What are your food indulgences?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
zavk

Re: What are your food indulgences?

Post by zavk »

davcuts wrote:My biggest indulgence at the moment is pastries. I can't get enough doughnuts, éclairs, honey buns, cookies, cake, etc. Of course the best ones are the ones with chocolate icing. All I know is my indulgence has made me gain too much weight. Looks like I'll have to give them up. :cry:
Congrats davcuts!

I love pastry too. There's this Lebanese pastry shop that I visit occasionally (have you been there Retro? It's called Balha's Pastry on Sydney Rd). They have the most amazing baklavas and other pastries that I can't identify. They serve everything with clotted cream. And when you bite into the pastries, you can taste butter oozing out.. mmmm..... :)

It's really rich but I usually have it after a meal of curry or Lebanese/Turkish grill. It goes down very nicely.
Attachments
Lebanese sweet1b.JPG
Lebanese sweet1b.JPG (55.46 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Post by zavk »

Fede wrote: So as a kid, my mum used to mix a whole egg with breadcrumbs, a little salt and lemon juice, and serve it to me as a raw "patty".
I still love it now, although occasionally, I'll shallow-fry it for about 4 minutes either side, and eat it with a rocket salad, and a piece of fresh buffalo mozzarella....
Hi Fede,

This actually sounds quite yummy. I wouldn't eat it raw though. I think I'll try it. How much breadcrumbs do you use?

OK, enough talk of food. Back to work....

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
Mexicali

Post by Mexicali »

Chilaquiles

Navajo Tacos

Nopales con papas y chiles

"We do not embrace reason at the expense of emotion. We embrace it at the expense of self-deception."
-- Herbert Muschamp
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Mmmmmm.... real Mexican food.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

OMG! The Nopales con papas y chiles looks so good? What's in it?

You know, when you introduced yourself, I immediately thought of this restaurant not too far from my place. It's called Mexicali Rose. Not authentic Mexican but I can't complain. Still trying to find authentic Mexican food here in Melbourne.

Best,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings zavk,

Let me know if you find it - I've been looking too.

Generally I've found the best bet is to make my own, but that assumes you're able to get all the ingredients which is a tricky enough pursuit in itself. There used to be a few places around, like a chili warehouse in Airport West, and the owners of Mexicali Rose had a Mexican Food Store on Bridge Road. It was a sad day when that place shut down.

With most cuisines, the availability of local ingredients has improved over the last 5-10 years. As far as I can tell, Mexican ingredients are the one thing that's actually gone backwards in terms of availability.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mexicali

Post by Mexicali »

Not sure what was in that particular batch, I just cribbed that pic online. When I make nopales I usually go to the local carniceria and pick up some prickly pear ears, chop up and fry up with some chilis, and epazote. I boil potatoes separately, toss them together with the nopales and maybe some chopped ham, lime juice, and vinegar. I live pretty close to the Mexican border, so good Mexican food is easy to come by.
"We do not embrace reason at the expense of emotion. We embrace it at the expense of self-deception."
-- Herbert Muschamp
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Fruit (bananas, strawberries, pears, mangoes, papayas, peaches, grapes, etc.) and Cheese.

This time of year we have strawberries in Portugal, we wash them with water, trim the leaves and cut them in two or three pieces, cover them with sugar, add some peppermint leaves, place them on the fridge during the night. by morning there will be a sweet juice where you dip can butter cookies, or simply drink it...

With Metta
Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

I am not sure I indulge in food but so far I am not that keen on everything I cook for myself even when others like them as I just eat when I like but never get to the point of taste satisfaction or the way I like them.

At the moment I am learning to make good espresso coffee i.e. latte, cappuccino, americano and etc, for my future coffee bar business but I like to drink coffee but not fanatical about them. Just that I have to drink a lot at the moment while practicing to perfect my skill. 8 cups per day anyone?

I am going a bit :cookoo: with coffee at the moment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~