British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Post by Ben »

Troubled British singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her flat in north London, police said. She was 27 years old.

The soul singer struggled with drink and drug addictions. Her death is being treated as unexplained.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/peop ... z1SzB5dklE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vale, Amy.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Re: British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Post by bodom »

A sad situation. May she have a favorable rebirth and may her family and friends get through this tough time.

:heart:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Unfortunately, I only ever encountered the classically self-destructive aspect of her life. I'm sure there was a lot more...

What is it with age 27?
Robert Johnson, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, ...

Winehouse is the latest addition to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Such a waste. All very sad.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
plwk

Post by plwk »

Anicca, dukkha, anatta...May she encounter Dhamma and attain liberation :anjali:
David2

Post by David2 »

It seems like the 20s are a critical age...
You either abandon bad habits (like drug taking) or you don't...
If you don't it is very dangerous that your bad habits intensify... which will increase the probability of death.
So encountering the teachings of the Dhamma in your 20s is perfect timing I guess.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

She'd been one of the living dead for a few years now... for her to be biologically dead too seems perfectly normal.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

I had been thinking along the same lines, Retro.
Death-wish and all that...someone didn't want to improve or modify, focus or re-build....

on a path to self-destruction, if ever there was such a case....

My first thoughts when hearing the news were "I knew it.... just a matter of when...."

Sadly, no :jawdrop: there.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David2

Post by David2 »

Fede wrote: My first thoughts when hearing the news were "I knew it.... just a matter of when...."
Well, there is always the chance that even the most miserable person changes his lifestyle and gets to the bright side of life.
Currently, I am reading the autobiography by Ven. Rahula.

Like Amy Winehouse, he took many drugs and also committed small crimes when he was young... then, he took a meditation course, changed his life, and became a buddhist monk in the end. :)
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

By god she could sing though.

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

It is sad. She grew up in my neighborhood. I wasn't very interested in her, but always hoped she would recover from addiction.
manas

Post by manas »

I would not want to judge Winehouse's level of wakefulness during her troubled life. We should be very careful not to look at people like her and assume that 'we are practising dhamma, and she wasn't'. What, did we see inside her heart, that we can make such judgements? Ok, she did drugs...but if we do judgement, and spiritual pride, that's hardly very enlightened either.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
adosa

Post by adosa »

manasikara wrote:I would not want to judge Winehouse's level of wakefulness during her troubled life. We should be very careful not to look at people like her and assume that 'we are practising dhamma, and she wasn't'. What, did we see inside her heart, that we can make such judgements? Ok, she did drugs...but if we do judgement, and spiritual pride, that's hardly very enlightened either.

"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
bukowski

Post by bukowski »

Hi all. I work with people with drug addiction issues. It's a very complicated area, with many individual causes, and many routes to recovery. A large number of people do recover from their addiction issues, but it seems to be a chronically relapsing condition, and requires a change of life and lifestyle to fully recover.

A number of my clients have lost their lives through this condition. Many have recovered against the odds and the expectations of those around them.

A death like this is always sad, and deserves our compassion.

Metta, bukowski.
Tex

Post by Tex »

A shame, indeed.

May her next life be filled with more peace than this one was.

:buddha2:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus