Thinking about ordination in UK and Broken Buddha

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
lutysouie

Thinking about ordination in UK and Broken Buddha

Post by lutysouie »

Hello everybody,
First of all, I must confess that I am french, so sorry by advance for all my mistakes and then what a wonderful forum with a lot of informations!
So I am 25 years old and thinking about ordination since a couple of years, I just discover the "Broken Bouddha", this famous book about Theravadan tradition and in fact I just agree with most of the things the author says.
So I just would like to ask which monastery in UK seems for you the most "open minded" (not really what I want to express but hope you will understand...)here? Or the most adapted to the western way of life?
And then other question, I practice yoga since a long time, and practice it everyday, I was wondering if it's considered as a problem, if it is forbidden if you take the 8 precepts? Is it seen as dancing or as a distraction?
And finally why Forest Hermitage is never mentionned in the links from Amaravati or Cittaviveka web site?
Aren't they from the same lineage?
Thank you very much for the future answers.
With Metta.
Isa
Terasi

Re: Thinking about ordination in UK and Broken Buddha

Post by Terasi »

lutysouie wrote:Hello everybody,
And then other question, I practice yoga since a long time, and practice it everyday, I was wondering if it's considered as a problem, if it is forbidden if you take the 8 precepts? Is it seen as dancing or as a distraction?
Hi Isa,
This monk is a serious Yoga practitioner, and he's a very good monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeaFQxg- ... grec_index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I wouldn't advise taking too much notice of what anyone says in a book or on an internet forum.

The best place for you may not be the best for others. Ask permission from the guest monk to stay at any centre that seems attractive to you, and form your own opinions after checking it out for yourself. A week or two should be enough to see whether or not it suits you, and for them to check out whether you are likely to fit in.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:goodpost:

The first sentence could be usefully adopted as a forum header.

The subsequent advice is sound.

:anjali:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

PeterB wrote:The first sentence could be usefully adopted as a forum header.
But it was on an internet forum! :cry:

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I see no contradiction in an internet forum dedicated to a process which is essentially personal and experiential carrying a caveat emptor to that end.

No Buddhist internet forum can hope to do more than to direct people to the actual living sources. And that is what Bhikkhu Pesala did.

Curious that you did not address your post to him...I merely approved of his sentiment.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I wouldn't advise taking too much notice of what anyone says in a book or on an internet forum.
This, being stated on an internet forum, offers a paradox. I found this humorous. :shrug: Sorry for the OT.

:focus:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I do take your point....I think that there is a real inherent paradox in the concept of a Buddhist online forum. The nature of Buddha Dharma being as it is essentially personal and subtle.
Fortunately DW is a an excellent example of the paradox.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

lutysouie wrote: So I am 25 years old and thinking about ordination since a couple of years, I just discover the "Broken Bouddha", this famous book about Theravadan tradition and in fact I just agree with most of the things the author says.
So I just would like to ask which monastery in UK seems for you the most "open minded" (not really what I want to express but hope you will understand...)here? Or the most adapted to the western way of life?
Isa
I have to applaud the way you are approaching this major move in your life.

I read The Broken Buddha several months ago. I agree with the author The Venerable S. Dhammika that it is not the whole story about Asian Buddhism, but it is a part of the story that people should be aware of. Particularly, if like you, they think are thinking about ordaining. Equipped with the information of how things can be, they take can steps, like you are doing, to avoid ending up in a bad situation and instead end up in a situation more in line with what they are ordaining for in the first place.

Additionally people who really care about Buddhism can help Buddhism by being informed about issues that could erode Buddhism's value if left untalked about.

It is good to read that people are finding the book, reading it and thinking over the contents.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Asking for advice about ordination is a serious matter, and not something to ask a bunch of complete strangers about. If you were planning to get married would you seek advice on Facebook about the girl you were planning to marry? You might get some sound advice, or you might get some completely biased advice from a boyfriend she dumped or a girl she cheated on, or random advice from some misogynist.

Likewise, any comment on the Forest Hermitage or Amaravati, from someone from doesn't fully know the history of both organisations is liable to be biased. AFAICT, the Forest Hermitage has no links on its site to Amaravati either.

When you ordain, your preceptor is like your father, and you need to have a trusting relationship with him. The other monks and nuns of that community will become your brothers and sisters. So take some time to get to know what the community is like by living in it. You will have to do that anyway before ordaining in the Forest Sangha. The last I heard, you have to spend 2 years there training on eight precepts as a lay person before being considered for ordination.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
lutysouie

Post by lutysouie »

Thank you all for your answers, I know that all this is very personnal, I was just asking for opinions, no more, then of course I will try by myself the monasteries which seems the most suitable for me.
Really nice to see that there are monks reallly good yoga practionner.