U.N. Declares Famine in Somalia

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Modus.Ponens

Re: U.N. Declares Famine in Somalia

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thanks sattva.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

The difficulty in Somalia right now is that a lot of the famine area is under the control of hard-line Islamic insurgent group, al-Shabab which is preventing relief organizations from getting in.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
sattva

Post by sattva »

The Amy Winehouse thread is now up to 555 views with 33 replies. This thread has only 160 views with 16 replies.

From the Washington Post:
"Famine in parts of southern Somalia has killed tens of thousands of people, mostly children, the United Nations said Wednesday in an official declaration of what aid officials describe as the worst humanitarian crisis in the troubled country in two decades".

"'In some areas of Bakool and Lower Shabelle, six children per 10,000 younger than 5 are dying every day', Bowden said".

Makes one wonder, one singer dies, tens of thousands have died, ---555 views, 160 views.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed.

Something I read yesterday made me think...
Charity: water estimates each $US20 donation is enough to provide one person with clean drinking water for 20 years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/from-220 ... z1TSl0fgxb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely incredible. Just goes to show how little money can make such a profound difference.
Makes one wonder, one singer dies, tens of thousands have died, ---555 views, 160 views.
It may not be that unusual. Have a look at the title of the article I linked above:
From $220 to $400,000: Rachel's dream becomes a reality
On one level its a real indictment of who we are and what motivates our care and compassion.

And remember - dana is good, a really good thing to do.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Unfortunately, the news isn't getting any better.

Over 29,000 dead, under the age of 5.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44021514/ns ... jzFJYLAztB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43841708/ns ... jzE3oLAztA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alan

Post by alan »

Their suffering will continue until they get the political situation figured out, which they won't.
Send money if you wish but realize it is a hopeless cause.
Ben

Post by Ben »

alan wrote:Their suffering will continue until they get the political situation figured out, which they won't.
Send money if you wish but realize it is a hopeless cause.
Quite the contrary.

Just an indication of how profound a difference a little money can make to the lives of those facing starvation:

Cost of food for one week for one family in sub-saharan Chad: $US1.23
Source: What the World Eats

Cost of providing water for 20 people for 20 years in East Africa: $US20
Source: Charity: Water

And in Myanmar I witnessed how one person, with no money of her own, could make an incredible difference to the lives of tens of thousands of people in the face of, at best, political indifference.

Just follow the links in my signature field.

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Ben wrote:Indeed.

Charity: water estimates each $US20 donation is enough to provide one person with clean drinking water for 20 years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/from-220 ... z1TSl0fgxb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely incredible. Just goes to show how little money can make such a profound difference.
It may not be that unusual. Have a look at the title of the article I linked above:
On one level its a real indictment of who we are and what motivates our care and compassion.

Ben,

Thank you for the gentle reminders. I have just donated $10.00 to the link at the bottom of your signature. I find it hard to justify the extravagances that I indulge in when so many are starving to death. As you may know, I observe Ramadan (due to a complex combination f circumstance) and am trying to make it a conscious practice not only of nekkhama but also of dana by donating the cost of the meals I skip each day to suitable charities or homeless people on the streets. May you and everyone else who has contributed to this thread be well and thank you again! Anumodana!

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
chownah

Post by chownah »

From a post above:
"the worst humanitarian crisis in the troubled country in two decades"
It was WORSE 20 years ago.......it is going to happen again.......even when this famine is over don't forget that it is going to happen again.......don't wait for melanoma to appear before you start using sun block.....don't wait for your teeth to fall out before you start flossing......don't wait for the next famine before......
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _%26_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original story:

Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.

The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person he said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

Original Story by: Loren Eisley
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear Mike,
Khalil Bodhi wrote: Ben,

Thank you for the gentle reminders. I have just donated $10.00 to the link at the bottom of your signature. I find it hard to justify the extravagances that I indulge in when so many are starving to death. As you may know, I observe Ramadan (due to a complex combination f circumstance) and am trying to make it a conscious practice not only of nekkhama but also of dana by donating the cost of the meals I skip each day to suitable charities or homeless people on the streets. May you and everyone else who has contributed to this thread be well and thank you again! Anumodana!

Mike
Thanks for sharing your act of generosity. Your selflessness dana is indeed an inspiration.
with Metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi David,
David N. Snyder wrote:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _%26_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original story:

Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.

The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person he said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

Original Story by: Loren Eisley
That s a great story and salient reminder that none of our wholesome efforts are ever wasted.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:
Ben wrote:Indeed.

Ben,

Mike
Thank you both for your generosity and these reminders. We who live in modern "developed" nations have it so easy compared to most people who share our world.

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks for all the posts, links, and thoughts, everyone. :anjali:

I am not a big fan of most news shows (I prefer public televison to others), but Anderson Cooper at CNN is broadcasting from Somalia tonight (8 EDT) and he did last night, also.

Here is one video:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/ ... =allsearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some links to videos about Somalia and Kenya on the CNN site:
http://www.cnn.com/search/?query=Somali ... intl=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
palchi

Post by palchi »

This is the UNICEF emergency appeal to donor countries: http://www.unicef.org/emerg/files/UNICE ... y_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It has the hard data as of 24 July - description of the crisis in the different countries, number of children affected, action needed and funding gaps...