other Buddhist traditions on DW?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Ravi

other Buddhist traditions on DW?

Post by Ravi »

Greetings everyone,

I too am a former E-Sangha member. I was never banned. I just don't enjoy posting there anymore.

Anyway dear DW moderators, have you considered making this forum include sub-forums for all Buddhist traditions like on E-Sangha? I like the free, friendly atmosphere of your forum. It would be great to have a forum like this which would have discussion about all Buddhist traditions as an alternative to E-Sangha because the other big Buddhist sites like Buddha Chat no longer exist or have extremely few members. It would be a tremendous gift to the world's Buddhist community.

If you could get some selfless, kind ordained moderators from all major traditions (Zen, Tibetan, Pure Land, Tendai, etc.) that could be the seed from which this forum could evolve into E-Sangha's kind-hearted twin.

I wish you all the best of luck with your new forum. Buddhists of all traditions should live together in peace, harmony, and mutual respect.

May you all experience the blessings of the Three Jewels from now until Enlightenment.

P.S. Hiya, Nonin!
cooran

Re: other Buddhist traditions on DW?

Post by cooran »

The beauty of Dhamma Wheel is that it is a safe place for Theravadins and their friends to post and discuss the Dhamma as preserved in the Pali Canon - as well, as the teachings of modern Theravada figures.

There are hundreds of boards that have attempted to go 'multi-tradition' or universalist, and they usually ended up just as a poor copy of E-sangha, and wound down into silence.

I think Dhamma Wheel would lose its uniqueness if it altered the way it is currently presented and attempted to be all things to all people.

Glad to see you here Ravi - most of us weren't banned from E=sangha either, and still post there (- but I don't recall you ever posting on E-sangha). :smile:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

(hint: visit http://dharmawheel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:(hint: visit http://dharmawheel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
original name I guess?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:(hint: visit http://dharmawheel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
original name I guess?
No, Dharma Wheel is a new forum, launched by David, Dhamma Wheel's owner, a few hours ago. It is modelled on Dhamma Wheel but is intended for discussion of the Mahayana and Vajrayana schools.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I think it has the potential to be very helpful indeed. I really hope the link between Dhammawheel and Dharmawheel is made very VERY clear.

Maybe both should include a link to each other on the index page? Made super-clear?

Just a thought :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:
original name I guess?
No, Dharma Wheel is a new forum, launched by David, Dhamma Wheel's owner, a few hours ago. It is modelled on Dhamma Wheel but is intended for discussion of the Mahayana and Vajrayana schools.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
I thought it was QE2 hadn't scrolled down to the bottom, maybe a connected room for intertradition topics? I don't know looks good
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:spy: Pretty good sleuthing around. I see you found our latest venture before we even announced it! :stirthepot:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

TheDhamma wrote:I see you found our latest venture before we even announced it!
:) I wish I was that good, but it was announced on Facebook
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Chris wrote: Glad to see you here Ravi - most of us weren't banned from E=sangha either, and still post there (- but I don't recall you ever posting on E-sangha). :smile:
I'm not using my E-Sangha screen name here. I heard that E-Sangha was banning people who posted on competing websites. I didn't want to be part of the witch hunt.
Cool! Thanks for the link Mawkish.

Hmm, a fresh, virgin, Buddhist forum...I can't wait to get my hands on her! :twothumbsup:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ravi wrote: I'm not using my E-Sangha screen name here. I heard that E-Sangha was banning people who posted on competing
What gave you that idea? A number of E-Sanga members (and moderators) post here... :spy:

Metta
Mike
Last edited by mikenz66 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:What gave you that idea? A number of E-Sanger members (and moderators) post here... :spy:
Indeed.... and some like myself even work here, whilst my E-Sangha account remains perfectly intact.

Sadly it sounds like there's a bit of misinformation floating around the place... it's good to separate the facts from the fiction.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

mikenz66 wrote:What gave you that idea?
http://esangha.110mb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, what exactly did happen in the Soto forum in E-Sangha? Or does the dark shadow of E-Sangha extend even here so no one will talk about it?

I don't see E-Sangha as entirely bad, but their inability to accept criticism and openly discuss and debate the direction of their website with their members is what I find highly suspicious.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Right Speech, people......

Render to Ceasar that which is Ceasar's.....

Isn't it about time we stopped indulging in tittle-tattle and gossip and just dealt with e-sangha when posting on e-sangha, and elsewhere when dealing with elsewhere?

It's tiresome and divisive.
I think the 4th Precept has relevance here.

Just my nickel.

(inflation, you know.)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ravi wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:What gave you that idea?
http://esangha.110mb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, what exactly did happen in the Soto forum in E-Sangha? Or does the dark shadow of E-Sangha extend even here so no one will talk about it?

I don't see E-Sangha as entirely bad, but their inability to accept criticism and openly discuss and debate the direction of their website with their members is what I find highly suspicious.
Interesting, but not exactly on topic here. :focus:

We are focusing on the Theravada here at Dhamma Wheel. Our new sister forum, http://www.DharmaWheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will focus on the Mahayana, so that may just be the best way to do the Buddhist forums. I don't know, we're still learning and growing . . . :sage: :rolleye: :ugeek: :popcorn: :reading: :namaste: :soap: :buddha1: