Eat onion?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
DarwidHalim

Eat onion?

Post by DarwidHalim »

Dear Members,

Are there any rules about eating onions for monks in Theravada tradition?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
tiltbillings

Re: Eat onion?

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Would that then prohibit the use of any onion (or onion powder) whatsoever in curries etc?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Would that then prohibit the use of any onion (or onion powder) whatsoever in curries etc?

Metta,
Of course, it has nothing to do with the laity, but for monastics, it would seem so.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Thanks for the link.

After reading that, I think we can imply that eating onions are not encouraged.

This can be understood from Buddha answered to Sariputta, I allow .....

The second reason is yogic do not eat onion because onions affect the stability of their mind. Since Siddharta Gautama was also a yogic, he should share same rules.

I have a friend who is from Brahmin caste from India. All of their family dont eat onions. When they cook curry, it doesn't have oniOns.

If I can conclude eating onions probably can be considered as a soft rule. If you can, then avoid it, but not a must.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DarwidHalim wrote: The second reason is yogic do not eat onion because onions affect the stability of their mind. Since Siddharta Gautama was also a yogic, he should share same rules.
There is no justification for making that leap.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Of course, it has nothing to do with the laity, but for monastics, it would seem so.
The reason I ask is because I imagine that curries are quite popular offerings in traditional Theravada countries, and being a common (and often 'hidden') ingredient in curries, it's hard to see in practical terms how a bhikkhu would easily and simply be able to know if the offering was permissible. Would he have to ask? etc.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Of course, it has nothing to do with the laity, but for monastics, it would seem so.
The reason I ask is because I imagine that curries are quite popular offerings in traditional Theravada countries, and being a common (and often 'hidden') ingredient in curries, it's hard to see in practical terms how a bhikkhu would easily and simply be able to know if the offering was permissible. Would he have to ask? etc.

Metta,
All I can say to this is: damdifino, but there are a number of bhikkhus who do post here. They might be able to say something about this.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Isn't that a Mahayana text?

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Isn't that a Mahayana text?

Mike
The text I linked?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VINAYA TEXTS
TRANSLATED FROM THE PÂLI BY
T.W. RHYS DAVIDS AND HERMANN OLDENBERG
Part III
THE KULLAVAGGA, IV-XII.
Sacred Books of the East, Vol. 20
[1885]

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, OK, interesting. I know that the Mahayana texts have all kinds of stuff about garlic and onions...

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Chapter 7 of the Mhayana Nirvana Sutra (translated by Kosho Yamamoto and edited by Dr. Tony Page) states:

"One who eats meat kills the seed of great compassion... O Kasyapa! I, from now on, tell my disciples to refrain from eating any kind of meat. O Kasyapa! When one eats meat, this gives out the smell of meat while one is walking, standing, sitting or reclining. People smell this and become fearful. This is as when one comes near a lion. One sees and smells the lion, and fear arises. O good man! When one eats garlic, the dirty smell is unbearable. Other people notice it. They smell the bad smell. They leave that person and go away. Even from far off, people hate to see such a person. They will not come near him. It is the same with one who eats meat. It is a similar situation with all people who, on smelling the meat, become afraid and entertain the thought of death. All living things in the water, on land and in the sky desert such a person and run away. They say that this person is their enemy. Hence the Bodhisattva does not eat meat."

And then there is this:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Hee, hee. I think the great Rhys Davids forgot to consult his own PED when he translated "lasuṇa" in that rule to read as "onion". The PED lists it as "garlic".
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sylvester wrote:Hee, hee. I think the great Rhys Davids forgot to consult his own PED when he translated "lasuṇa" in that rule to read as "onion". The PED lists it as "garlic".
If there is a mistake, blame Oldenberg.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Sylvester wrote:Hee, hee. I think the great Rhys Davids forgot to consult his own PED when he translated "lasuṇa" in that rule to read as "onion". The PED lists it as "garlic".
I wonder Sylvester whether back then onions and garlic were so similar that they were classed together?
Just a thought...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..