The world will end (again) on Friday night

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

The world will end (again) on Friday night

Post by Ben »

This shocking prediction comes from US Christian broadcaster Harold Camping, the same man who said the world would end on May 21 - and also on September 6, 1994.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/5 ... iday-night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there anything of benefit we can take from this?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jhana4

Re: The world will end (again) on Friday night

Post by Jhana4 »

No need to plan on doing laundry?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Live every day like it was your last....
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

From the same site:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games ... m-Sim-City

Provisional conclusion: USA's public life has more reasons for :rolleye: than ours.

:thinking:
Kim

Edit: fixed typos :embarassed:
Last edited by Kim OHara on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

One of these times he has GOT to be right. Its like rolling dice, your gonna get a 7 at some point...Right?
chownah

Post by chownah »

Nicro wrote:One of these times he has GOT to be right. Its like rolling dice, your gonna get a 7 at some point...Right?
I think that man is one die short of a pair so I don't think he'll ever get to seven.
chownah
palchi

Post by palchi »

Don't underestimate the value (if not the probability) of predictions - Harold Camping et al just won the 2011 igNobel price of mathematics:

MATHEMATICS PRIZE: Dorothy Martin of the USA (who predicted the world would end in 1954), Pat Robertson of the USA (who predicted the world would end in 1982), Elizabeth Clare Prophet of the USA (who predicted the world would end in 1990), Lee Jang Rim of KOREA (who predicted the world would end in 1992), Credonia Mwerinde of UGANDA (who predicted the world would end in 1999), and Harold Camping of the USA (who predicted the world would end on September 6, 1994 and later predicted that the world will end on October 21, 2011), for teaching the world to be careful when making mathematical assumptions and calculations.

http://improbable.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:tongue:
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

If this also would be the end of my Samsara, I would really appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Many greetings from

Claudia
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

You have your own samsara ?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Wooohoo! The end of the world...

SN 12.44: Loka Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dwelling at Savatthi. There the Blessed One addressed the monks: "I will teach you the origination of the world & the ending of the world. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded to the Blessed One.

The Blessed One said: "And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

"Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises ear-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises nose-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises tongue-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises body-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the intellect & mental qualities there arises intellect-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

"And what is the ending of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. Now, from the remainderless cessation & fading away of that very craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering. This is the ending of the world.

"Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises ear-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises nose-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises tongue-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises body-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact... Dependent on the intellect & mental qualities there arises intellect-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. Now, from the remainderless cessation & fading away of that very craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering. This is the ending of the world."
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

But Friday night is SO inconvenient! I was thinking of going to the Southbank Craft and Produce markets here.

Can we negotiate a Saturday or Sunday end? Or maybe the Northern Hemisphere can end on Friday night and we can be scheduled for Saurday?

Open to discussion ....
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Guy

Post by Guy »

I will be going to the temple on Friday night, so, hopefully that will help me get a good rebirth somehow.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Tex

Post by Tex »

Dammit, I just paid five bills today! Could've used that money on amusement park rides or something.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I don't know whether to spend my last day at the bordello or the temple. Guess I'll flip a coin.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
David2

Post by David2 »

I wonder when people will finally get bored with predicting the end of the world? :shrug:
Is it really that much fun to predict the end?