Discovering Theravada forum - changed settings

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Sanghamitta

Re: Discovering Theravada forum - changed settings

Post by Sanghamitta »

Good... :twothumbsup:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I'm glad that it's helping to improve the overall quality of responses in the Discovering Theravada section, but I still find it annoying that I have to wait hours, sometimes even days, to view and edit my posts. :tongue:
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jason,

Well, I suspect it's not really days... :tongue:

That said, we do have some protocols in place to ensure that anything that's neither approved or rejected after 12 hours gets addressed promptly thereafter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jason

Post by Jason »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Jason,

Well, I suspect it's not really days... :tongue:

That said, we do have some protocols in place to ensure that anything that's neither approved or rejected after 12 hours gets addressed promptly thereafter.

Metta,
OK, maybe I was exaggerating just a little. :D
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:thinking:
I understand what you are saying...and I have to accept it....after all it is a Theravada forum. so you have the perfect right to limit those that respond to a topic on that forum.
But my personal opinion is that it is a poor choice...but I have to accept it and go on from there.
:smile:
In Quietness is the beginning of all things.

When I was younger I used to think I knew all the answers. Now I would be happy to feel I could ask just one intelligent question.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Quiet Heart,
Quiet Heart wrote:But my personal opinion is that it is a poor choice...but I have to accept it and go on from there.
There are many forums here without such tight controls.

However, when beginners arrive with beginner questions, I think they're at least entitled to know that the responses they're getting represents some aspect of the Theravada tradition.

Before we had these controls, people would jump in with unsubstantiated personal opinions, Mahayana doctrine, off-topic ramblings and all manner of things irrelevant to the concept of "discovering Theravada". Before you knew it, topics were derailed, and the person posing the question was left scratching their head.

:shrug:

When it left them scratching their head, the forum had failed to fulfil its purpose. The changed settings support Discovering Theravada's intended purpose.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."