Buddhism for Tough Guys

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Bodhisurfer

Re: Buddhism for Tough Guys

Post by Bodhisurfer »

Sanghamitta wrote:I hope that you are right Tilt. I suspect that you may not be.
Or it might simply be humour that doesnt travel...
This side of the Atlantic just the use of the word " dude" means that many readers assume that the user has to use their forefinger to read.
I'm in Cornwall the surfing capital of the Uk. the use of 'Dude' is compulsory around these parts :smile:

Welcome Gerry :namaste: The world needs 'Tough Guys' -and gals for that matter :thumbsup:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Bodhisurfer wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:I hope that you are right Tilt. I suspect that you may not be.
Or it might simply be humour that doesnt travel...
This side of the Atlantic just the use of the word " dude" means that many readers assume that the user has to use their forefinger to read.
I'm in Cornwall the surfing capital of the Uk. the use of 'Dude' is compulsory around these parts :smile:

Welcome Gerry :namaste: The world needs 'Tough Guys' -and gals for that matter :thumbsup:
Yes.....rather proves my point.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

buddhismfordudes wrote: My mission for the rest of my life is to make the Dhamma accessible to the average "guy" who lives in the real world. To this end, I wrote "Buddhism for Dudes" (available through The Kindle Store and amazon.com) and am writing a blog called "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at http://www.buddhismfordudes.blog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I hardly think I have all the answers, but I am a serious Buddhist practitioner and have reaped the benefits of my practice, particularly in the professional world: I am in human services and have provided case management to homeless people and guys being released from prison for many years. Buddhism, I believe, is about embracing life rather than hiding from elements of life that takes us out of our comfort zones.

A quote from "BFD": "Compassion is not about freeing the mosquito in your bedroom. It's about getting sh*t on your hands when you reach into the gutter to try to pull someone out."
This sounds like an excellent idea. Most of the people I have met at various buddhist functions and organiizations over the past 15+ years seem to have been over educated white middle class and up and college / high school students either writing papers or having a fling. I would love to see that change. Good luck on your mission and welcome :smile:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Sanghamitta wrote:Yes.....rather proves my point.
Probably not.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

It certainly proves my point that humour doesnt always travel.

Bhikku Bodhi.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Gerry. :hello:

I see you are quickly becoming familiar with some of the personalities we have here. :D
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Yup....... lots of tough guys.

Bhikku Bodhi.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Lots who aren't.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
altar

Post by altar »

i have been freeing the flies in our house, especially when they pang on the windows...............
but the idea still intrigues me...

buddhism for all.
Planet_Mu

Post by Planet_Mu »

Great stuff! Welcome. :anjali:
tilted_wheel

Post by tilted_wheel »

Sanghamitta wrote:Yup....... lots of tough guys.
liberally seasoned with condescending (but surely compassionate) sarcasm
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I can't get the link for the BFD blog to work. Anyone else having this problem?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer »

Monkey Mind wrote:I can't get the link for the BFD blog to work. Anyone else having this problem?
it worked the other week but i cant make it work now either
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
alan

Post by alan »

I don't think "tough" guys can ever get the Dhamma. They seem mutually incompatible.
manas

Post by manas »

Welcome, buddhismfordudes.

I've seen some baffling things in the Buddhist world, so I can relate to your mosquito analogy. There was one Buddhist center i visited where there was a sign up in the bathroom, reading: 'please close the lid of the toilet shut, to prevent insects from drowning'. A very nice thought, yes. But then I noticed the meat consumption at that place (bought and prepared by the laypeople there)...it was considerable. But since they were not the slaughterers, it did not seem to concern them...the 'it's not my kamma' justification. Ok...so we should care for insects drowning in the toilet, but not for mammals being totured and brutally butchered in slaughterhouses...hmm. If your point is that compassion involves going out of our way, inconveniencing ourselves a bit, for the sake of helping others, rather than doing only what is relatively easy and convenient, just so we can get a warm buzz that we are 'compassionate' after all - then I see your point, and I like the analogy.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.