Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
pedro1985

Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

Post by pedro1985 »

Simple question: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

I'll start.
I mostly eat just brown rice or spagetti with vegetable without adding any saus or spice to it. It might taste very boring, but it has good nutrition.
Kim OHara

Re: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

Post by Kim OHara »

I'll continue:
I try to have both, since good nutrition doesn't have to be boring and there's no particular value in making your food boring.
Pasta and vegetable sauce ... with a touch of chili or garlic or coriander. Why not?

:namaste:
Kim
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Both.
Dont confuse the middle way with puritanism.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sanghamitta wrote:Both.
Dont confuse the middle way with puritanism.
You're a party-pooper, Valerie!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
ground

Post by ground »

My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I enjoy taking a multivitamin, which means I tend only to eat for calories and for gastronomic comfort (due to a truncated digestive tract).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

TMingyur wrote:My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards
Presumably sackcloth and ashes are optional.
It reminds me of the British comedy series Blackadder where the Witchfinder General and his wife are worried about the corrupting influence of turnips.

Bhikku Bodhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Actually, the Buddha was sort of the party-pooper:
We will eat in moderation. Reflecting wisely we will not eat for fun, for amusement or for physical attractiveness but only for the maintenance and continuance of this body, for allaying the discomfort of hunger, for assisting in living the holy life and with the thought “I will end the old desires and not give rise to new ones and thus be healthy, blameless and live in comfort” ’ (M.I,273)
Anagamis (non-returners) and Arahants have eliminated all sense desires and have no problem with eating just for sustenance.

I like sweets occasionally (but not as much as my younger days) and spicy foods.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

At home it is almost all for nutrition. It is while visiting my parents home that I relish sweet foods, although less than before. It is a long standing habit.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I eat one meal a day, so I have to pay attention to whether or not my meal has a lot of nutritive value and enough calories to sustain me.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
ground

Post by ground »

Sanghamitta wrote:
TMingyur wrote:My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards
It reminds me of the British comedy series Blackadder where the Witchfinder General and his wife are worried about the corrupting influence of turnips.
Thanks for being so respectful as to other's experiences.

kind regards
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ah I see. You prefer the sauce of self righteousness to curry.

Ajahn Sumedho " When eating I try to avoid being overwhelmed by attraction or aversion or indifference. I try to maintain a mind of gratitude. Even when eating a vegetarian meal things have died for me to live ".
TMingyur wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:

Kind regards
Thanks for being so respectful as to other's experiences.

kind regards

Bhikku Bodhi.
ground

Post by ground »

Sanghamitta wrote:Ah I see. You prefer the sauce of self righteousness to curry.
You seem to have misunderstood. To rely on one's experience I would not consider to be "self righteousness". You just make an experience and say "This is my experience ... and that are the conclusions I draw on the basis of my experience ..."

There is not dictate implied that others should follow one's conclusions because others may have different experiences.

Kind regards
altar

Post by altar »

one of the most delectable suttas, i recall a young monk in england posted on e'sangha, the buddha recommends ghee and honey.