Books on jhana

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Modus.Ponens

Books on jhana

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I would like to ask for references for books (online or not) dealing with the jhanas as thaught by the Buddha (ie, with 5 senses not shut down; please don't debate wether this is the correct jhana or not, here). Some small descriptions would be apreciated. The books don't necessarily have to be just about jhana, but should cover this topic with some depth.

I already have Ayya Khema's "Who is my self?".

Thank you in advance :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Re: Books on jhana

Post by tiltbillings »

Not a practice book, but a book about jhana: THE EXPERIENCE OF SAMADHI by Richard Shankman. It does look at the controvesy of the sutta vs commentarial notions. It has interviews with various teachers. it may or may not be of interest. It can be gotten for under $10.00 on Amazon.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Chapter 10 wrote: The First Jhana

When you enter the first jhana you are still in touch with your physical senses. Your eyes are closed but you can still hear, smell, feel, and taste. This is one definite indication of the first jhana, as opposed to others.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Moggalana wrote:Image
Chapter 10 wrote: The First Jhana

When you enter the first jhana you are still in touch with your physical senses. Your eyes are closed but you can still hear, smell, feel, and taste. This is one definite indication of the first jhana, as opposed to others.
:goodpost: :thumbsup:

I also highly second tilt's recommendation. Richard Shankman's The Experience of Samadhi is excellent.

It can be read in part here:
http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... _ZzFgJ1AwC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here also is Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English which can also be read in part here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=UGzTsK ... milarbooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Mindfulness, bliss, and beyond -- Ajahn Brahm

I didn't know about "Beyond minfulness in plain English". I read "Minfulness in plain English" a few weeks ago (same author) and that was a very good book.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Co sign "Beyond Mindfulness". Excellent book.
manas

Post by manas »

Ytrog wrote:Mindfulness, bliss, and beyond -- Ajahn Brahm

I didn't know about "Beyond minfulness in plain English". I read "Minfulness in plain English" a few weeks ago (same author) and that was a very good book.
Hi Ytrog,
I think the OP specifically called for a book which doesn't claim that the five senses are 'shut down' in first Jhana, which kind of rules out Ven. Ajahn Brahm's (otherwise very helpful) book.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
ground

Post by ground »

Ytrog wrote:Mindfulness, bliss, and beyond -- Ajahn Brahm
Out of curiosity because it was mentioned here by a user in an interesting context I bought it. After having read it I am concluding that while it may be inspiring as to "how to approach concentration" the way the author presents his view/interpretations and the way he tries to support his view/interpretations with sutta references does not appear very convincing. Since this forum is called "suttanta method" the mention of this book may be misplaced here.

Kind regards
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I've only gotten near the 1st Jhana so far, but I found "Focused and Fearless" by Shalia Catherine to be useful. It teaches all of the related concepts ( names and descriptions of various states of mind, etc ) without dumbing things done, yet is very clear. She offers loads of exercises, but the basic technique is to do anapanasati with the difference ( from insight practice ) of letting go of distractions as opposed to being aware of them and watching them pass.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you for your sugestions, but please pay atention to the original post, where I asked for books on jhana as described in the suttas, ie, with the 5 senses not unactive.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Thank you for your sugestions, but please pay atention to the original post, where I asked for books on jhana as described in the suttas, ie, with the 5 senses not unactive.
You'll probably enjoy reading this. I'm not sure if you'd seen that it was recently submitted to the Early Buddhism subforum.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]