First Jhana...a description

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
chownah

First Jhana...a description

Post by chownah »

I was surprised to find this reference to first jhana which seems to indicate that not only is there directed thought happening but also evaluation....for me the concept of evaluation means a fairly complex mental event....it seems to me from the description in this Sutta that first jhana could very likely be attained or maintained while off the cushion.....I guess....
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MN 43 PTS: M i 292
Mahavedalla Sutta: The Greater Set of Questions-and-Answers
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2006–2011

"........................................
The first jhana
"What, friend, is the first jhana?"

"There is the case, friend, where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensual pleasures, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. This is called the first jhana."

"And how many factors does the first jhana have?"

"The first jhana has five factors. There is the case where, in a monk who has attained the five-factored first jhana, there occurs directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, & singleness of mind. It's in this way that the first jhana has five factors."

"And how many factors are abandoned in the first jhana, and with how many is it endowed?"

"Five factors are abandoned in the first jhana, and with five is it endowed. There is the case where, in a monk who has attained the first jhana, sensual desire is abandoned, ill will is abandoned, sloth & torpor is abandoned, restlessness & anxiety is abandoned, uncertainty is abandoned. And there occur directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, & singleness of mind. It's in this way that five factors are abandoned in the first jhana, and with five it is endowed."
....................................."
Cittasanto

Re: First Jhana...a description

Post by Cittasanto »

savitakkaṃ, savicāraṃ, vivekajaṃ pītisukhaṃ,
having initial thought, reflection, as-well as the happiness and joyful-interest native to seclusion,

this is a common description of the first Jhana

it is commonly described to me as placing the nail on the spot it is going to be nailed in (initial thought = vitakka) tthen hammering it in (reflection = vicāra)

Another, less frequent, description of the first jhāna factors includes 'cittass'ekaggata' which can be translated as unification of mind, although it can also be translated as one-pointedness of mind, however as cetaso ekodibhāva can also be translated in both ways, and is commonly used to describe the second jhana, so it would be reasonable to assume a earlier stage on mental unification, where the mind is unified upon the object, although not completely stable due to the verbal formations (savitakkaṃ, savicāraṃ, = initial thought, reflection,) still being present.

I relate it on a coarse level to be like
vitakka, = there is the object.
vicāra = this is what the object is like.

P.S., allot of confusion arises due to this part of the description by the way.
Last edited by Cittasanto on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

When sitting in meditation the mind becomes refined, but whatever state it's in we should try to be aware of it, to know it. Mental activity is there together with tranquillity. There is vitakka. Vitakka is the action of bringing the mind to the theme of contemplation. If there is not much mindfulness, there will be not much vitakka. Then vicāra, the contemplation around that theme, follows. Various weak mental impressions may arise from time to time but our self-awareness is the important thing-whatever may be happening we know it continuously. As we go deeper we are constantly aware of the state of our meditation, knowing whether or not the mind is firmly established. Thus, both concentration and awareness are present.
To have a peaceful mind does not mean that there's nothing happening, mental impressions do arise.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/On_Meditation1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
chownah

Post by chownah »

What I'm wondering but did not emphasize enough is whether from the description I posted does it seem likely that first jhana can be attained or maintained OFF the cushion? It seems to me that since directed thought and analysis occur then it seems that one could take the process of walking (for instance) as the object (instead of the breath) and the directed thought and analysis could be adequate to support the facilities needed for walking.....I guess this would be first jhana while doing walking meditation....
chownah
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

some suttas I have read do indicate that it maybe possible although it is not explicitly stated!

however saying that I do doubt it is Jhana when off the cushion but rather what is called access or neighbourhood concentration, also there are some descriptions of the Buddha within the texts which would suggest (to me at least) he may of well been in some form of jhana like state all the time, but again it would of not been jhana proper.

edit - jhana at the first level is said to have the side effect of non-movement, one has a degree of focus that does not allow for physical movement, and as walking meditation is never directly associated to Jhana 'proper' then it is more likely the case that this would be access or neighbourhood concentration.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Zom

Post by Zom »

I was surprised to find this reference to first jhana which seems to indicate that not only is there directed thought happening but also evaluation....for me the concept of evaluation means a fairly complex mental event....
As I see it, this is an incorrect interpretation of Ven. Thanissaro. This "evaluation" in pali sound like "vicara", and Canonical Commentaries say that this is not an "evaluation", but this is the function of the mind that holds an object (so that is just "holding" the meditation object). While the second factor is vitakka - and that is NOT a thought, but a this is a mind's directing to the object. So the commentarial example of these 2 factors is this: imagine that you grab a cup with left hand and start rubbing it with right hand. Same with the mind applying itself onto the object. It directs itself (vitakka) and holds the object (vicara). When these 2 factors will be strong and continuous, an ekaggata (unity/one-pointedness) factor will start to develop.

From personal experience I can say, that while i've never been to jhana, I managed to gain some one-pointed samadhi for quite a long time. And the mind was very still - without any thoughts. And this is still quite far from 1st jhana. So as I see it - in the 1st jhana there are no thoughts at all.

