What are your food indulgences?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
floating_abu

Re: What are your food indulgences?

Post by floating_abu »

All food is good, weekends are better :thumbsup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

My undoing is chocolate, either dark or white.

I love cooking and dinners at home are usually asian, asian inspired or italian. I've got my mother-in-law as a jet-setting spice runner by bringing hard to find spices from the mainland to tasmania for me. Tasmanian customs regulations are the toughest in Australia,
I've now got a plasic tub filled with amchur, ajowan, star anise and szechuan pepper, and about a hundred others besides.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Cookies/biscuits are my weakness. It's hard to be mindful when they're around, especially ones with chocolate in them. Oh and a good cup of coffee, too.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Chris wrote:What are you doing? :o
LOL...I caught that too...along with all the American flags at Misty's...carry on, I'd chime in too on this thread but my food indulgences are history (hopefully)... :pig:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

After a period of indulgence in late teens I developed an allergy to dairy and a bunch of other things (some 13 years ago or so) and had to give up my favourite foods - cakes, junk food, all manner of creamy stuffs and all kinds of artificial chemical mutant products... :cry:

So I haven't had a coke or a BigMac since.

To be honest I no longer feel deprived.

But... a weakness for fish runs in the family (can't win against your genes you know...(not)) so even as we have basically given up meat, late at night once everyone's asleep and it's quiet (the only time it is), I started having a little snack as I attend to important matters such setting wayward Theravadins straight. :coffee:

Thankfully before the pounds really started showing a compassionate virus has cured me of this unfortunate habit and I am happy to report that I have not snacked for 4 days now. :twothumbsup:

<<wait a sec I've got to go and get something from the fridge.... :pig: >>

_/|\_
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

My biggest indulgence at the moment is pastries. I can't get enough doughnuts, éclairs, honey buns, cookies, cake, etc. Of course the best ones are the ones with chocolate icing. All I know is my indulgence has made me gain too much weight. Looks like I'll have to give them up. :cry:
Fede

Post by Fede »

You might be pregnant.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Porridge for me, plain and thick maybe with some dry toast.
When I went to Edinburgh a couple of years ago I had to teach my friend Scott how to make porridge!

Metta,
Retro. :)
there are a few different ways, it all depends on where you go. I have a recipe which is made of oats and similar takes more than a week to make (9 days) from the Isle of my birth
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

Fede wrote:You might be pregnant.....
I am. I just had an ultra scan. My baby looks like a cross between a doughnut, and éclair. I'm going to name him Hank, and go on Oprah to educate people about the dangers of having unprotected sex with a pastry. :tongue:
Tex

Post by Tex »

I eat a pretty healthy diet with one exception: Pizza. Once a week. Every week.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Fede

Post by Fede »

davcuts wrote:
Fede wrote:You might be pregnant.....
I am. I just had an ultra scan. My baby looks like a cross between a doughnut, and éclair. I'm going to name him Hank, and go on Oprah to educate people about the dangers of having unprotected sex with a pastry. :tongue:
You have a bun in the oven!!!! :jumping: :jumping:

Dhammawheel's very first doughclair!
Be careful.....
Oprah will eat him.
She's been fighting her weight for ages....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:there are a few different ways, it all depends on where you go. I have a recipe which is made of oats and similar takes more than a week to make (9 days) from the Isle of my birth
With that preparation time, it's bound to be good.

Mine is a blend of water, salt, quick oats, milk, sultanas, honey and cinnamon... and takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare. My son is a big fan of it. It was actually going an a Goenka retreat that inspired me to start making it.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:there are a few different ways, it all depends on where you go. I have a recipe which is made of oats and similar takes more than a week to make (9 days) from the Isle of my birth
With that preparation time, it's bound to be good.

Mine is a blend of water, salt, quick oats, milk, sultanas, honey and cinnamon... and takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare. My son is a big fan of it. It was actually going an a Goenka retreat that inspired me to start making it.

Metta,
that's complex! sounds similar to Muesli to me.
try soaking the oats for a minimum of an hour or so until soft (some do over night) in 50/50 water & Milk (enough to cover) and a pinch of salt & Sugar then top up with milk to your preferred consistency and warm up.

thats the longer version, but mainly better for the micro, than the hob but can be done on both. traditionally it is 50/50 milk an water, with a pinch of salt heated up

the 9 day one I mentioned is fermented so not very compatible with the Precepts.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
zavk

Post by zavk »

Chris wrote: Every Aussie knows that Dick Smith Crunchy Peanut Paste is the go! :tongue:
Hi Chris,

I didn't grow up in Australia so Kraft is what I'm used to eating. But I will give Dick Smith's a go, after I finish this jar (which will be quite soon).

I do like vegemite. One of my favourite snacks is vegemite and butter on good bread (preferably sourdough) and topped with melted cheddar cheese. Something like this:
Attachments
PICT1682.JPG
PICT1682.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Post by zavk »

Ben wrote:My undoing is chocolate, either dark or white.

I love cooking and dinners at home are usually asian, asian inspired or italian. I've got my mother-in-law as a jet-setting spice runner by bringing hard to find spices from the mainland to tasmania for me. Tasmanian customs regulations are the toughest in Australia,
I've now got a plasic tub filled with amchur, ajowan, star anise and szechuan pepper, and about a hundred others besides.
Kind regards

Ben
Yeah, I like cooking too. Picked it up from my partner. But I do most of the cooking these days as I work on my own and time and often from home. We have many spices at home as my partner likes to make curry from scratch.

Some pics of magnetic spice jars on my fridge and erm... grimy ones next to my stove:
Attachments
PICT1684.JPG
PICT1684.JPG (49.19 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
PICT1683.JPG
PICT1683.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
With metta,
zavk