Quote about beings being like sticky lumps of dough

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
KathyC

Quote about beings being like sticky lumps of dough

Post by KathyC »

I'm wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I am looking for a quote. I think it was from the Buddha. The general topic was that all beings, unless awakened, were mad. It made some reference to beings being like sticky lumps of dough. Does anyone have any idea where this was from? Or is it my frazzled memory!

Thank you

Kathy
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Quote about beings being like sticky lumps of dough

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

KathyC wrote:I'm wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I am looking for a quote. I think it was from the Buddha. The general topic was that all beings, unless awakened, were mad. It made some reference to beings being like sticky lumps of dough. Does anyone have any idea where this was from? Or is it my frazzled memory!
It is not your frazzled memory, just a half-baked idea. I don't know about the two lumps of dough, but the idea that all worldlings (puthujjanā) are mad, in the sense of having no control over their minds, is a common statement. It comes from the Commentary though, so may not be the direct words of the Buddha.

Psychotherapy in Buddhism
The commentary of Majjhima Nikaya ‘Papancasudani’ says that – “All worldly beings are deranged”, “Sabbe puthujjana ummataka”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
KathyC

Post by KathyC »

Thank you. That rings a bell. I have no idea where the dough came into it. Thanks again, Kathy
KathyC

Post by KathyC »

I have just been told that the 'sticky ball of dough' idea is related to a literal translation of puthujjana. Maybe not as half-baked as I thought.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
KathyC wrote:Maybe not as half-baked as I thought.
In that case, not baked at all!

:rofl:

Bhikkhu Pesala's puns are cool. 8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

KathyC wrote:I have just been told that the 'sticky ball of dough' idea is related to a literal translation of puthujjana. Maybe not as half-baked as I thought.
I don't know of any such etymology. Puthujjana just means "the common man." See also the entry for puthu.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)