Buddhism for Tough Guys

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
buddhismfordudes

Buddhism for Tough Guys

Post by buddhismfordudes »

Hi - I'm Gerry Stribling from Louisville, KY, and have been a practicing Theravada Buddhist for nine years. I learned the Dhamma from monks during two summers I spent volunteering in Sri Lanka. I just turned 60 and am a former U.S. Marine and something of an adventurer. My mission for the rest of my life is to make the Dhamma accessible to the average "guy" who lives in the real world. To this end, I wrote "Buddhism for Dudes" (available through The Kindle Store and amazon.com) and am writing a blog called "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at http://www.buddhismfordudes.blog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I hardly think I have all the answers, but I am a serious Buddhist practitioner and have reaped the benefits of my practice, particularly in the professional world: I am in human services and have provided case management to homeless people and guys being released from prison for many years. Buddhism, I believe, is about embracing life rather than hiding from elements of life that takes us out of our comfort zones.

A quote from "BFD": "Compassion is not about freeing the mosquito in your bedroom. It's about getting sh*t on your hands when you reach into the gutter to try to pull someone out."
Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes"
Blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at buddhismfordudes.blog.com
bodom

Re: Buddhism for Tough Guys

Post by bodom »

Welcome Gerry!
"Compassion is not about freeing the mosquito in your bedroom. It's about getting sh*t on your hands when you reach into the gutter to try to pull someone out."
I like it. :thumbsup:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote: I like it. :thumbsup:
Me too.

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

I don't consider myself a "tough guy" but I did do martial arts earlier in my life and was in law enforcement.

Here is a domain that I have re-direct to a Dhamma Wiki page you may be interested in: http://www.zenpistol.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still occasionally go to the shooting range.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

:thumbsup:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ah, finally! Lots of tough stuff in the suttas.
"May nothing remain but skin and sinews and bones; may flesh and blood dry up in the body! Not before having achieved what can be achieved by manly strength, manly energy, manly exertion shall my energy subside!"

— MN 70
"As for the course of action that is unpleasant to do but that, when done, leads to what is profitable, it's in light of this course of action that one may be known — in terms of manly stamina, manly persistence, manly effort — as a fool or a wise person. For a fool doesn't reflect, 'Even though this course of action is unpleasant to do, still when it is done it leads to what is profitable.' So he doesn't do it, and thus the non-doing of that course of action leads to what is unprofitable for him. But a wise person reflects, 'Even though this course of action is unpleasant to do, still when it is done it leads to what is profitable.' So he does it, and thus the doing of that course of action leads to what is profitable for him.

"As for the course of action that is pleasant to do but that, when done, leads to what is unprofitable, it's in light of this course of action that one may be known — in terms of manly stamina, manly persistence, manly effort — as a fool or a wise person. For a fool doesn't reflect, 'Even though this course of action is pleasant to do, still when it is done it leads to what is unprofitable.' So he does it, and thus the doing of that course of action leads to what is unprofitable for him. But a wise person reflects, 'Even though this course of action is pleasant to do, still when it is done it leads to what is unprofitable.' So he doesn't do it, and thus the non-doing of that course of action leads to what is profitable for him."

Search manly strength on http://www.accesstoinsight.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you get quite a lot.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Welcome tough guy :guns:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Gerry and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
David2

Post by David2 »

Hi Gerry!
It's about getting sh*t on your hands when you reach into the gutter to try to pull someone out."
I understand and agree with this part of the quote.
Compassion is not about freeing the mosquito in your bedroom.
I disagree with this part of the quote.
Freeing a mosquito can also be a compassionate action. Why do you think it is not about compassion?
Don't be so tough to neglect baby steps. :tongue:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

buddhismfordudes wrote:Hi - I'm Gerry Stribling from Louisville, KY, and have been a practicing Theravada Buddhist for nine years. I learned the Dhamma from monks during two summers I spent volunteering in Sri Lanka. I just turned 60 and am a former U.S. Marine and something of an adventurer. My mission for the rest of my life is to make the Dhamma accessible to the average "guy" who lives in the real world. To this end, I wrote "Buddhism for Dudes" (available through The Kindle Store and amazon.com) and am writing a blog called "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at http://www.buddhismfordudes.blog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I hardly think I have all the answers, but I am a serious Buddhist practitioner and have reaped the benefits of my practice, particularly in the professional world: I am in human services and have provided case management to homeless people and guys being released from prison for many years. Buddhism, I believe, is about embracing life rather than hiding from elements of life that takes us out of our comfort zones.

A quote from "BFD": "Compassion is not about freeing the mosquito in your bedroom. It's about getting sh*t on your hands when you reach into the gutter to try to pull someone out."
Gosh. Sounds terribly tiring.
Perhaps I will start a blog called Buddhism For Ladies Who Lunch And Use Oil Of Olay.
After all, all stereotypes have a right to a voice.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:
buddhismfordudes wrote: "Buddhism for Tough Guys" "
Gosh. Sounds terribly tiring.
The title sounds like a bit of self mocking humor. Geez.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I hope that you are right Tilt. I suspect that you may not be.
Or it might simply be humour that doesnt travel...
This side of the Atlantic just the use of the word " dude" means that many readers assume that the user has to use their forefinger to read.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:I hope that you are right Tilt. I suspect that you may not be.
Or it might simply be humour that doesnt travel...
This side of the Atlantic just the use of the word " dude" means that many readers assume that the user has to use their forefinger to read.
Dude here is not quite so bad, and gawd forbid I would say the word "fanny," as in fanny pack.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Hi Gerry.

I like that you attribute compassion to tough guys. For all too many men, compassion is seen as decidedly weak.

Welcome.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Greetings Gerry,

Keeping this simple... hello :hello: