Michele Bachmann Seeks To Ban Masturbation and Menstruation

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Post by Ben »

In the latest pro-life effort brought about by staunch conservative and Tea Party Presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), there is a new bill she brought onto the floor of Congress seeking to ban both male masturbation, and female menstruation.

http://freewoodpost.com/2011/09/12/mich ... struation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Re: Michele Bachmann Seeks To Ban Masturbation and Menstruation

Post by retrofuturist »

Other than...

:rolleye:

:?:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

while Bachmann is, indded, a whack-job, this is a parody -- a joke, son, a joke.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Tilt.
I knew it was satire. But...it flies so close to reality that it, from this outsider's perspective, seems indistinguishable.

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ben wrote:What do you think?
I think that one should not regard the faults of others, nor spread idle gossip.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
I think that one should not regard the faults of others, nor spread idle gossip.
This is serious American politics, heaven help us all.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Serious American politics provides great entertainment for the rest of the world, at least the parts that aren't getting bombed...

:toilet:
_/|\_
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:This is serious American politics, heaven help us all.
You don't need heaven, surely, when you have Bachmann?
:rolleye:

Ben, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. We have Tony Abbott. :embarassed:

Let's leave it at that, folks - Bhante Pesala's comment is the most sensible one we've had or are likely to get.

:namaste:
Kim
plwk

Post by plwk »

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke - Will Rogers
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: Let's leave it at that, folks - Bhante Pesala's comment is the most sensible one we've had or are likely to get.
Naw. Actually, there is a great deal to learn from all of this.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Bhante,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
One was doing neither. I was interested in what people think on the influence of fundamentalist christian values on the US (or western) politics.
Kim wrote:Ben, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. We have Tony Abbott.
Kim, this may come as a surprise but I am not responsible for Tony Abbott's presence in the Australian political system nor his poisonous oppositional behaviour. Furthermore, I don't think that just because we have flawed people within our own political system means that we cannot comment on the politics of others or the moral constructs underpinning those who are in politics. We live in a very connected world where the domestic politics, whether they are US, UK, European, Chinese or Australian ripple and have wide ranging effects throughout the world.

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I weep that upon reading the comments under the article, apparently many, many people missed that it was satire.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” (Sir Winston Churchill)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

There is no need to resort to satire to make a point about scary political figures. There is plenty of factual information that can be posted to make the point. For instance she recently falsely stated that the HPV vaccine could cause mental retardation. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/ ... YM20110915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is reprehensible since there is already a fear of vaccines among parents because of the whole autism thing which was based on a study that faked their data. And that's just one example of off-the-wall stuff she says.

When posting a satirical story for entertainment, I think it would be proper to identify that it is in fact not a real story (since after all with some of these politicians anything seems possible!), to observe right speech.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote:
Kim wrote:Ben, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. We have Tony Abbott.
Kim, this may come as a surprise but I am not responsible for Tony Abbott's presence in the Australian political system nor his poisonous oppositional behaviour. Furthermore, I don't think that just because we have flawed people within our own political system means that we cannot comment on the politics of others or the moral constructs underpinning those who are in politics. We live in a very connected world where the domestic politics, whether they are US, UK, European, Chinese or Australian ripple and have wide ranging effects throughout the world.
Ben
Hi, Ben,
I didn't for a moment blame you for Tony Abbott, of course. I was just saying that Aussies shouldn't be poking fun at the US because they have the Tea Party.
As for "comment[ing] on the politics of others or the moral constructs underpinning those who are in politics," I agree in general but your thread title and OP did not look like the starting point for a reasoned discussion.

:namaste:
Kim