PS: The most informative description of all 4 jhanas with preliminary stage (abandoning hindrances) can be found here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By the way, it is useful to notice, that jhanas here are said to be the fruits of ascetic life. That means that this is almost the very end of the Path ,)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Zom wrote:
I was surprised to find this reference to first jhana which seems to indicate that not only is there directed thought happening but also evaluation....for me the concept of evaluation means a fairly complex mental event....
As I see it, this is an incorrect interpretation of Ven. Thanissaro. This "evaluation" in pali sound like "vicara", and Canonical Commentaries say that this is not an "evaluation", but this is the function of the mind that holds an object (so that is just "holding" the meditation object). While the second factor is vitakka - and that is NOT a thought, but a this is a mind's directing to the object. So the commentarial example of these 2 factors is this: imagine that you grab a cup with left hand and start rubbing it with right hand. Same with the mind applying itself onto the object. It directs itself (vitakka) and holds the object (vicara). When these 2 factors will be strong and continuous, an ekaggata (unity/one-pointedness) factor will start to develop.

From personal experience I can say, that while i've never been to jhana, I managed to gain some one-pointed samadhi for quite a long time. And the mind was very still - without any thoughts. And this is still quite far from 1st jhana. So as I see it - in the 1st jhana there are no thoughts at all.

PS: The most informative description of all 4 jhanas with preliminary stage (abandoning hindrances) can be found here:
By the way, it is useful to notice, that jhanas here are said to be the fruits of ascetic life. That means that this is almost the very end of the Path ,)
So in your view offering a description or commentary on a state you have no experience of is likely to be useful ?
Zom

Post by Zom »

So in your view offering a description or commentary on a state you have no experience of is likely to be useful ?
I do have experience of vitakka-vicara and I think everybody does - if one put at least some effort to notice that ,)
Concerning jhanas - yes, the descriptions are extremely useful, because without them you can take anything for jhana.
In other words, map is boldly needed on the way.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Manapa,
Do you know where you got the non-movement notion?...a reference and/or link would be great. I guess the movements of breathing would be excluded....any explanation of why?
chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

Zom wrote:
Zom,
What you say is interesting. I'm hoping for something more certain than "sounds like". If you think it would be clearer with another translation can you find someone else's translation of the same Sutta?
chownah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Capturing the sense of vitakka-vicara in a more colloquial way will come from translating the pair as "thinking-pondering". It still captures the subtlety of the difference while at the same time making it easier to locate in one's experience.

The five-factored jhana description in that Sutta is likely a later formulation. "Unlike the previous four jhana factors, one-pointedness is not specifically mentioned in the standard formula for the first jhana, but it is included among the jhana factors by the Mahavedalla Sutta (M.i,294) as well as in the Abhidhamma and the commentaries." (source) "Furthermore in the 2nd Jhana, vitakka and vicara are replaced with "vupasama, ajjhattam sampasadanam" and "ekodi-bhavam" - "inner tranquility" and "unification of mind." If there was ekaggata in 1st Jhana, there would be no need to specify the gaining of "ekodi-bhavam" to replace vitakka and vicara in the 2nd Jhana." (source)

So, the Sutta in question is actually the one Sutta that makes understanding the Suttanta description of jhana problematic!
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Zom wrote:
I do have experience of vitakka-vicara and I think everybody does - if one put at least some effort to notice that ,)
Concerning jhanas - yes, the descriptions are extremely useful, because without them you can take anything for jhana.
In other words, map is boldly needed on the way.
As is demonstrated quite regularly, even WITH them you can take anything for Jhana.

The moral is I think, if one is interested in the Jnanas ignore what is opined on online forums and get thee to a hands on teacher...in the absence of which leave the subject alone.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

chownah wrote:Manapa,
Do you know where you got the non-movement notion?...a reference and/or link would be great. I guess the movements of breathing would be excluded....any explanation of why?
chownah
of the top of my head no, sorry, but I will have a look. I have a feeling it is to do with the quality not normally mentioned i.e. the fifth factor, I mentioned more about above.

hopefully another will be able to give a reference.

John Stuart Mill
Zom

Post by Zom »

What you say is interesting. I'm hoping for something more certain than "sounds like". If you think it would be clearer with another translation can you find someone else's translation of the same Sutta?
I'm not sure there is some. Perhaps of Ven. Bodhi.. Nanamoli ..Nyanaponika?
There you would find something like "applied thought" and "directed thought" as far as I remember his translations...
As is demonstrated quite regularly, even WITH them you can take anything for Jhana.
The moral is I think, if one is interested in the Jnanas ignore what is opined on online forums and get thee to a hands on teacher...in the absence of which leave the subject alone.
Sure, but actually it is much easier to see that this is the real jhana with these suttas examples (when happiness and rapture are filling your whole body that no single spot remains unfilled with them). For example from time to time in meditation (both walking and sitting) I experience some kind of goosebumps - both with the skin and even internally, though they last only for seconds and never cover and fill the whole body. So this experience seems to coincide with what is being said in the sutta - (though this must be some preliminary stage, that could eventually lead to jhana). If I will manage to fill the body completely and perhaps sustain it for some period of time, I think I would consider this to be a jhana.

Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman's apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates... this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.

Buddha would not say that if there was no need for it ,)
chownah

Post by chownah »

chownah wrote:
Zom wrote:
Zom,
chownah
Zom,
Seems that your "sounds like" was exactly right for vitakka and vicara...now can you direct me to the commentary that you say expounds on these?...or another translation...or both?
chownah