thoughts on jesus

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
delf7

thoughts on jesus

Post by delf7 »

as a newcomer to buddha's teachings and "former" christian (still sorting out things here), just curious as to what the general take on jesus is among buddhists. i'm not looking for "christian bashing" as i know buddhism is very tolerant of other religions, plus, i heard plenty of that when i was (i think) a christian.
thanx for the info.
Fede

Re: thoughts on jesus

Post by Fede »

An awful lot of Buddhists are ex-Christians, so there'll be a heady mix of responses.

I would classify myself as a 'nontheist': I really don't think it matters one way or another. Jesus (if he existed) is to some, a Boddhisattva.
I am sceptic whether the man, as we have come to know of him, actually existed at all.
I also don't think it is of sufficient relevance to me to ponder the question one way or the other.
But for those who do, then I wish them well.
Whatever floats their boat.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plwk

Post by plwk »

This should give you an idea....proceed with 'caution'...
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

There is no official spokesperson for Buddhist, so everything people say is just personal opinion.

I think Jesus probably was a real person. Seems like a good guy, he tried to teach morality.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Jesus, imo, was probably a practicioner of samadhi. I heard once on tv that there was, in India, a record of someone named Isa (Jesus in aramaic). This someone was a great master. Considering the time he lived in, and the cultural background, it makes sense that his teachings are the way they are.

So, basicaly, he was a good man with mastery over samadhi.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

To the extent that a religion proposes sound ethical principles and can promote to some degree the development of wholesome qualities such as love, generosity, detachment and compassion, it will merit in this respect the approbation of Buddhists. ...
Tolerance and Diversity by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali:
Mike
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I don't care one way or another.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

To me, Jesus seemed to be a great teacher - especially in loving kindness.
Many greetings from

Claudia
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings delf7,

Other people's "take" on Jesus isn't important. What is important is engaging in sila (moral/ethical conduct), developing samadhi (concentration/self mastery) and the development of panna (wisdom/insight). If Jesus is an inspirational figure for you - well and good.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
chownah

Post by chownah »

To borrow a line from Arthur Reid Reynolds, "Jesus is just alright with me."

Also, My first thought about Jesus is that he, just like the Buddha, is dead.

chownah
bodom

Post by bodom »

mikenz66 wrote:
To the extent that a religion proposes sound ethical principles and can promote to some degree the development of wholesome qualities such as love, generosity, detachment and compassion, it will merit in this respect the approbation of Buddhists. ...
Tolerance and Diversity by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali:
Mike
Questions and Answers with Ajahn Chah

Q: Then is Buddhism much different from other religions?

A: It is the business of genuine religions, including Buddhism, to bring people to the happiness that comes from clearly and honestly seeing how things are. Whenever any religion or system or practice accomplishes this, you can call that Buddhism, if you like.

In the Christian religion, for example, one of the most important holidays is Christmas. A group of the Western monks decided last year to make a special day of Christmas, with a ceremony of gift-giving and merit-making. Various other disciples of mine questioned this, saying, "If they're ordained as Buddhists, how can they celebrate Christmas? Isn't this a Christian holiday?"

In my Dharma talk, I explained how all people in the world are fundamentally the same. Calling them Europeans, Americans, or Thais just indicates where they were born or the color of their hair, but they all have basically the same kind of minds and bodies; all belong to the same family of people being born, growing old, and dying. When you understand this, differences become unimportant. Similarly, if Christmas is an occasion where people make a particular effort to do what is good and kind and helpful to others in some way, that's important and wonderful, no matter what system you use to describe it.

So I told the villagers, 'Today we'll call this Chrisbuddhamas. As long as people are practicing properly, they're practicing Christ-Buddhism, and things are

I teach this way to enable people to let go of their attachments to various concepts and to see what is happening in a straightforward and natural way. Anything that inspires us to see what is true and do what is good is proper practice. You may call it anything you like.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books2/Ajahn ... t_Pool.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

My personal thots on him are that he was a possibly historical early jewish teacher. I generally admire his teachings and wish his professed followers had more respect for them. I find the symbolic ritual cannabalism of organized christianity kind of creepy, otherwise i guess i dont think much about him.

This is fun tho

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't care one way or another.
+1

Though I saw this recently, and it brought a wry smile...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Stig

Post by Stig »

Book of Q
delf7

Post by delf7 »

thanx for the answers. i was just curious. i had been gradually falling away from christianity in the past several years because it just wasn't making any sence to me anymore. as i studied it more & more, the less & less comfortable i became with it. it just didn't seem "right". i finally fell away for good when i asked myself if i truely "believed" & i could not answer "yes, 100%" anymore.
i am still a little confused as to who (or IF) jesus actually was, and i doubt i'll ever know. well, maybe someday.