Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
daverupa

Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine

Post by daverupa »

"A group of Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka led a crowd that demolished a Muslim shrine last week, the BBC has learned.

"This incident took place on Saturday in Anuradhapura, an ancient Buddhist city and Unesco world heritage site.

"The monk who led the group told the BBC he did it because the shrine was on land that was given to Sinhalese Buddhists 2,000 years ago.

"But a prominent Muslim in the area said he was very sad and the sentiment was shared by many Sinhalese too."

source
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine

Post by DNS »

Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds.[22] But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this — that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions.[23] Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good.[24] One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working — Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el386.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sad.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Although Muslims have destroyed countless great monuments in Buddhism but there is no need to destroy their shrine. Perhaps they aren't happy about Muslim trying to build a Mosque on a Buddhist UNESCO site.

Similar situation in Thailand where innocent Buddhists are being brutally slaughtered:

8 Buddhists killed by Muslims in 3 separate attacks in Thai South
http://quitenormal.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... hai-south/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
with metta,
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Although Muslims have destroyed countless great monuments in Buddhism but there is no need to destroy their shrine.
I agree with you. At the moment I feel confused, because that's not the way how I understand the Dhamma.
May they be able to find a peacful way and dialogue to solve the problems.
Many greetings from

Claudia
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Claudia wrote: May they be able to find a peacful way and dialogue to solve the problems.
I hope there is a peaceful solution too, because right now these events are very depressing:

"The Islamic insurgency in southern Thailand is perhaps the most under-reported in the world. Over 4300 people have been murdered there in the last seven years."

"News.com.au reports that Islamic terrorists shot and killed a Buddhist family of four at their home in the south of Thailand before dumping their bodies in a forest.

The bodies of a 43-year-old man, a 33-year-old woman, their daughter, aged 16, and their 7-year-old son were found in a forest near a railway in insurgency-plagued Yala province on Tuesday.

Major General Chote Chawalwiwat said, “They were the only Buddhist family left in their village, so the militants wanted to terrify and completely drive out Buddhists,” he told AFP.

Islamists have waged a violent campaign in southern Thailand since 2004, leaving more than 4,400 people dead.

The Bangkok Post adds that the killing of the family is just one of a number of violent incidents across the lower South in the past day or two.

A latex collector was shot dead on Monday while riding his motorcycle in Saladae village of Krong Pinang district, Yala, at 9.50pm, and a fruit trader was shot in the leg while closing his shop at a local market in Muang district of the same province at 10.25pm.

Pol Snr Sgt Maj Preecha Thongsrimai was injured yesterday morning when a pickup truck carrying his squad was bombed on a road in Bue Naereh village of Narathiwat’s Muang district."

"Islamists murder village’s last remaining Buddhist couple and their 2 children in southern Thailand"
Muslim terrorists kill 3 Buddhists, burn bodies in Thai south
5 more Buddhists mowed down in cold blood by cowardly Muslims in Southern Thailand
Muslims in southern Thailand overrun army base, steal weapons and kill 4
Muslims kill 9 and wound 2 in southern Thailand
Muslims kill 7, wound 15 in series of attacks in southern Thailand
Muslim bomb kills one, injures 23 in Thailand
Muslims kill 2 more, wound 5 others in Thailand
Muslim terrorists set off massive fire in Yala, Thailand
with metta,
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I've heard it said "there has never been a Buddhist war". Not sure I believe it.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Of course wars take place in every countries. It would be nice if Buddhist don't get attack. But the reality is they do get attack. For example, Ghandhara was attacked and everyone was forced to become Muslim or die . Buddhist in India was wiped out for some time after violent attacks.

By the way, are there any Buddhist monasteries in the Maldives.
with metta,
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

morning mist wrote:Of course wars take place in every countries. It would be nice if Buddhist don't get attack. But the reality is they do get attack. For example, Ghandhara was attacked and everyone was forced to become Muslim or die . Buddhist in India was wiped out for some time after violent attacks.
But this thread isn't about Muslims attacking Buddhists. It's about Buddhists attacking property belonging to Muslims.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

It is related to Buddhist and Muslim. So are we only suppose to discuss one aspect and not the other ? So if someone created a thread about how muslim destroy Buddhist lives and property right now , no one is suppose to post anything else about their relationship, conflict, etc..
with metta,
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Topic: "Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine"
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Since this topic came up I thought maybe I should look into the situations and relationship between Buddhist and Muslims right now and these are some of the information that came up that I haven't noticed before even though some of them just occurred recently as well.
with metta,
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

To my knowledge, relations between Muslims and Buddhists in Sri Lanka have been rather peaceful thus far.. or at least they're indifferent to one another. I suppose it was inevitable that tensions between the two would rise.

Just because they're Buddhist monks doesn't necessarily mean they're adherent to the Noble Eightfold Path. The vinaya has become so lax there that many monks are just as ill-behaved as anyone else.
Last edited by Viscid on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

I wonder if there are any Buddhist monasteries in the Maldives.
with metta,
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Viscid wrote:So far relations between Muslims and Buddhists in Sri Lanka have been rather peaceful. I suppose it was inevitable that tensions between the two would rise.
Do you mean they have been peaceful since the civil war stopped?

Mike