Pali/Devanagari/Magadhi deadend?!!

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
blackspaven

Re: Pali/Devanagari/Magadhi deadend?!!

Post by blackspaven »

Ah, just noticed a pattern... does up to this bit mean 'right/correct'?

सम्मा

Had a look on that link ( I have firefox so it shows up fine), and I can see where you would have gotten it from,... or rather I would have if I could read it! Is there any way you could show me where on that folders bit on the side it shows you where the aspects are shown so I can see them a bit larger, as it appears to show things bigger on the right hand side of the page, but obviously I can't find it... cos I can't read it. :smile:
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

blackspaven wrote:Okay, so if i'm reading this correctly, the following is the pali/Davangari for the aspects of the eightfold path??

अरियो अट्ठङ्गिको मग्गो

सम्मादिट्ठि सम्मासङ्कप्पो सम्मावाचा सम्माकम्मन्तो सम्माआजीवो सम्मावायामो सम्मासति सम्मासमाधि

I'm presuming that the first line is the actual words 'Noble Eightfold Path' the second being the aspects themselves, and are the spacing's correct or does it not make a difference?? (anyone know how to make it any bigger to make it a bit clearer to transcribe??)
Yes, exactly. अरियो अट्ठङ्गिको मग्गो is "noble eightfold path".
Read from left to right. There are spaces between the words. सम्मादिट्ठि (right view) is the first one, and सम्मासमाधि (right concentration) is the eighth.

Bigger:
अरियो अट्ठङ्गिको मग्गो
सम्मादिट्ठि सम्मासङ्कप्पो सम्मावाचा सम्माकम्मन्तो सम्माआजीवो सम्मावायामो सम्मासति सम्मासमाधि
Last edited by SamKR on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

blackspaven wrote:Ah, just noticed a pattern... does up to this bit mean 'right/correct'?

सम्मा
Yes.
सम्मा = sammā ≈ right
blackspaven wrote: Had a look on that link ( I have firefox so it shows up fine), and I can see where you would have gotten it from,... or rather I would have if I could read it! Is there any way you could show me where on that folders bit on the side it shows you where the aspects are shown so I can see them a bit larger, as it appears to show things bigger on the right hand side of the page, but obviously I can't find it... cos I can't read it. :smile:
Click this link: http://tipitaka.org/deva/cscd/s0304m.mul3.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You will see it in the second paragraph of the first sutta there.
You can make texts bigger in firefox by pressing ctrl and +.
blackspaven

Post by blackspaven »

Sam?? Thank you SOOOO much for all your help on here!!! :clap:

I now have exactly what i'm after, so I can go ahead with what I wanted to do. It's nice to get a little cheer up in the middle of the day, so thanks for all your input and effort again, it's massively appreciated and couldn't have done it without your help. Give yourself a pat on the back and a chocolate frog. :bow:

One last question, but I think I already know the answer to this one: with that particular type of script, I read about the line on the top running through it all, but does it have to join up if you're writing in a sentence, such as the list of the eightfold path? I'm guessing not, as the website link appears to be broken up into individual words/aspects, but just thought i'd double check.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

blackspaven wrote:Sam?? Thank you SOOOO much for all your help on here!!! :clap:

I now have exactly what i'm after, so I can go ahead with what I wanted to do. It's nice to get a little cheer up in the middle of the day, so thanks for all your input and effort again, it's massively appreciated and couldn't have done it without your help. Give yourself a pat on the back and a chocolate frog. :bow: .
Glad to know it was helpful.
blackspaven wrote: One last question, but I think I already know the answer to this one: with that particular type of script, I read about the line on the top running through it all, but does it have to join up if you're writing in a sentence, such as the list of the eightfold path? I'm guessing not, as the website link appears to be broken up into individual words/aspects, but just thought i'd double check.
The horizontal line on the top of each word runs through only that word, and it is not connected to such horizontal lines of other words. There must be a space between two words (like English), and so the horizontal line is broken between words.

At the end of each sentence there is a full stop (" । "), a small vertical line. The function of this punctuation mark is exactly similar to that of period (" . ").
So the first sutta in the page (directed by the links below) has the following full sentence:
[Devanagari:] अयमेव खो, आवुसो, अरियो अट्ठङ्गिको मग्गो एतस्स निब्बानस्स सच्छिकिरियाय, सेय्यथिदं – सम्मादिट्ठि सम्मासङ्कप्पो सम्मावाचा सम्माकम्मन्तो सम्माआजीवो सम्मावायामो सम्मासति सम्मासमाधि।
http://tipitaka.org/deva/cscd/s0304m.mul3.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Roman:] Ayameva kho, āvuso, ariyo aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo etassa nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, seyyathidaṃ – sammādiṭṭhi sammāsaṅkappo sammāvācā sammākammanto sammāājīvo sammāvāyāmo sammāsati sammāsamādhi.
http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0304m.mul3.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note the punctuation mark (" । ") at the end of सम्मासमाधि, the last word of that sentence.
blackspaven

Post by blackspaven »

Ah, thanks for pointing out the 'I'... that might have been embarassing if i'd have put a full stop on the end! :tongue:

Thanks again for all your help, I think I can go ahead with what I wanted to do now.

:namaste:
blackspaven

Post by blackspaven »

Out of interest, can I assume that there's now right or wrong way for these aspects to be followed in terms of the way they're written down? The way they've been listed so far in this thread is just the way they were written; there's nothing to say if they are to be reproduced in another form that they HAVE to be listed in that specific order? Kinda seems like it would go against the nature of the path itself, but I thought i'd ask.
piotr

Post by piotr »

Kare wrote:I find it strange that no one has suggested this simple answer to the Pali-Magadhi problem. And if I am wrong, at least I would like to see it refuted.
Thanks for your insightful remarks. I think that your solution is plausible.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...