Too many sections - can't find the thread i want.

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Cilla

Too many sections - can't find the thread i want.

Post by Cilla »

Its difficult to find the location of a particular thread that i responded to this morning. I want to see what the new respondents have to say. There are too many sections (in my humble opinion) in the forum. Its an issue i have with almost every forum i've been on. There's only one forum i've been on that gets right. Everybody else seems to be addicted to categories and classification. A general index to all threads would be handy for a quick reference so i could find the one i was looking for without having to open up all the forums. I just can't find that thread. And of course i don't remember what it was called. I would know if i saw it. But ideally, for me, i'd like to see almost of of them combined. I mean its all buddhism. Perhaps i'd keep the study section and the ordination section but combine everything else. I know this is not going to happen. But its what i would like to happen. Just letting you know that's its difficult to find the thread you want when you can't remember where it is. It would be easy with fewer sections. I"d only have to search through one list. Another reason why i like fewer sections is because more people would answer more threads. The conversations would have more talkers and give more views and aspects and so on. The threads would be richer reading.
Jhana4

Re: Too many sections - can't find the thread i want.

Post by Jhana4 »

Cilla wrote:Its difficult to find the location of a particular thread that i responded to this morning.
Try the View your posts link in the yellow band under the top banner.

I agree with you that the board is over organized. When I create a new thread it is hard to decide where to put it.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I do not see any overlap in the sections, and I do not see any section which is duplicated through one or more other sections. Therefore, despite there being many different sections, it seems appropriate given the complexities of the subject matter.

$0.02
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Nobody said the sections overlap, just that there were too many sections ( and with too many guidelines ).
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
David2

Post by David2 »

Jhana4 wrote: I agree with you that the board is over organized. When I create a new thread it is hard to decide where to put it.
Yeah, I agree, too.
Of course, it is also not good if there are too few subforums, you have to find a middle way.
But there could be 3 or 4 subforums less imo.
On the other hand, it's subjective how many subforums are the best middleway.
I still like this forum very much and more than all the other forums I know.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Jhana4 wrote: Try the View your posts link in the yellow band under the top banner.
And the forum is small enough to read using: view active topics, which effectively gets rid of the categories.

:anjali:
Mike
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I like the forum just the way it is. Maybe for newcomers it's a bit difficult but they can get used to it.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Just so people know, we are cognizant of the issue of "forum sprawl" and only create new forums or sub-forums where we feel there's a legitimate type of Dhamma conversation that is difficult to otherwise have without some established parameters. To be clear, the purpose for having sub-forums isn't just to create more sections, it's to establish optimized parameters for the various kinds of Dhamma discussion that members have expressed an interest in discussing.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mikenz66 wrote:And the forum is small enough to read using: view active topics, which effectively gets rid of the categories.

:anjali:
Mike
:thumbsup:
That's what I do - my bookmark for DW takes me straight to that view.
I still find myself posting in some sections far more than others, just because some topics interest me more than others, but that's fine. The only problem that ever arises is that I can stray out of the sub-forum guidelines because I don't look at which one the topic was posted in.
I know ... I should be more mindful. :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kim O'Hara wrote:I know ... I should be more mindful. :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
You are the naughty one!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
David2

Post by David2 »

And the forum is small enough to read using: view active topics, which effectively gets rid of the categories.
There comes an other suggestion into my mind:
It would be nice if the "Active topics"-link was always at the top, even after visiting a thread. (I mean at the top next to the "View your posts"- link.)
plwk

Post by plwk »

Or like what I do...
Bookmark a thread and then make a second backup by updating the link on another document list according to topics...
That's what I did for E-Sangha & one other forum ....until they went Image
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think the suggestion has been noted.
Mike has offered a resolution so I think its time to close this topic.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..