Which Dhamma book would you choose as a gift?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Ben

Re: Which Dhamma book would you choose as a gift?

Post by Ben »

Hi Sam
If you are looking for something for yourself, then I recommend you get Ven Analayo's masterpiece "Satipatthana: the direct route to realization".
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Ben wrote:Hi Sam
If you are looking for something for yourself, then I recommend you get Ven Analayo's masterpiece "Satipatthana: the direct route to realization".
kind regards

Ben
Thanks Ben, I will find that book too. I am looking for something to give as a gift but before that I want to read it myself as well.
alan

Post by alan »

Analayo's book is too difficult for beginners.
Ben

Post by Ben »

That's right Alan. That is why I recommended it to Sam for himself.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

The Life of the Buddha by Nanamoli Thera, good in various ways. It's primarily excerpts from the canon and the commentaries, the most biographical parts. It's an enjoyable read. One of the chapters was distributed on its own as a primer in Buddhism. It seems to me it would be good for a beginner.

Fig Tree
jackson

Post by jackson »

Greetings SamKR, :smile:
I'd like to second Alan's recommendation of Ayya Khema, particularly her book "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere". It covers a lot of ground, and is a book that I'm rereading right now and will likely read again. It also won the Christmas Humphreys Award for best introductory Buddhist book, but I'd say it's great for people who have been practicing a while as well. Anyway, I hope I'm not too late to this thread and best wishes!
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah