Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
ground

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by ground »

I feel that eating has a strong impact on practice. What one eats, why one eats special sorts of food, when one eats, how much one eats, how often one eats ... very important.
Why is eating so important for practice? Because it is a "must" on an continuing basis to keep this body alive. E.g. in contrast to this sexual activity is just an option but no "must". And because eating is a "must", a recurring necessity and because the physical senses are directly involved it is so important and has a strong impact on practice IMO.

Kind regards
manas

Post by manas »

TMingyur wrote:I feel that eating has a strong impact on practice. What one eats, why one eats special sorts of food, when one eats, how much one eats, how often one eats ... very important.
Why is eating so important for practice? Because it is a "must" on an continuing basis to keep this body alive. E.g. in contrast to this sexual activity is just an option but no "must". And because eating is a "must", a recurring necessity and because the physical senses are directly involved it is so important and has a strong impact on practice IMO.

Kind regards
Undertaking the Eight Precepts can stir up defilements from the murky depths, i've found; it helps throw them into light. I discover that at night, I'm not really hungry as such, but rather, I want the food for emotional comfort. If I take dark grape juice and some molasses, the unease goes away. I'm really beginning to question - (excepting those engaged in daily physical labour) - do we really need three meals a day? Is this not actually a burden on our system?

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Having had "one meal a day" (with only a few exceptions) since Easter, I can say that it is very possible, very realistic, and I've never felt healthier.

It is interesting though walking around at lunchtime seeing people eating their swanky lunches...

Metta,
Retro, weighing 13kg less than he did at Easter :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

:candle:
Last edited by manas on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
manasikara wrote:I'm wondering if just one meal a day leaves you weakened at all, though.
Generally not... and interestingly, even though I only eat at dinnertime, most days at 6pm I'm less hungry than I used to be if I'd eaten both breakfast and lunch.
manasikara wrote:Do you really only have one meal?
Yes, though there are also coffees.

:coffee:
manasikara wrote:May I ask, what line of work are you engaged in? I'm assuming it's not digging up roads etc...
The above smilie answers that question too... heheh.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

Last edited by manas on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Just had my only meal, btw ,)

(practising that too for the last 4 months ,) Feeling good and more healthy as well.
manas

Post by manas »

:candle:
Last edited by manas on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan

Post by alan »

Nice to hear that you've lost weight, Retro. But did you lose fat, or muscle?
Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. And you don't want to lose muscle.
Best way to lose muscle is to sit around all day, and not eat.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:Nice to hear that you've lost weight, Retro. But did you lose fat, or muscle?
Definitely fat, but muscle, I don't know... I've not benchmarked any of that, nor really am I overly concerned since I'm feeling fine and I do at least as much exercise (granted, still not much) as I did previously. Oh, and I've bowled a few 200+ games lately (and even bowled 9 games back-to-back last Sunday morning!) so I'm certainly not falling apart at the seams.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

manasikara wrote:Ah, coffee...the noble bean, dispeller of torpor! The black drink that zaps light into tired neurons! Where would I be without it... ( --> :zzz: )

:anjali:
Less agitated!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Last edited by manas on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zom

Post by Zom »

I think that this is not too skilful to depend on some substances in meditation - like coffee or analgesics or whatever.

The right way to overcome sloth and torpor is to clean the mind with the help of Dhamma.
As I found out, when I'm slack in my practice, sloth and torpor overwhelms my mind. But if I keep on being mindful and meditate 1-2 hours a day - then I'm free of sloth and torpor all the time, every day, both in and out of meditation, and sometimes it is even difficult to fall asleep because of the aroused inner energy ,)
manas

Post by manas »

Zom wrote:I think that this is not too skilful to depend on some substances in meditation - like coffee or analgesics or whatever.

The right way to overcome sloth and torpor is to clean the mind with the help of Dhamma.
As I found out, when I'm slack in my practice, sloth and torpor overwhelms my mind. But if I keep on being mindful and meditate 1-2 hours a day - then I'm free of sloth and torpor all the time, every day, both in and out of meditation, and sometimes it is even difficult to fall asleep because of the aroused inner energy ,)
Hi Zom,
I'm well aware of the Buddha's instructions for the dispelling of sloth and torpor, and caffeine wasn't on the list as I recall. Yeah, I guess I'm just imperfect. It could also have to do with my often unusual and disruptive routines, however. (May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?) Furthermore, you took what I said the wrong way, I'm not 'depending' on caffeine in the way you seem to think, although as I said in my capricious way, it does seem to have it's uses sometimes. But I really have to be more careful what I write here, as I guess on an online forum people will take things literally, and miss (my obviously failed attempt at) irony. Anyway, we should be here to encourage, rather then criticize each other, so - I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.

manas.
Zom

Post by Zom »

(May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?)
Daughter, 6 y.o. .) She is cool 8-)
I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.
Me too used to drink strong tea at numerous 2-days retreats in our center (especially in the morning time). However, as I found out, this doesn't work too well. Dhamma methods proved to be better .)