Suggestion: Add Google Site Search To DW

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Jhana4

Suggestion: Add Google Site Search To DW

Post by Jhana4 »

Someone mentioned once before that the default search engine that comes with this site is poor. On the other hand the Google Site Search is extremely powerful. I've had no trouble finding things posted months ago. It looks like the Google Site Search is set up to be added directly to web site. Adding it to DW could be useful:

http://www.google.com/sitesearch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: Add Google Site Search To DW

Post by DNS »

Google Saffron does this. See the box at the bottom of the home (index) page. It also searches through many other Theravada sites.
David2

Post by David2 »

There's also an addon for the browser: "Search the current site"
This way you don't have to type every single time you search for something "site:www.dhammawheel.com".

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fombdekjcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... te-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably also available for other browsers.

Edit: I am just using the chrome-addon, don't know if the Firefox-edition is good - maybe there is a better one for Firefox.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

:goodpost:
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Very cool - I just installed the Google Chrome one and it's chipper!

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I have a small thing to add:

You can type in every search query for google the following after your keywords: site:<the site>
This way you can search any site with google. This works for top level domains too. Some examples:
dhamma site:.org to search for the word "dhamma" on pages that have the .org top level domain.
dhamma site:dhammawheel.com to search for the word "dhamma" on this site. :geek:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.