Sutta on Anger

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Epistemes

Sutta on Anger

Post by Epistemes »

Hi,

I'm returning to a practice of Buddhism. Sort of got into it about 12 years ago during my senior year in high school, now I'm almost 30 and looking for some direction from an old friend - namely, the Buddha.

The past 12 years have left me friendless, in debt, and horribly, horribly angry and resentful. There is very little peace within. I was hoping someone might point me in the direction of a sutta that deals with anger and resentment towards self and others - something that I can read multiple times and reflect upon. I have a copy of In the Buddha's Words if anyone knows anything in there that might help.

Many blessings.
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
cooran

Re: Sutta on Anger

Post by cooran »

Hello Epistemes,

Please have a look at these suttas and articles at the link below and let us know what you think:

Anger. See also Conflict; Ill-will (vyapada); Kilesa (defilements); Khanti (patience); Metta (loving-kindness); Nivarana (hindrances); War.
As the only thing that's good to kill: SN 1.71
What to do if someone is angry with you: SN 7.2, SN 11.4
What to do when ~ arises: Thag 6.12
The best response to ~ (a debate between two deities): SN 11.5
~ can carve into you like an inscription in stone: AN 3.130
~ can never be conquered with more ~: SN 11.4, Dhp 3
"Anger" (Dhammapada XVII)
The dangers of giving in to ~: AN 7.60
The Elimination of Anger (Piyatissa)
Positive Response: How to Meet Evil with Good (Buddharakkhita)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html#anger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Here're some great suttas about the topic. accesstoinsight.org is a good site for further info. Good luck..
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .olen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
altar

Post by altar »

i like bhante guaratana's talks/guided meditations, including metta.
he mentions several antidotes to ill-will, one of which is physical labor. of course, loving-kindness is the classic approach.
however, recently i have been interested in interpreting "ill-will" not merely as intense aversion, but also as an illness of will.
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

I've read through the suttas which you all have so graciously linked for me. Unfortunately, they don't explain much to help me in my current situation. While I can perceive more clearly the effects of anger, there seems to be little advice on how to avoid anger except to confront an angry person (myself) with patience.

I guess the only real answer to understanding why I'm so pissed off at everything and how to overcome that negative sensation is through meditation.
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

have a look at MN20 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MN58 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
although a practice of meditation is always good, this would include sense restraint as-well as formal sitting, remember the buddhas advice

Dhp verse 362;“With hands restrained, feet restrained, and speech restrained, skilled in self control, inwardly settled, pleased & solitary of mind - this is said to be a mendicant.”

Dhp verse 183 “Do not perform any unskilful acts, skilful acts are the way of a mendicant, so purify your own mind - this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach”

Dhp.v.184 Forbearing long-standing stress is the greatest austerity, more-so is the superiority of nibbāna: this is what the Buddhas say.
Those gone-forth should not injure others, nor are they a contemplative if they tread the path of abusing another.

Dhp.v.185 Not insulting, nor injuring, restraint in line with the monastic precepts, Moderation with food, dwelling in seclusion, and dedication to the concentrated mind: this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach.

hope these help
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Epistemes wrote:I guess the only real answer to understanding why I'm so pissed off at everything and how to overcome that negative sensation is through meditation.
Anger isn't a base emotion - there's some other emotion behind it that you'll see if you keep observing. Maybe you're hurt or embarrassed, or maybe you're insulted because someone doesn't subscribe to the same beliefs about who you are as a person.

Keep digging friend.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Meditation is definitely the tool to be used. Also, don't forget physical excercises (especially aerobics ones like hiking, biking, swimming, jogging...) which are known to help reducing stress and keeping the mind sharp, mindful, and alert. Life is full of tough problems to solve. A fresh mind will help you approach the problem, analyze, test, and finally solve it accurately and effectively. Good luck..
nameless

Post by nameless »

I found Mindfulness in plain English helpful, you might want to read through the parts "Dealing with problems" and "Dealing with distractions" if you don't want to go through the whole thing, though I would recommend it. Unfortunately there seems to be no section on anger specifically, but if you read about dealing with all the other stuff you might get an idea how to apply it to anger.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Epistemes wrote:I'm returning to a practice of Buddhism. Sort of got into it about 12 years ago during my senior year in high school, now I'm almost 30 and looking for some direction from an old friend - namely, the Buddha.

The past 12 years have left me friendless, in debt, and horribly, horribly angry and resentful. There is very little peace within.
We're not that different, you an me. I'm going to pile on with others here and strongly recommend metta meditation. While it probably won't do much about the cause (where the anger stems from), I think you'll find that it'll greatly help the symptom (the feelings and thoughts of anger).

Meditation showed me that nearly every thought I have about other people is angry. I haven't figured out why nor how to fix it, but I have found that metta meditation in the morning at least gets me off on the right foot.