Monk uses vehicle?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
whynotme

Monk uses vehicle?

Post by whynotme »

Dear all,

If I remember correctly, there is a rule doesn't allow monks to use vehicles. If it is true, then how could monks travel great distance?

Regards.
Please stop following me
Bodhisurfer

Re: Monk uses vehicle?

Post by Bodhisurfer »

whynotme wrote:Dear all,

If I remember correctly, there is a rule doesn't allow monks to use vehicles. If it is true, then how could monks travel great distance?

Regards.
I dont know that there is such a rule in the Vinaya, perhaps one of the monks on here would know more.
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
plwk

Post by plwk »

Here's one answer:
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... qmonks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FAQ. 12: Are monks allowed to own and/or drive vehicles? Is this allowed by the Vinaya? If it does not go against the Vinaya, would it still be socially acceptable, given the monk's spiritual status in society?
A: There is a specific rule against bhikkhus owning vehicles.
Obviously, 'motor vehicles' were not available in the Buddha's time and most travel would have been on foot. However, there was the case:
...when the group-of-six bhikkhus went in a vehicle yoked with cows and bulls, they were criticized by the lay people. The Buddha then established a fault of Wrong-doing for a bhikkhu to travel in a vehicle; later illness was exempted from this guideline...
Travelling in a vehicle in the Buddha's time was an extravagance.
A strict application of this training in Thailand is not allowing bhikkhus to drive or own vehicles, and (officially) not to ride on motorcycles.
Bhikkhus were allowed to use ferry boats, etc. (In Thailand, bhikkhus from riverside monasteries will go on alms round by boat.)
I found these too... 1 2 3
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Buddhist Monastic Discipline
There are rules forbidding a bhikkhu from riding in a vehicle unless he is ill, in which case he may ride in a handcart or a cart yoked with a bull. In modern times, ill is interpreted here as meaning too weak to reach one's destination on foot in the time available, and the allowance for a cart yoked with a bull is extended to cover motorized vehicles such as automobiles, airplanes, and trucks, but not to motorcycles or bicycles, as the riding position in the latter cases is more like riding on an animal's back. There is also a rule allowing a bhikkhu to ride in a sedan-chair, although the origin story to that rule suggests that the allowance is intended specifically for a bhikkhu too ill to ride in a vehicle. In discussing these rules, the Commentary states that the sedan-chair may be carried by women or men, and the vehicle may be driven by a woman or a man (although see the discussion under Pc 67 in BMC1). Even then, though, the Commentary does not extend permission for the bhikkhu to drive the vehicle himself. Thus it is improper for a bhikkhu to drive a motorized vehicle of any sort.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Is there a difference if the vehicle is driven solely within the sima boundary?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Bhante, all,

what about monks who use tractors and slashers solely on monastery land to make the area safe against bushfires and against deadly snakes?

with metta and respect,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I'm extremely grateful that Bhikkus such as Ven Pesala use modern interpretations of such rules, otherwise I would never have encountered the Dhamma...

:anjali:
Mike
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

cooran wrote:Hello Bhante, all,

what about monks who use tractors and slashers solely on monastery land to make the area safe against bushfires and against deadly snakes?

with metta and respect,
Chris
That's actually a similar scenario to the one I had in mind. :smile:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Eh, they aren't allowed to damage plants, so I can't imagine that they go on tractors and slashers to cut these out.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am no Vinaya expert, so I just quoted Ajahn Thanissaro on this. My opinion is that driving motorised vehicles is, in general, unsuitable for monks, and being within the Sima or not would have nothing to do with it. However, the Vinaya rule is, I believe, more to do with compassion for the animals used to pull vehicles, so driving or riding an animal is unsuitable. That principle doesn't apply to driving a motorised vehicle.

While in Chithurst, as not everyone had a driving license and there were only a few overworked Anagarikas, I drove a tractor mostly to haul firewood back from the forest. I also drove a car sometimes when staying in other monasteries, for example, when the Sangha were invited from London to Liverpool for a Kathina ceremony. It was cheaper and more feasible to hire a car for the weekend than to pay for four return train tickets to travel up on Saturday and back on a Sunday.

I haven't updated my old format driver's license, and haven't driven for many years. I have no plans to do so in the future. However, if circumstances make it impractical not to drive, I don't see it as a big issue. Each case should be considered on its merits.

The general advice is to follow the standard of the community in which one lives, and not to criticise until one has walked a 1,000 miles in another person's shoes.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Bhante for your clarification.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Dear Bhante,

Thanks for the information. The two monks at Bodhi Tree forest Monastery near Lismore use a tractor and slasher to cut the grass. Most lay people don’t have the knowledge/skills to do this nowadays, and those that do live too far away.

With metta and respect,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

cooran wrote:Dear Bhante,

Thanks for the information. The two monks at Bodhi Tree forest Monastery near Lismore use a tractor and slasher to cut the grass. Most lay people don’t have the knowledge/skills to do this nowadays, and those that do live too far away.

With metta and respect,
Chris
And very expensive to get a contractor to do it, as well!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
buddhis8

Post by buddhis8 »

Yes, this rule seems to apply more in the Theravada tradition as monks are allowed to drive here in Taiwan. At Amaravati monastery in the UK the monks usually have a lay or Anagarika chauffeur them.