Disable Edit Post Facility Please!

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
forestmat

Disable Edit Post Facility Please!

Post by forestmat »

Greetings,

My suggestion is that the "Edit Post" facility be disabled. I see that I can still go back into my posts and edit, some 3 or 4 days later.

This could cause a problem in the future if someone edits their post, making any subsequent replies (based on the original post) appear strange.

Would it be possible to arrange for the "Edit" facility to exist for lets say an hour after the original post, because we all make mistakes and I have often

had to go back into a post and edit upon reading what I have just posted.

Look forward to your comments,

Metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
retrofuturist

Re: Disable Edit Post Facility Please!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Forestmat,

It hasn't been a problem thus far, but we'll keep an eye on it.

As for why it's like it is....

The Terms Of Service (http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) actively encourage people to self-moderate and sometimes what seemed like an appropriate or decent comment at the time, might seem tasteless, tactless, irrelevant or distracting when viewed later with fresh eyes. We like to put trust in our members that they will do the right thing and take various factors into account when editing or deleting their posts, such as the issue of continuity which you raise here. To empower people to self-moderate as they think is best, and take responsibility for their speech, they need to be able to edit their posts.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Greetings Retro,

Completely understand what you are saying.

Just as a follow up query then...

If the OP changed or edited their post, would the thread be discontinued or deleted, because otherwise the subsequent replies might appear irrelevant?

Love this forum by the way, feels like I am part of the family.

Metta

forestmat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Forestmat,
forestmat wrote:If the OP changed or edited their post, would the thread be discontinued or deleted, because otherwise the subsequent replies might appear irrelevant?
Again, it hasn't really happened. What's been more common is the OP requesting that a thread be closed because they've retrospectively decided it was an unprofitable question with unprofitable results. In such cases, we're happy to oblige and close the thread.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Thanks for the clarification Retro.

Metta

forestmat
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Most of the time someone else quotes the post so even if it is changed, it appears in someone else's post further on in the thread

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Fede

Post by Fede »

Yes.... short of a Moderator going all the way through the thread deleting the quoted post, I would suggest the person implementing edits to their post mentions it as an edit note, and if it goes far ahead, to alert people further down the thread to that effect.

Just a suggestion.... :)

:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;