enable e-mail notifications

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
mirco

enable e-mail notifications

Post by mirco »

DhammaWheel-Team wrote:Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Hi,

I heard, that it never has been working, but,

enabling the e-mail notification for subscribed forums/topics

would lift this forum on a modern standard level plus it would be an easement for all users.

Best Regards, Mirco :)
Last edited by mirco on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andre9999

Re: enable e-mail notifications

Post by andre9999 »

I'd like it too.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

To be honest, I'm quite used to the lack of email notification. In fact, I get notifications from all sorts of forms and it's a nuissance. I never read them, they just sit there in their own little folder taking up space. The "view your posts" is sufficient, I think.

In some ways, I find the lack of email notification is quite liberating.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Mawkish1983 wrote:To be honest, I'm quite used to the lack of email notification. In fact, I get notifications from all sorts of forms and it's a nuissance. I never read them, they just sit there in their own little folder taking up space. The "view your posts" is sufficient, I think.

In some ways, I find the lack of email notification is quite liberating.
Hi Mawkish,

I know what you are talking about.

But being notified can also mean, that you not only get a message when someone answeres you post, but e.g. to know if there are any new posts and/or topics in any forum. Because you subscribed to them. Without having to browse that pages. I know, it might can become a bit 'controlly'. But on the other hand, it's a great way to get in touch with peoples, views and topics, I would not recognize, because I usually don't browse all the forums subforum by subforum to see who wrote what.

All the best, always, Mirco :)
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

mirco wrote:...enabling the e-mail notification for subscribed forums/topics would lift this forum on a modern standard level plus it would be an easement for all users.
+1 :coffee:
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

+1 :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

+1

An alternative would be to enable the generation RSS or Atom feeds (and with a little effort you can make those reach you by mail anyway).
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

+0

I would only like this feature if it was optional.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

On most boards it is optional if it is implemented.

On a relatively small forum, like this one, the lack of notifications is not really a problem (though relying on it working when it isn't could be...). It's on large forums where one might typically ask one specific question and not want to look at hundreds of threads to see if it was answered where notification is really essential.

In the case of this board, I understand there is a problem with the notifications:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
worldly.guy

Post by worldly.guy »

mirco wrote:
DhammaWheel-Team wrote:Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Hi,

I heard, that it never has been working, but,

enabling the e-mail notification for subscribed forums/topics

would lift this forum on a modern standard level plus it would be an easement for all users.
Yeah, I wish I could enjoy that feature too ...
fxam

Post by fxam »

+1
Ben

Post by Ben »

fxam wrote:+1
It won't be happening any time soon.
I suggest you get used to it (sorry)!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mirco

Post by mirco »

I don't get it. What is so exceptional different with this board software?

I maybe can get some help, if it is wanted.

Regards, :-)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mirco,
mirco wrote:I don't get it. What is so exceptional different with this board software?
To know that we'd have to know precisely what the problem was. What we do know is that there are others who have configured their phpBB e-mail sections in the same way as we configured ours, and their's worked. Therefore, we suspect the problem lies with the server/environment provided by the ISP, but whenever it's mentioned to them, they say there's nothing at their end which should prevent it working.

:computerproblem:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."