Ordination in Thailand Info & Advice

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
nathan

Re: Ordination in Thailand Info & Advice

Post by nathan »

Does all of this Mahanikai/Dhammakai stuff ever make sense?

Hi Phil, thanks for the kind words. I've had to bide my time and prepare slowly while other conditions changed and made this possible again so I know what it is like to want do this but not be fully able to do it as well. Things have finally all come together well more recently. I have been committed to this course of action and beginning in Thailand for about 4 months now. This is the final pre-Thailand stage now. Plans and steps for final departure and early arrival. I've managed to keep it relaxed, not too nervous or overexcited but looking forward to all of it immensely. :smile:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Bhante,
gavesako wrote:If someone had been ordained by a Dhammakai upajjhaya (also part of the Mahanikai sect), they would not want him to maintain such contact (because Dhammakai is seen as a "suspicious" organization).
I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Hi Nathan

I'm kind of surprised that people haven't mentioned Wat Bowon, as a possibility.

I was there in January visiting Phra Kevin, and he seems very well situated.

Paul
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Paul,
PaulC wrote:I'm kind of surprised that people haven't mentioned Wat Bowon, as a possibility.
Wat Boworn these days is an asura realm. A very competitive, unfriendly and unhelpful community. If a westerner wants to be a Dhammayutt monk, the farang-friendly Wat Rama IX would be a much better option.
I was there in January visiting Phra Kevin, and he seems very well situated.
Probably just putting on a brave face. Kevin disrobed in February.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Ah! So I spoke too soon!

"Well-situated" as a staging ground for other things, perhaps ...

Thankyou, Bhante.

(And trusting you're in somewhat better health ...)

Paul
nathan

Post by nathan »

Ok two reviews in, Wat Boworn no, Wat Rama IX yes, any websites, links or contact/location info for Wat Rama IX?

Also, new question, what are some signs of an undesirable community and so on? What would I look for that wouldn't be obvious to a green farang?
:smile:
Thanks all.
wellness
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Ajahn Sudhiro, a Thai monk who has a forest monastery in Khon Kaen province (north-east Thailand) and also in New Zealand, is affiliated with Wat Rama IX and has helped to arrange temporary and long-term ordinations for several Westerners already. This would definitely be one alternative on the Dhammayut scene, although he personally travels a lot and cannot offer a consistent training probably. See his website at http://www.rightview.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
nathan

Post by nathan »

Thank you Ven. Gavesako.
This sounds well worth looking into. I have had a lot of tips recently about people and places to look into in the North and N. East. I will definitely be focusing a lot of attention on this area. I will definitely try to get in touch with Ajahn Sudhiro and his fellows as well.
:smile:
nathan

Post by nathan »

Ok, I should arrive in Bangkok within ten to 14 days to actively begin my search for the right community.
:anjali:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Better follow the news about Thailand to make sure your plane has somewhere to land: the political turmoil seems to be increasing again with rioting exected (at least if you stay in Bangkok for a while).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
nathan

Post by nathan »

gavesako wrote:Better follow the news about Thailand to make sure your plane has somewhere to land: the political turmoil seems to be increasing again with rioting exected (at least if you stay in Bangkok for a while).
I hear that and keeping an eye on things as best as I can. I would like to spend at least a decade or two in Asia and hope to get it done before I have to worry more about the heat turning the tarmac to liquid, which is more of a concern imho. A few more degrees up and rice won't grow anymore, then it will probably be time to run like hell away. Political unrest, when does that ever end, really, anywhere?

May they get their communal act together and get on with it to their mutual well being and happiness.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

gavesako wrote:Better follow the news about Thailand...
More than thirty unbroken years here, and it's the heaviest I've seen it...as we speak...and seemingly no way out... :cookoo:
nathan

Post by nathan »

appicchato wrote:
gavesako wrote:Better follow the news about Thailand...
More than thirty unbroken years here, and it's the heaviest I've seen it...as we speak...and seemingly no way out... :cookoo:
To be fair, it is about as heavy as I have seen it here in the west too. So we are increasingly all on the same page anyways. If we can avoid ww3 we are breaking even.

I'll consider flying into Chiang Mai, or perhaps even Malaysia and taking a land route into Thailand.
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Nathan,
I am following your posting very closely as I hope to also hope go forth at one point in life when the conditions are ripe, in the Thai tradition, I on the other hand have a slight afinity towards Ajahn Anan teachings, though I haven't met him or even been in Thailand! I do hope go and visit Wat Marp Jan sometime this year for retreat.

All the best on this amazing journey you are about take!
May you be in association of Noble spiritual friends who can guide you along the Path!
May your aspirations be fulfilled this lifetime! :anjali:

kind regards,
fijiNut
nathan

Post by nathan »

fijiNut wrote:Nathan,
I am following your posting very closely as I hope to also hope go forth at one point in life when the conditions are ripe, in the Thai tradition, I on the other hand have a slight afinity towards Ajahn Anan teachings, though I haven't met him or even been in Thailand! I do hope go and visit Wat Marp Jan sometime this year for retreat.

All the best on this amazing journey you are about take!
May you be in association of Noble spiritual friends who can guide you along the Path!
May your aspirations be fulfilled this lifetime! :anjali:

kind regards,
fijiNut
Thanks FijiNut. All the best with your plans, I suggest you prepare well in the interim by conforming your habits and lifestyle as much as possible to the vinaya standards. I've been fortunate in many regards. For one thing I have a solid meditation practice and while I do hope to find a good community with excellent Dhamma/Vinaya I am probably going to be less dependent than others may be for meditation teachings. Hopefully I can get some solid Abhidhamma training out there and a lot of good experience on the ground. I'm really looking forward to it as I haven't yet been overseas. I realize it is a tricky time to go so things are all kind of tentative.

One snag is that a monastery here in Canada, my home country, has lost three stewards all at once just recently so I sent them a message telling them that I would be willing to stand in until they could find suitable replacements. No word back yet but I expect to hear soon if they would like me to help out.

I will do everything I can to stay in touch here in this thread or via pms and email so feel free to pm with email if you want to be included in the news loop or just monitor this thread for whatever news I can put online. I think we could all use more info on ordaining overseas as the situation is constantly changing and although I have been given many good leads it is very difficult to know what kind of people and communities you are dealing with until you are actually there. That's why I decided not to make any ordination arrangements in advance. Ten years ago when I first decided to commit to this course of action I was in favor of ordaining in the west if possible, at this point I would like to live the bhikkhu's 'homeless' lifestyle as fully as possible and I think that really requires relocating to one of the traditional host cultures. Here, homeless people are mistreated and disrespected no matter why they are on the streets, certainly they are unlikely to be fed much of anything worth eating. So, here goes...

metta & upekkha
nathan