stevenage Borough football matches a break for a few weeks, I'll be fine.

But the reality sinks in when it hits home, my sister was diagnosed with swine flu this morning, she's not overly worried thankfully. She's quite ill (swollen throat and drowsiness, "as if I've been drugged" she said), but she's keeping on top of it and it's not really anything that won't be cured by a few days of rest.

But perhaps this whole thing can in a way be a lesson to some of us, including me. Am I being truly compassionate to those suffering with it, or am I preoccupied with the possibility of catching it myself?

I don't know the answer yet!