Just a tiny thing

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
blackspaven

Just a tiny thing

Post by blackspaven »

A friend the other day said something so simple but something that struck a chord within me:

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing.

Made a lot of sense of the beauty of every aspect of the world and reminded me that all nature is beautiful, it's just how you choose to look at it and what perspective you have at that moment. It's hard not getting lost in the stresses of everyday life and actually taking note of the tranquility in even the most angry of storms.
cooran

Re: Just a tiny thing

Post by cooran »

Hello blackspaven,

Your post reminds me of a Shakespearian quote: '' for there is nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so.''

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quote ... king-makes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wh metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
manas

Post by manas »

Hi blackspaven,

that reminded me of something...
there was this book where I read Ajahn Chah had said, if someone dropped something into a deep hole, a hundred people would reach down and say, "I can't reach it, this hole is too deep!", but not even one would say, "my arm is too short!" (or words to that effect).

:P
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

That makes sense,always choosing to see things and person happily,chasing the bright side of life,the darkness will disappear. :jumping:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Two men looked out through prison bars.
One saw mud; the other, stars.

... which my father quoted to me when I was a kid, often enough that I remembered it and have been quoting it to others ever since. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Very nice quotes! Things do definitely depend on how you look at them. Unfortunately, I'm rather pessimistic about a lot of things, even though I know I shouldn't be. I've just always been that way, and, as we all know, habitual patterns are hard to break...
With mettā,

TG
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

theravada_guy wrote:Very nice quotes! Things do definitely depend on how you look at them. Unfortunately, I'm rather pessimistic about a lot of things, even though I know I shouldn't be. I've just always been that way, and, as we all know, habitual patterns are hard to break...
The realisation I have put in bold is the first step to breaking negative habits, and you have taken that step - congratulations! :smile:
Seeing that you have a choice is crucial.

:namaste:
Kim
JackV

Post by JackV »

blackspaven wrote:A friend the other day said something so simple but something that struck a chord within me:

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing.

Made a lot of sense of the beauty of every aspect of the world and reminded me that all nature is beautiful, it's just how you choose to look at it and what perspective you have at that moment. It's hard not getting lost in the stresses of everyday life and actually taking note of the tranquility in even the most angry of storms.
I like that
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV

Post by JackV »

cooran wrote:Hello blackspaven,

Your post reminds me of a Shakespearian quote: '' for there is nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so.''

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quote ... king-makes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wh metta
Chris
Hamlet is awesome. That one play has so many quotable and deep words and concepts.
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? When you bump your knee against a table, the table's fine. It's busy being what it was made to Be -- a table. The pain is in your knee, not in the table. The mystics keep trying to tell us that reality is all right. Reality is not problematic. Problems exist only in the human mind. We might add: in the stupid, sleeping human mind. Reality is not problematic. Take away human beings from this planet and life would go on, nature would go on in all its loveliness and violence. Where would the problem be? No problem. You created the problem. You are the problem. You identified with "me" and that is the problem. The feeling is in you, not in reality.

http://www.demello.org/article3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.