other Buddhist traditions on DW?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Mawkish1983

Re: other Buddhist traditions on DW?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Fede wrote:Just my nickel.
Can you claim it back on expenses? :)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I think its good to have seperate websites

Im a member here and also at ZFI, buddhaforum and dharmawheel

The Mahayana sites i post in have always been very friendly and helpful, and i feel the same for mahayana followers who post here

I think this is because there is an understanding that each site is directed towards a particular tradition and understanding

So if one wants to discuss Theravada they can post here, if they want to discuss mahayana they can try the new site and so on for Zen etc

This way there is mutual respect for each other and friendly chat without any spats occuring based on a difference of views on the Buddhadhamma since one accepts what each site is geared towards and so its going to have a particular stance on certain things

I think this is the best way to go

Metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi clw
your post gave me a thought
it is a shame that there isn't a Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and Zen wheel, with a connected thread which each forum could converse with each other in a sort of inter-tradition dialogue don't think this would be possible in a technical sense without it being like E-sangha or another multi-traditional forum, but it would be a nice development, although currently not really possible.
clw_uk wrote:I think its good to have seperate websites

Im a member here and also at ZFI, buddhaforum and dharmawheel

The Mahayana sites i post in have always been very friendly and helpful, and i feel the same for mahayana followers who post here

I think this is because there is an understanding that each site is directed towards a particular tradition and understanding

So if one wants to discuss Theravada they can post here, if they want to discuss mahayana they can try the new site and so on for Zen etc

This way there is mutual respect for each other and friendly chat without any spats occuring based on a difference of views on the Buddhadhamma since one accepts what each site is geared towards and so its going to have a particular stance on certain things

I think this is the best way to go

Metta
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

retrofuturist wrote: Sadly it sounds like there's a bit of misinformation floating around the place... it's good to separate the facts from the fiction.
Yes, and when people are forced to be silent about these things, no misinformation can get corrected. Silence breeds suspicion.
Fede wrote: Isn't it about time we stopped indulging in tittle-tattle and gossip and just dealt with e-sangha when posting on e-sangha, and elsewhere when dealing with elsewhere?
I'd love to, but E-Sangha doesn't allow any discussions of this type on their website therefore I have no way of finding out what happened there. I didn't realize that the information black-out would extend to this website as well. Not many views will be allowed to be expressed if the same small group of people moderate every Buddhist forum on the net. How about some new blood for a change?

Anyway, whatever. Thanks for the info about dharmawheel.net. I'll check it out.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Ravi

Its not so much a blackout. Some of us don't want to make public statements about the events late last year prior to the establishment of Dhamma Wheel. For a variety of reasons a lot of people came away from e-Sangha hurt, there is a concern that any discussion of past events will expose old wounds and some members will engage in wrong speech. Some of our members, such as Fede, have indicated they do not want to go over old ground. For them discussion of past perceived wrongs does not do anything for their practice and their understnding of the Dhamma.
I hope that helps.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Ravi,
Ravi wrote:I didn't realize that the information black-out would extend to this website as well. Not many views will be allowed to be expressed if the same small group of people moderate every Buddhist forum on the net. How about some new blood for a change?
I understand your sentiments. But really, the sense of openness on this Dhammawheel board is pretty good. It's just that E-Sangha is a touchy issue, involving longstanding friendships, different philosophies of board management, and so on. So the mods here are trying to be careful. Most of us don't really know all the stuff that went on, and I'm not sure it's any of our business.

You can find some E-Sangha discussion at zenforuminternational.org. Lots of folks here and there also still post at E-Sangha and support it. No grand conspiracy that I'm aware of. Just different strokes for different folks. Hope you can make the most of all the good stuff over here.

Metta
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jechbi wrote:Lots of folks here and there also still post at E-Sangha and support it. No grand conspiracy that I'm aware of. Just different strokes for different folks. Hope you can make the most of all the good stuff over here.

Metta
:smile:
That's exactly right. I encourage our members to continue reading and posting at e-Sangha if it is of benefit to their practice. But if membership at e-Sangha, and for that matter Dhamma Wheel, is not of benefit then I would encourage that person to concentrate on those things that will be of benefit.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ben wrote:discussion of past perceived wrongs does not do anything for their practice and their understnding of the Dhamma.
Agreed
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Fede wrote:Render to Ceasar that which is Ceasar's.....
If people always thought like that and deferred to authority, America would still be part of England, black people would still be riding in the back of the bus, and the Nazis would still control Europe.

I'm all for Right Speech, but forum moderators who discriminate against certain traditions are not engaging in Right Speech and should be held accountable as well. Double standards hurt the Dharma.

Anyway, best of luck with your Theravada forum. Bye.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ravi wrote:Bye.
'Can't please all of the people all of the time'... :coffee:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ravi wrote:Anyway, best of luck with your Theravada forum. Bye.
do we need luck?
I don't think so it working fine how it is
but yeah cant please everyone, particularly if they want things to be the way they think it should be for them.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

I stayed away from E-Sangha for a while, it's true, because of the situations that arose, and (without meaning to sound overly sycophantic) out of respect and loyalty to those embroiled in the thick of it.
But I realised there was an amount of "biting nose to spite face" and that it was a mutual loss.
I was losing out on discussions with good friends I had 'met' there, and missing out on valuable Dharma-lessons; and I received humbling e-mails telling me I was missed.
(That made me laugh. :roll:
But it was sweet of them, nonetheless.)

Now I post there, but keep it neutral.
It's not difficult.
I'm enough of a Dhamma-Doofus to not put my foot in it too often!! :tongue:
appichatto wrote:'Can't please all of the people all of the time'...
Just as I learnt, above: If you harbour separatism and resentment, it will show.
Shame.
But it's choices, as usual...... :namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;