Heavens to betsy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Heavens to betsy

Post by tiltbillings »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/world ... ml?_r=2&em" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Heavens to betsy

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I'd really like to know what the monks are chanting.
Fede

Post by Fede »

:broke:

"We're in the money! We're in the money!"

Gracious me that really is a limit.....!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma.

Fede wrote::broke:

"We're in the money! We're in the money!"

Gracious me that really is a limit.....!
teehee :lol:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

From the article:

"Many Thais say that the true spirit of Buddhism is being lost."
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Drolma wrote:I'd really like to know what the monks are chanting.
You struck my curiosity enough. I wasn't going to watch the video at first. I skipped through it to check a few points, but didn't see anywhere in the video that there wasn't the narrator or anything else drowning out the chanting. Please let me know if there is a point in time where this is not the case and I'd be happy to try and help.

What I could make out didn't seem to be any chants I'm familiar with, but since they were pretty drowned out I can't say that for sure.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Peter wrote:"Many Thais say that the true spirit of Buddhism is being lost."
I hope they keep saying it too... and point to what that true spirit is.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

Peter wrote:From the article:

"Many Thais say that the true spirit of Buddhism is being lost."
I'm glad they see it too. Soon they'll have a Thai Reformation...which will only cause more problems. =p But I sure hope they get their act together. May they all be well. _/|\_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

This isn't particularly special, apart from the coffins it sounds like what I've seen at the local Wat. Here the lay person just disappears under a sheet, the monks chant some of the funeral chants about "sankhara anicca...", then they come out and the monks chant some sort of birth chant.

As far as I can understand, people do it here to "turn over a new leaf", etc, when they want to "turn their life around". Of course it might be more effective for them to do a meditation retreat, but I think there is a place for ritual as long as one appreciates it for what it is. At least they make some merit by making a donation...

Metta
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings
mikenz66 wrote:At least they make some merit by making a donation...
I wonder about the potential demerit of those performing the ceremonies.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ngawang Drolma.

I know someone who uses a coffin for a coffee table as a reminder of impermanence. Frankly, I don't feel it's fair to rush to judgment without knowing exactly what the monks are chanting, and how the experience of lying in a coffin is affecting people. That's my two cents.
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

mikenz66 wrote:This isn't particularly special, apart from the coffins it sounds like what I've seen at the local Wat. Here the lay person just disappears under a sheet, the monks chant some of the funeral chants about "sankhara anicca...", then they come out and the monks chant some sort of birth chant.

As far as I can understand, people do it here to "turn over a new leaf", etc, when they want to "turn their life around". Of course it might be more effective for them to do a meditation retreat, but I think there is a place for ritual as long as one appreciates it for what it is. At least they make some merit by making a donation...

Metta
Mike
This?
Rupapadanak-khando
Vedanupadanak-khando
Sannupadanak-khando
Sankharupadanak-khando
Vinnanupadanak-khando
Yesam parinnaya
Dharmano so bhagava
Evam bahulam savake vineti
Evam bhaga ca panassa bhagavato savakesu anusani bahula pavattati

Rupam aniccam
Vedana anicca
Sanna anicca
Sankhara anicca
Vinnanam aniccam
Rupam anatta
Vedana anatta
Sanna anatta
Sankhara anatta
Vinanam anatta
I might have another look at that video and see if I can make that out somewhere. I'm really not familiar with this ritual at all.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: I wonder about the potential demerit of those performing the ceremonies.
I can't speak for the case in the news, but for the regular ceremony that I described I don't see why there should there be demerit for the monks any more than there would be demerit with the other ceremonies, such as when the monks chant blessing when the lay people offer them food. In either case the lay people make an offering and (implicitly in the regular offering case) ask for a protective chant.

If the monks were turning it into a lucrative business for their own gain by their own planning then that would be a different issue, but generally lay people look after fund-raising issues...

Perhaps some of our Monastics could comment.

Metta
Mike
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Drolma wrote:I don't feel it's fair to rush to judgment without knowing exactly what the monks are chanting...
Not to single you out here Drolma...Whatever they're chanting, what difference does it make?...the people don't know what it means...and being Pali there's a real good chance the monk doesn't know either...I know I'm asking for a flameout here, but that's the view from this angle... :popcorn:
Ngawang Drolma.

Hi Bhante,

Thank you for your feedback :anjali:

edited: rest of post deleted due to lack of relevance.
Last edited by Ngawang Drolma. on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.