Anyone can go to hell, so be heedful

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Anyone can go to hell, so be heedful

Post by Ceisiwr »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Craig,
clw_uk wrote:In the Buddhas noble teachings, there is no rebirth after death nor any need or place for it
Ultimately true, conventionally false.

Be careful not to take the non-time-delineated model of dependent origination as a refutation of conventional rebirth.

To do so, you'd be extending the scope of the teaching beyond its domain... just as you're accusing others of doing.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Your right, the speculative view "there is no rebirth" is just the same as "there is rebirth"

I meant that neither view is in the Buddhas noble teachings since his noble teachings transcends all speculative views through the understanding of what is

paticcasamuppāda shows how dukkha comes to be (and so all speculative views included), its not a cosmological model for how or why a rebirth after death happens IMO

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

If people say that one must have rebirth view in order to start and practice the NEFP then they must conclude that the Buddha himself had wrong view throughout his search since he didnt start with the view "I will be reborn and suffer" since he had no knowledge of this until his nibbana (if you take it to mean he seen past lives)
This is a nonsensical statement. You are equating "having a view" with "having first hand knowledge". The view "rebirth happens" is quite common and has been so throughout history. First hand knowledge, however, is and always has been quite rare.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Craig: Recollection of past abodes, but even if it was past lives this just proves a point i made earlier, that if the Buddha did see past "lives", it was during his actual enlightenment. His entire motivation and view before that was an acknowledgement of what is "There is Dukkha". It wasnt "I will be reborn and so exp. Dukkha".

If people say that one must have rebirth view in order to start and practice the NEFP then they must conclude that the Buddha himself had wrong view throughout his search since he didnt start with the view "I will be reborn and suffer" since he had no knowledge of this until his nibbana (if you take it to mean he seen past lives)
There are any number of things wrong with what you have said here, but I focus on just this:

"So I [the Buddha], monks being liable to birth because of self, having known the perils in what is liable to birth, seeking freedom from birth, the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana -- won freedom from birth [ajata], the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana...."

"Then the group of five monks, being thus exhorted, this instructed by me
[the Buddha], being liable to birth because of self, having known the perils in what is liable to birth, seeking freedom from birth, the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana [nirvana] -- won freedom from birth [ajata], the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana...." Majjhima Nikaya I 167 and 173.

This certainly indicates that the Buddha had direct knowledge of the fact that he could be reborn - liable to birth. Having attained to high jhana levels before his awakening, there is no reason not to think that he did not have direct knowledge of rebirth.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

This is a nonsensical statement. You are equating "having a view" with "having first hand knowledge". The view "rebirth happens" is quite common and has been so throughout history. First hand knowledge, however, is and always has been quite rare

The Buddha didnt leave with the view "I will be reborn and suffer" he started with the view "There is suffering". His view was of what is, not what might be

He even states that it is good for monks who have gone forth that they have the view "I am a victim of ....." not "I will be reborn and be a victim of ...."

Metta
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings Tilt

So I [the Buddha], monks being liable to birth because of self, having known the perils in what is liable to birth, seeking freedom from birth, the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana -- won freedom from birth [ajata], the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana...."
Liable to birth because of self, as in when there is self there is oppurtunity for more ignorance to lead on to more birth of "I am" and more dukkha etc

The Buddha understood how he was liable to birth (of another "I am") because of self since a sense of "self" is based on that which ages and dies (through ignorance) and so that "I" will age and die which leads onto dukkha and ignorance which will lead to another "I am" due to clinging and so, because of Anicca, another death of "I am" and so more dukkha and more ignorance which will lead on again to clinging and another sense of "I am" which will "die" and so lead onto dukkha and more ignorance and so on if wisdom is not there, but with wisdom one sees the escape of this pointless merry go around

(which includes the merry go around of speculative views that come from "I am" such as rebirth, no rebirth, will i be, wont i be, annihilationism, eternalism, atheism, nihilism, theism, monotheism, polytheism, and some weird exsistence and non exsistence as well of all the other views of "am i now, was i then, will i be there, who am i, where do i come from etc)

What is the perils in what is liable to birth? When there is birth of "I am" there is clinging to that which is marked by Anicca, when there is change in that which is clung to there will be dukkha

"Then the group of five monks, being thus exhorted, this instructed by me [the Buddha], being liable to birth because of self, having known the perils in what is liable to birth, seeking freedom from birth, the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana [nirvana] -- won freedom from birth [ajata], the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana...." Majjhima Nikaya I 167 and 173.
Once again if you take birth as meaning rebirth then you make it out that the Buddha had a speculative view, his own teachings were ending all dukkha here and now, which includes putting an end to all speculative views about past and future (which rebirth view is)

The Buddha and his wisdom are beyond all speculative views as he has understood the khandas fully and so doesnt cling to them as self
"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Then the group of five monks, being thus exhorted, this instructed by me [the Buddha], being liable to birth because of self, having known the perils in what is liable to birth, seeking freedom from birth, the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana [nirvana] -- won freedom from birth [ajata], the uttermost security from the bonds -- nibbana...." Majjhima Nikaya I 167 and 173.
Only if you put rebirth in

1st Noble Truth
This is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.

The last bit is important for understanding, it states that all that was mentioned before can be summed up in brief via "aggregates being subject to clinging". So therefor when there is clinging to the aggregates there is birth, as in birth of "I am" not physical birth of khandas which are Void of a self

(btw there is clinging to the aggregates all the time rising and falling throughout life so jati here means birth of "I am" not physical birth since this, as we know, only happens once in life)

As I said because of clinging to khandas there is "I am". When there is "I am" there is identiciation with the Khandas, when there is identification there is ageing, sickness and death (and also the whole not wanting to get sick, grief, anger etc that go hand in hand with that)

So even the first noble truth doesnt include rebirth specualtive view

Metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Peter wrote:
This is a nonsensical statement. You are equating "having a view" with "having first hand knowledge". The view "rebirth happens" is quite common and has been so throughout history. First hand knowledge, however, is and always has been quite rare.
The view that illness was caused by spirits, witches, ghosts, Satan, etc... has also been common throughout history, with no first hand knowledge. In fact, there is quite a long list of "views" that were quite common throughout history with no first hand knowledge - that caused an awful lot of suffering and confusion. "First hand view" is an essential part of rationality. Views with no first hand knowledge are fertile ground for irrationality. Best not to go there.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Views with no first hand knowledge are fertile ground for irrationality. Best not to go there.
And of course the Buddha was not irrational, since his wisdom was based on what is not what may or not be
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Agreed. It seems to me that the speculative elements - "what may or may not be" - was added later.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Gettings us slightly back on topic, and away from the theme of rebirth itself for now, here's an interesting extract from "Gods and the Universe in Buddhist Perspective: Essays on Buddhist Cosmology" by Francis Story, (BPS Wheel 180/181).
page 16 wrote:The world of human being and animals is physically the same word, and forms part of the Sense-desire Sphere. Below it, but still in the same category, are the realms of beings in states of deeper misery, while above it are the realms of the Sense-Desire Devas. The boundaries between the human world and those immediately above and below it are not always sharp, and there is the possibility of communication between them. In the case of human beings and animals, although the worlds they inhabit are distinct worlds, there is no physical difference between them; the boundary is purely psychological. This fact gives us the key to the truth that the reality of all the separate spheres of being lies in the realm of consciounsess rather than in that of objectivity.
I'm inclined to agree with Francis Story when he writes...
page 9 wrote:"The perfection if insight-wisdom is to abolish the artificial constructions of subject and objective which are both equally void of reality. This being so, it is not important what view we choose to take, and one is as valid as another"
Putting a moderator hat on for a moment...

Can we please ensure that we get back on topic and that matters of whether rebirth is true or otherwise are dealt with in an appropriate topic, such as the Great Rebirth Debate.

Thank you.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I like your moderator hat, Paul; it's cool and sporty.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

retrofuturist wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Francis Story when he writes...
page 9 wrote:"The perfection if insight-wisdom is to abolish the artificial constructions of subject and objective which are both equally void of reality. This being so, it is not important what view we choose to take, and one is as valid as another"
This is sounding very Atiyoga-ish - the unification of path and goal that leads one to Buddhahood in this life, in Dzogchen.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

It is not possible, Retro. Rebirth deniers cannot simply ignore a thread about rebirth. They are compelled to argue about it. They cannot abide the idea that Buddhists teach something they dislike so much.

Strange... I do not like teachings on Buddha-nature, yet I do not scour internet forums looking for Buddha-nature threads to start debates in. I simply do not read those threads and instead read other threads. You would think someone who does not like teachings on rebirth would see a thread about being reborn into hell and decide that is not a thread for them. :shrug: "Compelled" is the only word that comes to mind.
Last edited by kc2dpt on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Craig: Once again if you take birth as meaning rebirth then you make it out that the Buddha had a speculative view, his own teachings were ending all dukkha here and now, which includes putting an end to all speculative views about past and future (which rebirth view is)
If the Buddha was talking metaphorically, as you would have us believe, there would be no reason for it. He could have easily stated what he knew in direct language. There is no reason to assume the Buddha was talking in a speculative or metaphorical manner in the text I quoted, which only results in a complicated, convoluted attempt at trying to make the rebirth language into metaphor as you have and other here have shown us. Basically, you are continuing to try to cram the Buddha into the small box of views that you think are indicative of what the Buddha taught, twisting it this way and that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Peter wrote:It is not possible, Retro. Rebirth deniers cannot simply ignore a thread about rebirth. They are compelled to argue about it. They cannot abide the idea that Buddhists teach something they dislike so much.
Peter, I've never seen you avoided a rebirth thread. :rofl: And no one in this thread is denying rebirth...as you well know.

Some very highly esteemed and realized teachers don't always parrot the idea of "post-mortem rebirth"...what are we to make of them? There are some teachers in a couple of traditions (including Theravada) that have been quite upfront with some students that some teachings are stated in ways that simple people could easily incorporate into their limited world view and unsophisticated psychology. Are we to assume that we know more than these teachers? Do we dismiss their ability to teach to many different types of people, as needed? Do we doubt their skillful means in order to preserve our own views? Is our view/path the _only_ effective one, and the only one worth clinging to in order to preserve tradition (or our personal comfort level)? That's how religious wars get started. We've been around the block a couple of times on this one...but I say it again here because your post is so concretely dismissive of any view but one...the one you feel most comfortable in.

note to mods: this isn't a question about "rebirth" - it is a question about Peter's reference to "Buddhists that teach something they dislike so much", and my observations over the years of teachers that don't teach an orthodox view (of a variety of subjects) in all situations, or to every type of student.
Last edited by pink_trike on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

tiltbillings wrote:
Basically, you are continuing to try to cram the Buddha into the small box of views that you think are indicative of what the Buddha taught, twisting it this way and that.
This is where dialogue breaks down and gets pointless - because obviously defenders of post-mortem rebirth are, of course, doing the exact same thing. It's in the Bib..er, Canon, I believe it, end of story. The Canon isn't interpretable for them, except literally - it is law. It is no longer a dynamic set of teachings - it is now static, for some people.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---