The consequence for using intoxicants

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Fede

Re: The consequence for using intoxicants

Post by Fede »

Yeh... Saw you Jase.... word of advice.... no luminous pink frock, next time...... :roll: :jumping:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.
Last edited by Nibbida on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Individual wrote:What did the Buddha say is the consequence for using intoxicants (like marijuana and alcohol)?
I would like to bring up the subject of psychoactives and what is regarded as an intoxicant. In fact, some of them probably lead me to the path I'm on today.
I've had a lot of experiences with various psychoactives, I wouldn't consider all of them, at least in a conventional sense to be 'intoxicants' whether this transposes to the Dhamma or not I am not sure.

Although it can be said that Marijuana is conventionally regarded as an intoxicant, in the sense that it does result in attention lapses (lapses of mindfulness?) and thus is not conducive to practise, I don't think it's nearly as harmful as Alcohol.

However I'm sure this is a debate that's been done before and so I would be interested to hear wise opinions on this subject.

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Mexicali

Post by Mexicali »

I've used a lot of what I call "desert drugs" like weed, mescaline, and mushrooms, and drank a lot. Never tried the harder stuff except opiate pills a couple times. It could be fun, but certainly was not conducive to any kind of honest look at life. People who claim that there are enlightening properties to such substances are sort of missing the point; you do get a few scattered insights into the working of your own mind (provided you are paying any attention to your mind and not Cartoon Network), but they're too fleeting and difficult to integrate when you're straight again. Besides the short term inability to function fully, it destroys long term ability to use your mind to its full extent. 'Buddhist' teachers who encourage psychedelic use and/or drinking are reprehensibly irresponsible.
"We do not embrace reason at the expense of emotion. We embrace it at the expense of self-deception."
-- Herbert Muschamp
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:"There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in indulging in intoxicants which cause infatuation and heedlessness:

(i) loss of wealth,
(ii) increase of quarrels,
(iii) susceptibility to disease,
(iv) earning an evil reputation,
(v) shameless exposure of body,
(vi) weakening of intellect.

Sigalovada Sutta
The Discourse to Sigala
The Layperson's Code of Discipline

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Thanks a lot for this :namaste:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

Does anyone know if the Buddha give any adivce on how to overcome desire for alcohol (and other substances)?

Ive had trouble with drink and drugs in the past and was wondering if there is any kind of meditation or recollection that helps with overcoming desire for them, since i still get very strong cravings for them that still effects me from time to time that doesnt seem to go away

Im aware of the numerous discourses that stress the draw backs of sensual pleasure but is there any kind of direct contemplation? or are there even modern teachings that deal with it?

Metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue May 05, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Without looking for it there is a sutta where the Buddha advises a king I think it was to use Mindfulness to overcome his overeating.
clw_uk wrote:Greetings

Does anyone know if the Buddha give any adivce on how to overcome desire for alcohol (and other substances)?

Ive had trouble with drink and drugs in the past and was wondering if there is any kind of meditation or recollection that helps with overcoming desire for them, since i still get very strong cravings for them that still effects me from time to time

Im aware of the numerous discourses that stress the draw backs of sensual pleasure but is there any kind of direct contemplation? or are there even modern teachings that deal with it?

Metta
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks Manapa :smile:

On a further note, is smoking considered a breaking of the 5th precept?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Craig,

No, it's not.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, etiam nunc justo urna vehicula, rhoncus nam non facilisis aliquet, mauris nulla nisl convallis per ut. Venenatis per, vitae dapibus nam pellentesque id pellentesque, tortor augue. Wisi neque lacus dolor et, bibendum leo, mattis quam quisque, curabitur aenean mollis semper diam nisl, maecenas neque non velit. Iaculis velit rutrum odio nibh, lectus et pellentesque arcu quam ac, sit velit tellus hendrerit a augue nisl, mollis ipsum, iaculis vestibulum orci dui mauris ante. Purus malesuada, ut sem, potenti wisi sit velit. Mi dignissim felis rhoncus mauris facilisis, urna consectetuer quisque aliquam curabitur. Suspendisse libero amet sed feugiat. Consequat amet elit consectetuer ut et pellentesque, duis imperdiet nostra sed vestibulum, quis adipiscing nulla ante mattis. At ut commodo, nec orci, metus praesent.

Cras id, tellus wisi quisque curabitur, erat augue lacus lectus pretium, lacus quam tellus vitae quam. Nullam lorem nunc, velit maecenas, vestibulum sed suspendisse eget sem, velit sed, sed libero id. Nec a et. Fermentum senectus consectetuer, faucibus est pharetra vel ac rhoncus nec, ultrices sed mauris perspiciatis odio, ut neque neque posuere. Ullamcorper odio nunc wisi posuere. Pede est vestibulum, eu nunc pharetra, id maecenas accumsan quam faucibus luctus, habitasse vel sagittis eu convallis, urna dolor. Ac dolor ac tellus libero quis lacinia, justo elit vel quis, vestibulum viverra pellentesque sit. Quis tortor ullamcorper amet magnis hymenaeos potenti, interdum mollis quam aliquam turpis nihil.