The consequence for using intoxicants

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Individual

The consequence for using intoxicants

Post by Individual »

What did the Buddha say is the consequence for using intoxicants (like marijuana and alcohol)?

And even if he said such things, what is your proof of his claims?

I vaguely remember hearing that people who use intoxicants will be crazy in future lives. Is this true? Is mental illness in the present life due to intoxicants in the past?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The consequence for using intoxicants

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the Book of the Eights of the Gradual Sayings, the Buddha teaches:

“Monks, drinking intoxicants, if done frequently or habitually, leads to rebirth in hell, rebirth as an animal or as a hungry ghost. At the very least, the result of this evil deed when born as a human being is that one becomes a mad person.” (Duccaritavipākasuttaṃ)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:...if done frequently or habitually...
Looks like I found the dhamma just in time then :)

Thank you Bhante
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

10. Duccaritavipākasuttaṃ

I append to the Pali text just the least result of these eight unwholesome kammas, if one is reborn as a human being, and not in hell, or the other lower realms.

40. “Pāṇātipāto, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko. Yo sabbalahuso pāṇātipātassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa appāyukasaṃvattaniko hoti. (killing living beings leads to short life)

“Adinnādānaṃ, bhikkhave, āsevitaṃ bhāvitaṃ bahulīkataṃ nirayasaṃvattanikaṃ tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikaṃ pettivisayasaṃvattanikaṃ. Yo sabbalahuso adinnādānassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa bhogabyasanasaṃvattaniko hoti. (stealing leads to destruction or loss of one's property)

“Kāmesumicchācāro, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko. Yo sabbalahuso kāmesumicchācārassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa sapattaverasaṃvattaniko hoti. (sexual misconduct leads to having hostile rivals)

“Musāvādo, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko. Yo sabbalahuso musāvādassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa abhūtabbhakkhānasaṃvattaniko hoti. (lying leads to false accusations)

“Pisuṇā, bhikkhave, vācā āsevitā bhāvitā bahulīkatā nirayasaṃvattanikā tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikā pettivisayasaṃvattanikā. Yo sabbalahuso pisuṇāya vācāya vipāko, manussabhūtassa mittehi bhedanasaṃvattaniko hoti. (slander leads to the dissolution of friendships)

“Pharusā, bhikkhave, vācā āsevitā bhāvitā bahulīkatā nirayasaṃvattanikā tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikā pettivisayasaṃvattanikā. Yo sabbalahuso pharusāya vācāya vipāko, manussabhūtassa amanāpasaddasaṃvattaniko hoti. (leads to a displeasing voice)

“Samphappalāpo, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko. Yo sabbalahuso samphappalāpassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa anādeyyavācāsaṃvattaniko hoti. (idle chatter leads to ones speech being disregarded)

“Surāmerayapānaṃ, bhikkhave, āsevitaṃ bhāvitaṃ bahulīkataṃ nirayasaṃvattanikaṃ tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikaṃ pettivisayasaṃvattanikaṃ. Yo sabbalahuso surāmerayapānassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa ummattakasaṃvattaniko hotī”ti. (taking intoxicants leads to insanity)

āsevitaṃ = practised; bhāvitaṃ = cultivated; bahulīkataṃ = made much of; niraya = hell; saṃvattanikaṃ = leads to; tiracchāna = animal; yoni = womb; pettivisaya = hungry ghosts; yo = whoever; sabbalahuso = the least of all; vipāko = kammic result; manussa = human being; bhūtassa = becoming, state of; ummattakasa = madness, insanity.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
bodom

Post by bodom »

"There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in indulging in intoxicants which cause infatuation and heedlessness:

(i) loss of wealth,
(ii) increase of quarrels,
(iii) susceptibility to disease,
(iv) earning an evil reputation,
(v) shameless exposure of body,
(vi) weakening of intellect.

Sigalovada Sutta
The Discourse to Sigala
The Layperson's Code of Discipline

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Individual wrote:What did the Buddha say is the consequence for using intoxicants (like marijuana and alcohol)?

And even if he said such things, what is your proof of his claims?

I vaguely remember hearing that people who use intoxicants will be crazy in future lives. Is this true? Is mental illness in the present life due to intoxicants in the past?

Ever been addicted to drugs? If you have then you have the proof of the Buddhas statement. The consequences of alcoholism and drug addiction are blantantly obvious. 80% percent of the prison population in the world is drug or alchol related.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Fede

Post by Fede »

What great and wondrous kamma I must have had to be born as I am!
I have never been attracted to, nor partaken in any intoxicant save on only one occasion during my dim, distant and foolish youth!
It taught me a lesson I have never forgotten!

never again!

Sadly though, I have all too often seen and witnessed the effects on others.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Justin

Post by Justin »

I walked into sociology two weeks ago to find that a classmate of mine had his right arm in a cast. When he was asked what happened to him, he replied that he had gotten drunk at a party over the weekend, fallen into a deluded fury, and punched a thick wooden staircase banister, breaking his wrist. Sadly, he now has to type his entire term paper with one hand. Truly the Buddha knew what he was doing when he prohibited intoxicants.
Cultivate generosity, the life of peace,
and a mind of boundless love.

Itivuttuka 16
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Justin wrote:I walked into sociology two weeks ago to find that a classmate of mine had his right arm in a cast. When he was asked what happened to him, he replied that he had gotten drunk at a party over the weekend, fallen into a deluded fury, and punched a thick wooden staircase banister, breaking his wrist. Sadly, he now has to type his entire term paper with one hand. Truly the Buddha knew what he was doing when he prohibited intoxicants.
Right. intoxicants inhibit judgment and therefore make you more likely to do things you normally wouldn't. A main point is that it makes you more likely to break the preceding 4 precepts.

Buddhists are to cease doing evil, do good, and cultivate purity in the mind. The third is clearly hindered by intoxicants.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SeerObserver wrote: intoxicants inhibit judgment and therefore make you more likely to do things you normally wouldn't. A main point is that it makes you more likely to break the preceding 4 precepts.

Buddhists are to cease doing evil, do good, and cultivate purity in the mind. The third is clearly hindered by intoxicants.
their is a zen store which is all about this, but Alcohol also aggravates and heightens mental disorders.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Manapa wrote:
SeerObserver wrote: intoxicants inhibit judgment and therefore make you more likely to do things you normally wouldn't. A main point is that it makes you more likely to break the preceding 4 precepts.

their is a zen store which is all about this, but Alcohol also aggravates and heightens mental disorders.
A zen store whose theme is anti-intoxicants? Does this mean that most of the books, tapes, etc. sold there discuss that topic? Do they have a website?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SeerObserver wrote:
Manapa wrote:

A zen store whose theme is anti-intoxicants? Does this mean that most of the books, tapes, etc. sold there discuss that topic? Do they have a website?
oops I meant story????
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Fede wrote:What great and wondrous kamma I must have had to be born as I am!
Indeed :) you've earn't it :)
Fede

Post by Fede »

And the buddies I have 'slap me up de head' if ever I come across as muddled and be-fuddled in the noddle - and long may they keep doing so! Best "sober up!" call anyone could have!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason

Post by Jason »

SeerObserver wrote:
Justin wrote:Right. intoxicants inhibit judgment and therefore make you more likely to do things you normally wouldn't.
Yeah, like letting loose and dancing the night away at a Presets show. :D
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)