ordination procedure book

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Gena1480

ordination procedure book

Post by Gena1480 »

Hello does anybody know where i can buy
ordination procedure book (hard copy)
it available in pdf
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ordination.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but i need it in paper
so i can make it a habit of chanting this book by heart
retrofuturist

Re: ordination procedure book

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

To save anyone downloading it to find out what it is, it's called "Ordination Procedure" and is by Somdet Phra Mahasamana by Chao Krom Phraya Vajirananavarorasa, and on Buddhanet it is 150 pages.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

It is my understanding that the procedure for ordination varies somewhat from place to place or from tradition to tradition so is this the ordination procedure book for one place or for one tradition or is it the generic sort of minimum requirement book which applies to all Theravadin ordinations?
chownah
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

retro yes it is 150 pages
it is going to take me some work
but i have to start somewhere
i wanted to ordain in Mahasi tradition but the monk told me to learn by heart 10 parittas suttas in pali and it is no less hard work.
and did not see a book copy regarding 10 parrita suttas, but they are available online.
i did not get the point why these suttas are needed. since reading a sutta about not clinging to rites and ritual
but the parritas suttas look to me like chanting rites and ritual (i was wrong)
well anyway i tried and failed.
but the ordination procedure make a lot of sense to me and i can relate why it is needed.
the purpose of why it needs to be learn is very important to me
otherwise my effort is very weak.
i do think that parrita sutta are important but not to a beginner like me in pali.
before i couldn't read long words in pali, now i can.
metta