Pali Canon

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rick

Pali Canon

Post by rick »

Hello all---I have a question that may or may not seem strange to you. I have the Long, Middle, Connected and Numerical Discourses and have read the Long and Middle, and then it occured to me, should they be read in any particular order? This is important to me, as I've been a practicing Buddhist for about two years and want to do what is proper. I may also add that follow the Mahayana tradition, however, the Pali Canon is an integral part of my studies. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you---In Peace---Rick
Cittasanto

Re: Pali Canon

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi I had this question some time ago and the responces I recieved were pretty standard
personal preferance really but dont remember off hand the order I think if you look on Access to Insight at the Pali Cannon the order is as the colections are presented?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Rick,

I'm in the process of going Samyutta > Majjhima > Digha

The reason for this order was that I've read (I think it was Ajahn Sujato who mentioned this) that generally speaking, textual studies show that the material of the Samyutta Nikaya is actually amongst the oldest of the Pali Canon, whereas the Digha Nikaya tends to be closer to the other end of the spectrum.

The Samyutta and Majjhima are great but for different reasons. I get the feeling after reading the Samyutta, you've really read just about all the teachings you'll need to read, whereas the Majjhima is a little better at contextualising them and is less repetitive, both of which make it an easier read.

However you approach it, I'd recommend you put the Digha last. It's very wordy.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
rick

Post by rick »

Thank you very much, Retro. Seems that I've gone backwards from what you have said, but nonetheless have benefitted tremendously. I understand that Bhikku Bhodi is translating another part of the Pali Canon, is that correct??---In Peace---Rick
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Rick,

Bhikkhu Bodhi has already translated part of the Anguttara Nikaya and I think I heard somewhere he's working on the rest of it? I might be interpreting that wrongly though, so treat it purely as rumour for now.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:Bhikkhu Bodhi has already translated part of the Anguttara Nikaya and I think I heard somewhere he's working on the rest of it? I might be interpreting that wrongly though, so treat it purely as rumour for now.
Yes, I understand it's nearly close to completion.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
stuka

Post by stuka »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:Bhikkhu Bodhi has already translated part of the Anguttara Nikaya and I think I heard somewhere he's working on the rest of it? I might be interpreting that wrongly though, so treat it purely as rumour for now.
Yes, I understand it's nearly close to completion.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Exellent!
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

alright, another reason to spend money!! :mrgreen:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
rick

Post by rick »

Yes, that has triggered something in the dim recesses of my mind, that is the Nikaya he is working on, thank you.--Rick
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Actually, for me it's a good way to save money, as I was toying with ordering Bhikkhu Bodhi's partial anthology of the AN... no need to now. I understand it's actually quite a long Nikaya in terms of wordcount, does anyone know for sure?

Metta,
rick

Post by rick »

I've gotten the Numerical Discourses through Amazon, and they're part of this particular Nikaya, no? By the way, have purchased all the Pali Canon books I have through Amazon, get a great discount and free shipping. That helps when you are on Social Security and every cent counts.---In Peace--Rick Happy New Year to all!!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

According to a note at Access, Bhante Bodhi says it contains around 2300 suttas; his translation of the SN has about 2900, so this new one will be a fat tome, but not quite as plump as the SN.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:I understand it's actually quite a long Nikaya in terms of wordcount, does anyone know for sure?
Why, of course we do! You mean to tell us you've never bothered to count how many words there are in the four Nikayas!? What have been doing since you became a Buddhist?

Seriously though, I’ve never done a word count, but the Pali text files on my computer are of the following sizes:

Vinaya Pitaka 3.9 MB

Sutta Pitaka:

- Digha Nikaya 1.4 MB
- Majjhima Nikaya 2.3 MB
- Samyutta Nikaya 2.5 MB
- Anguttara Nikaya 2.9 MB
- Khuddaka Nikaya 6.6 MB

Abhidhamma Pitaka 8.1 MB

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The note over at Access also pointed out the AN has many suttas that differ only by one word, yet are counted as differing suttas. Another person estimated that AN had 1800 or so suttas. So I guess it depends on where you draw the line.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
rick

Post by rick »

That certainly is alot to read and study. One of my favourites I've recently read and use for meditation is from the Majjhima Nikaya--the Bhaddekaratta Sutta. Of all that I have studied concerning our mortality, this beautiful Sutta strikes home the best, a wonderful way to help me realize my limited existence in this lifetime.--In Peace--Rick