External satipatthana

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
phil

External satipatthana

Post by phil »

In his book on satipatthana, Ven. Anaalayo devotes a fair bit of attention to external satipatthana,
recommending the interpretation that one should make inferences about others' mind states by observing their habitual comportment. He says this could help keep satipatthana from being too self-centered.

I find it a bit surprising. Interesting to make such guesses about the cittas at work in people around us, but sounds more like a distraction than a support for satipatthana. And as for encouraging extroversion as a balance for too much introversion, as he does, sounds a bit odd. (i guess he is using a stricter definition of extroverted, to mean turning towards others rather than the outgoing, talkative image of extrovrted we usually have.

Any thoughts? Do you practice external satipatthana in this way?
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
tiltbillings

Re: External satipatthana

Post by tiltbillings »

See

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
phil

Post by phil »

tiltbillings wrote:See

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Tiltbilling, I can see others have also been perplexed by the interpretation the Venerable gives most weight to.
In his talk on MN10, Bhikkhu Bodhi also goes with this interpretation....
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

phil wrote:Do you practice external satipatthana in this way?
I practice in this way and find it enormous helpful. One can understand better other people and so oneself.

Sedaka Sutta
ground

Post by ground »

No, i.e. if then only incidentally. Generally I suspect this kind of volitional practice to be cultivation of arbitrary imputations. So I prefer to refrain from this.

I think I prefer the non-conventional interpretation of "external satipatthana" as an objectivying analysis of experience from an observing perspective.
In contrast to this "internal satipatthana" then means a non-objectivying analysis of experience from an experiencing perspective.

Kind regards
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alexei wrote:
I practice in this way and find it enormous helpful. One can understand better other people and so oneself.

Sedaka Sutta
As I pointed out in the above link, it certainly can be practiced that way quite literally and meaningfully. It is not only a wisdom practice, but also a compassion practice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
phil

Post by phil »

tiltbillings wrote:
Alexei wrote:

Sedaka Sutta
As I pointed out in the above link, it certainly can be practiced that way quite literally and meaningfully. It is not only a wisdom practice, but also a compassion practice.
I can certainly see it as a compassion practice and a wise way to approach others. For example, we know that not showing aversion towards others' behaviour is a form of dana, the gift of freedom from fear. Being tuned into what others' expressions indicate about their mindstates will help there.

I also see now that there is an active thread related to this topic in the meditation corner, I should read more thoroughly....
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

There's a thread about the term "bahiddhā":
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
phil

Post by phil »

Dmytro wrote:Hi,

There's a thread about the term "bahiddhā":
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
Thanks Dmytro, interesting.
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)