what and Where is Nibbana?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Post Reply
shoel
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm
Contact:

what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:55 am

Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 18196
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:56 am

Greetings Shoel,

To clarify, you're interested in nibbana as explained in Abhidhamma?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

plwk
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by plwk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 am

http://www.palikanon.com/english/sangaha/chapter_6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nibbāna however is termed supramundane, and is to be realized by the wisdom of the Four Paths. It becomes an object to the Paths and Fruits, and is called Nibbāna because it is a departure (ni) from cord-like, (vāna) craving.

Nibbāna is onefold according to its intrinsic nature.

According to the way (it is experienced) it is twofold - namely, the element of Nibbāna with the substrata remaining, and the element of Nibbāna without the substrata remaining.

It is threefold according to its different aspects, namely, Void (60), Signless (61), and Longing-free (62).

Great seers who are free from craving declare that Nibbāna is an objective state (63) which is deathless, absolutely endless, non-conditioned (64), and incomparable.

Thus, as fourfold the Tathāgatas reveal the Ultimate Entities-consciousness mental states, matter, and Nibbāna.
See discussion here:
The Puzzle of Nibbana
Nibbana (Pages 353-58)

shoel
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm
Contact:

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Shoel,

To clarify, you're interested in nibbana as explained in Abhidhamma?

Metta,
Retro. :)

Abhidhamma is the hardest to learn in BUddhism. but i would like Nibbana to talk haha

shoel
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm
Contact:

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by shoel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 am

plwk wrote:
http://www.palikanon.com/english/sangaha/chapter_6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nibbāna however is termed supramundane, and is to be realized by the wisdom of the Four Paths. It becomes an object to the Paths and Fruits, and is called Nibbāna because it is a departure (ni) from cord-like, (vāna) craving.

Nibbāna is onefold according to its intrinsic nature.

According to the way (it is experienced) it is twofold - namely, the element of Nibbāna with the substrata remaining, and the element of Nibbāna without the substrata remaining.

It is threefold according to its different aspects, namely, Void (60), Signless (61), and Longing-free (62).

Great seers who are free from craving declare that Nibbāna is an objective state (63) which is deathless, absolutely endless, non-conditioned (64), and incomparable.

Thus, as fourfold the Tathāgatas reveal the Ultimate Entities-consciousness mental states, matter, and Nibbāna.
See discussion here:
The Puzzle of Nibbana
Nibbana (Pages 353-58)

Thank you so m uch for reply,

I want to ask , can you and I see where is NIbbana in the puthujjana stage, or can you/we see nibbana in this stage?

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6525
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by Cittasanto » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:04 am

shoel wrote:Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:
Does not apply!
asking what nibbana is can only be answered in the negative, it is the absence of greed hatred and delusion, no-more becoming, re-becoming....
asking where nibbana is, is like asking where fire is when it goes out! it is in no place, yet visible here and now.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
...
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Gena1480
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 am

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by Gena1480 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Nibbana is freedom

User avatar
acinteyyo
Posts: 1684
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: what and Where is Nibbana?

Post by acinteyyo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 am

Manapa wrote:
shoel wrote:Please can you explain me what and where is Nibbana? :bow: :juggling:
Does not apply!
asking what nibbana is can only be answered in the negative, it is the absence of greed hatred and delusion, no-more becoming, re-becoming....
asking where nibbana is, is like asking where fire is when it goes out! it is in no place, yet visible here and now.
:goodpost:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests